NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Watercraft
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-18, 01:09 PM   #1
muddy waters
Native

Default Bunk Board Rebuild

Long story short the boat gods have demanded a fresh sacrifice from my bank account and my bunk boards need replacing. Anyway I’ve never had to do this before and I’m planning on building a fresh set from scratch and want to make sure I’m not going to mess this up with an idea I had.

The old bunk boards were attached with wood screws going up through the mount brackets into the board and that’s where they rotted out. My idea was to drill holes for 1/4” bolts through the boards and then cut a 1” hole about 1/4” deep at the top of the board. I’d then run a bolt and washer down through the board and secure it to the bracket from below with a nut and washer. I was also planning on filling the hole with silicon before putting the bolt though to keep water out but I don’t know if that would work well or have the opposite effect. As for the carpet I was going to lay it on before putting the bolts through and have it run under the top washer. I’m going to recess the bolt so it’s below the top of the board but otherwise they’ll be bare. Any issue with this or should I carpet over the bolts?

Lastly, will regular pine boards work or should I splurge for pressure treated?
muddy waters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-18, 01:48 PM   #2
troutbum69
Native

I used pressure treated and did the recess for a bolt like you're talking about. A spade bit works fine for the countersink then just go back with a regular drill bit for the bolt hole. Make sure you make the countersink large enough so that you can put a socket on the head of the bolt. I covered in carpet but I wonder if you could use those trex decking boards in place of carpeted bunks and never worry about rot again.

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-18, 01:51 PM   #3
troutbum69
Native

Also I'd run hot dipped galvanized bolts and just hit them with some paint once it's all assembled.

And don't use silicon. It'll only trap what little water finds its' way in there and accelerate rot

"Stop Whining"
Old 10-22-18, 08:04 PM   #4
Bfish
Native

Deck boards won't hold the weight (trexx etc) and they can and do warp and rot.

Pressure treat can leach chemicals into the water, also some metal coatings will interact.

If you only want to replace them once, go with HDPE (100% plastic) such as Ultimate bunk board brand. No carpet needed.

If you go wood, a water resistant wood such as cypress or redwood last longer than pine. Carpet under or over is your choice. I would go over.
Bfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-18, 10:01 PM   #5
troutbum69
Native

If pressure treated's only con is leaking chemicals into the water then I'll take it. It's not like all the oil that drips off some vehicles stays off the ramp. Or the grease in the hubs that go into the water. Or the countless ounces of lead you'll break off in the river that day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
Old 10-23-18, 06:52 AM   #6
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Pressure treated is a no-no for aluminum boats. Past that, you're good. The amount of chemicals that comes off treated wood into the water is insignificant.
They build docks from pressure treated, don't they?

The PTFE bunk pads screw down to the runners. You can get them from Amazon. I looked into them when I redid the bunks on a trailer. Not recommended on fiberglass over 1500#, or painted hulls.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-18, 10:04 PM   #7
Bfish
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnpreacher View Post
They build docks from pressure treated, don't they?....
Can't say for other places, but on TVA reservoirs, anything below waterline can not be pressure treated. Above water line pressure treated is fine.
Bfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-18, 11:16 PM   #8
troutbum69
Native

I think we can all agree PT on a boat trailer is the least harmful thing to be dipped in the water every time you launch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"