NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-18, 04:04 PM   #21
I_got_skunked
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
Well if folks didn't want folks to know then you all don't need to know, that's all I'm going to say.
So, you're just making something up to join in on kicking of the fallen. Got it.

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-18, 10:55 PM   #22
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default 7th Grade Girls Hall --- Again

Really? More snide remarks? If you care to toss barbs at one another please take it to the PM mode.

As for "unknown undertones", Blue Ridge and Fannin County are still small, mostly rural populations just now really learning how to live more on tourism. Fifteen years ago, it was illegal to provide alcohol at a public gathering unless it was on church grounds. A very nice little Italian restaurant opened on the east side of town and allowed brown bagging. Until the local rulers discovered this trespass and outlawed brown bagging. They fought the 20th century long and hard. So there are "undertones" in that a great deal of town and county business is no doubt still conducted after church or at the local BBQ. Just life in small town America of Norman Rockwell that looks so quaint, until you are on the outside looking in.

Back on point, I think part of the struggle is that Blue Ridge and Fannin still have very small resident populations. Lots of visitors and second home people, but the everyday and voting public is pretty small. This is more a point that Jimmy Harris could speak to, but I think the lack of a resident fly fishing population has to be a business limiter. I have always tended to buy my gear, especially the higher end stuff, from the shops closest to where I live. Sure, I visited all the shops that were in Blue Ridge, but usually for flies, and leaders and etc. I have no clue what the critical mass of people is to support a local fly shop, but it seems Blue Ridge is not there yet.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-18, 05:05 PM   #23
The Snag Whisperer
Native

I think that a well stocked fly fishing vending machine is all that town needs. Right there by the Dollar General that we all take a left at east of Ellijay.
The Snag Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-18, 07:38 PM   #24
I_got_skunked
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snag Whisperer View Post
I think that a well stocked fly fishing vending machine is all that town needs. Right there by the Dollar General that we all take a left at east of Ellijay.
Shut the front door, y'all turn left there too???

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.
Old 10-23-18, 09:28 AM   #25
fredw
Native

Default Cohutta

Saw on Facebook this morning that Cohutta is opening a new shop in Blue Ridge.

Cohutta Fishing Company
24 mins

We are excited to be opening our second location in Blue Ridge, Georgia! We Look forward to serving The Blue Ridge community, greater North Georgia, and beyond with the same level of service and expertise we have provided in Cartersville for the past 9 years! Stay tuned for more updates!

Best of luck to Andy and the crew!
fredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-18, 09:34 AM   #26
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredw View Post
Saw on Facebook this morning that Cohutta is opening a new shop in Blue Ridge.

Cohutta Fishing Company
24 mins

We are excited to be opening our second location in Blue Ridge, Georgia! We Look forward to serving The Blue Ridge community, greater North Georgia, and beyond with the same level of service and expertise we have provided in Cartersville for the past 9 years! Stay tuned for more updates!

Best of luck to Andy and the crew!
Well, there you go! Andy figured out the secret to a successful fly shop in Carterville of all places (he basically built a high end gift and clothing store that also happens to sell top notch fishing poles and fly fishing stuff). If anyone can make it work in Blueridge, it is Andy Bowen!

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-18, 10:08 AM   #27
henryc
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
The shop in Blue Ridge has a lot of unknown undertones to the general public that has caused the shop to close. With the present owners and past.
Not sure what you exactly mean by past owners but I can say for certain that when the original shop was owned by Unicoi Outfitters there was nothing but honest and hard working owners with no shenanigans going on in that business.
henryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-18, 06:36 PM   #28
jonmo
Native

Not sure of how to interpret the vague innuendos on the history of Blue Ridge fly Shops, but
we'll just give best wishes for any new potential owners of Outfitters in Blue Ridge..

Doc

Last edited by jonmo; 10-23-18 at 06:46 PM.
jonmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-18, 08:44 PM   #29
Dawg Vet
Native

I just got an email from Cohutta that they were opening a shop in Blue Ridge. I am assuming that they may be taking over the former shop. Hope they do well

"I will make you fishers of men" - Christ
Bamboo rods, Clear streams, and old Jeeps
Dawg Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-18, 09:29 PM   #30
I_got_skunked
Native

I just hope they aren't plagued by any mysterious ska bands.