NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-18, 11:46 AM   #1
jjbeno
Native

Default Let the farm know one of their pigs escaped!

I have fished this stream which I have called my favorite probably about 50-70 times in the last two years. This weekend I decided to fish the lower end which never produces well for me but it paid off. After about an hour of fishing I somehow spotted this guy in a nice shallow run. At first I though it was just another fish rock that I got too excited about but then he turned and flashed at me and I knew my eyes werenít deceiving me. I cast my hopper dropper over him many times, no interest. Switched to smaller nymphs, larger, attractors, naturals and even an egg, no luck. I dropped back to the next pool, tied on a wooly bugger and took position back where I felt comfortable not spooking it and waited a little just in case it became weary of me when I moved back in. As I was standing in the pool the fish dropped right being me in about 5Ē of water. I plopped my bugger in front of it, gave it a twitch, and bam Iím on. I couldnít believe it. I grabbed my phone to try to record some of the fight by placing it on the stream side but as soon as I did that the fish took me downstream about 4 pools. 17.5 minutes later I landed the fish with no net on a 4 wt with 6x tippet, ran back up stream to get a few pictures and let the beauty go. What an experience, I didnít think a fish like that was possible in GA public water!

Measured at 22Ē with my iPhone measure app but the shoulders on this guy were insane.

One final thought (sorry for the long post), and people might get mad at me once I say this but I have to bring it up because itís strange. When the fish dropped behind me in the pool, I noticed there was another fish tucked up right next to it and if Iím not mistaken, these fish were spawning. In fact Iím about 100% sure they were. I didnít realize this until it dropped behind me and I saw the other fish with it. But the fish was making some weird movement when I saw it before like what appeared to be rubbing on the bottom causing it to flash for 3 or 4 seconds. Has anyone ever seen rainbows spawning in the fall before??
And before you shame me try not fishing to the fish of a lifetime because itís spawning in the wrong season and the fish swam off very well into the same pool I caught it in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jjbeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-18, 01:38 PM   #2
splatek16

Great story.
And there are strains of rainbows that spawn in winter, so it's possible, although it might also be cornfused by the whacky weather, lol

Not sure if you were being serious Amor a pig escaping the farm, but that happens. A buddy and I have gotten a few that way, wrote the shock on a small stream.

splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-18, 02:21 PM   #3
flyfisher062305
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbeno View Post
Has anyone ever seen rainbows spawning in the fall before??
Awesome report!

The spawning activity is definitely far earlier than expected and I might hesitate to believe you if I didn't witness the same thing this past Friday at NCF. There was no mistaking the hen bow we watched less than 20' in front of us in about 5" of water going through the typical egg laying dance for around ten minutes.

Mark
flyfisher062305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-18, 02:31 PM   #4
Philhutch80
Native

Default Aw esome Fish!!!

Super Super cool fish!!! That is the nicest bow I have seen from public waters in a long long time!!! Congrats!!!
Far as the spawning goes, which Splatek16 alluded to, the Feds have eight different phenotypes of rainbow trouts that came from all different environs. As a result they also happen to have staggered spawning patterns that vary from the normal mid to late spring spawning period. I have had bows drop eggs or milt in every month except July-Sept. You also may notice on some rainbows that they will have an orange slash on the underjaw. From what the folks at multiple hatcheries have said it is a recessive gene that is showing up but they are not cutbows.
That is incredible that you caught that fish the way you did. If you released the fish I hope she spawns successfully!!!

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
-Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
-PH
Philhutch80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-18, 02:39 PM   #5
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
Super Super cool fish!!! That is the nicest bow I have seen from public waters in a long long time!!! Congrats!!!
Far as the spawning goes, which Splatek16 alluded to, the Feds have eight different phenotypes of rainbow trouts that came from all different environs. As a result they also happen to have staggered spawning patterns that vary from the normal mid to late spring spawning period. I have had bows drop eggs or milt in every month except July-Sept. You also may notice on some rainbows that they will have an orange slash on the underjaw. From what the folks at multiple hatcheries have said it is a recessive gene that is showing up but they are not cutbows.
That is incredible that you caught that fish the way you did. If you released the fish I hope she spawns successfully!!!
Add to that pellet / chow that is likely laden with hormones and what not and the reproductive process might be upregulated. We see that in humans; human are actually seasonal breeders to some extent, but in western cultures and cultures that are affluent (i.e. we have all the available resources to just keep making babies) we prosper when it comes to reproductive success. Could be a similar mechanism at play here: no reason to delay repro, because there are a bunch of floating pellets every tuesday and thursday to keep our babies cooking... so to speak.
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-18, 03:24 PM   #6
muddy waters
Native

Sooie!!!

Itís not every day that you catch a 22í bow with a kype in a Georgia creek.

Anyone know the growth rate on a small water bow? Iím curious how long this thing has held over assuming it was stocked at 10-12í.
muddy waters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-18, 08:40 PM   #7
Speck
Hall of Fame Member, Moderator

Very nice. They're up there - even in the remote waters where they never see a pellet - but hard to find and even harder to catch. Good job!

Follower of Christ
Pursuer of trout
-------------------------------------------------
"Your genuine action will explain itself and will explain your other genuine actions. Your conformity explains nothing." -- Emerson
Speck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-18, 11:06 PM   #8
buckman1
Native

Awesome fish!

I have a theory based on nothing scientific, but I believe trout in our state can spawn throughout the year. Sure, in the fall, browns and brookies have a peak spawn, and in March rainbows peak, but I also believe there is spawning activity in our streams 12 months a year? Iíve cleaned fish with mature eggs and milt all year long, stockers and wild fish.
buckman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-18, 09:57 AM   #9
jjbeno
Native

Thanks all!
Because of where this fish was caught and it’s weight I do think It migrated upstream to spawn from its pellet filled home. Interesting thoughts about hormones in the pellets. I worked in the CNF hatchery in Suches last summer and saw the ingredients in the pellets as well as what is added to them and I’ll just say it’s not mayflies caddis flies and stoneflies �� so that would make sense.
Also it is true that fish probably could have success spawning year round in GA and if it’s successful then it’s reasonable that different populations could emerge that spawn at different times. And the success of these fish could have something to do with being fed pellets, so maybe has one of these late spawning populations.
I was really fishing for a brown that’s prespawn. I caught two browns this weekend and neither seemed to have spawning colors or be on it’s way to spawning ground. Any one having luck on the prespawn small stream brownies?

Last edited by THE EG; 10-18-18 at 02:27 PM.
jjbeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-18, 10:19 AM   #10
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
human are actually seasonal breeders to some extent,

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote