NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-18, 05:36 PM   #11
FairWeatherFisherman
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
Spot light? Our NC Mountain Rescue team told our TU meeting that the best way to be located is a high intensity flashlight aimed up into the trees. They said even in the rhodo thickets they can see that light for miles when searching at night.
Good to know about the spot light.
FairWeatherFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-18, 05:38 PM   #12
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
Spot light? Our NC Mountain Rescue team told our TU meeting that the best way to be located is a high intensity flashlight aimed up into the trees. They said even in the rhodo thickets they can see that light for miles when searching at night.
Yes! Surefire lights are awesome for lighting up the sky.
huntfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-18, 09:44 PM   #13
I_got_skunked
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrun View Post
Been a while since I've seen this topic - I've surprise-spent the night out a few different times after getting caught between or on the wrong sides of rivers during massive rainstorms near dark in the Cohutta.

I blueline with a pack and it typically includes lighter + waterproof matches, knife, tactical tomahawk, emergency bivy sack, space blanket, tarp, cordage, poncho, lifestraw, sawyer mini filter, whistle, mirror, one head lamp, one small flashlight, cliff bars. Depending on temperature and conditions, I'll throw in a change of wicking clothes, wool socks, hat. Weighs 20-ish pounds? I've needed to use it twice and it didn't disappoint - which is what I remind myself every time I think it's overkill to take it.

I also leave plans, routes, etc with my wife or dad before I head out. It can be pretty hard to turn around even when you know you should. Glad you made it out and good on you to remind us all of the stakes out there.
20 lbs!?!? I've got my kit in my sling pack. Could use some additions if I am being honest, but I've only needed it once. I alluded to it here, but I hurt my knee bad just before dark a couple of miles down a very steep trail from my car last spring. Took a while to make it back. The water filter has come in handy more than once.

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-18, 10:52 PM   #14
mudrun
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_got_skunked View Post
20 lbs!?!?
Yep - good practice for loooong trail runs where you also have to navigate. Running pack is slightly heavier because although I don't bring bladed tools, I do bring calories. 20 lbs is not that big of a deal.

If I left knife and 'hawk at home and chose a lumbar pack or something, it would weigh next to nothing.

Knees are a sucky thing to hurt.
mudrun is offline   Reply With Quote