NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-13, 10:09 PM   #1
Brotherbear
Native

Default Who Originated NGTO

I would like to hear some historical contributions as to the origin of this site.
Old 10-28-13, 10:54 PM   #2
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Across the top of the page you'll see links to About and FAQ. Those will get you started.

I should add that others may come along here shortly and add their two cents (Drifter).

ETA: The short answer is a fellow named Aaron Sago (Asago), and several others, started NGTO. It may have started as a BBS back in the pre-web days.

From our About page:
Quote:
Aaron created NGTO in 1994 out of a love for the outdoors and the love of fly-fishing. It is his hope that this little contribution will serve to create a higher awareness of conservation in our little corner of the world.

Last edited by Trout8myfly; 10-28-13 at 11:08 PM.
Trout8myfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-13, 11:27 PM   #3
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Aaron Sago was the brainchild.....back in late 96, early 1997. The Ole Man is the resident historian and has a memory like an elephant. Here's a glimpse at the first message board. Aaron has since moved to Florida and graciously turned over his creation to the NGTO President and its Board of Directors. Perhaps we can do a formal interview with Aaron to find out the details. He is still a sponsor here at NGTO with his Georgia Fishing Books website.

We started as a bunch of local trout bums that signed on to a message board set up by Sago. Looking back....it was a clunker of a message board compared to the VBulletin software we use now. Anyhow.....we soon started sharing knowledge and fishing with each other. My first trip out west was with some guys I met here.

We then began getting together at someone's house, church or school and tied flies. My fly-tying progressed tenfold thanks to these little get-togethers. Our little group began to grow. Someone suggested we have a more formal get-together, grill some dogs and burgers and talk fishing. These get-togethers began to gather steam and each successive one had more attendees. We began having raffles and door prizes with items donated by local flyshops. The Fish Hawk and Unicoi Outfitters were early supporters of NGTO. These get-togethers became known as "fly flings" or "flings" for short. One of our first large flings took place at the Jones Bridge Park picnic pavilion. We even had one at Hiwassee Outfitters in Reliance, TN. The name "North Georgia Trout Online" was Aaron's idea as far as I know.

As our group began to grow....someone suggested we start taking on projects such as stream improvements, litter pick-ups and work days in cooperation with DNR and the USFS. NGTO began to ally itself with the Georgia DNR early on. Through DNR (Bill Couch et al) we were allowed to do things that had never been done before. We actively assisted with trout stocking. The fine folks at the Buford Hatchery eventually opened their doors and welcomed NGTO twice a year for the more formal "flings". With the raffles and auctions that took place, we quickly found that we had generated funds. So now....what should we do with these funds?

At some point....I'm thinking around 1999 (Jack ...is this right?) we discussed and formed a Board of Directors and drafted a mission statement. We achieved non-profit status thanks to the legal work of member Edwin Lamberth. Edwin has since moved to Mobile with his family but comes back on occasion to fish with us.

With each year that passes....NGTO grows its ranks....and funnels any monies raised toward projects that are in line with our mission statement. As a past director....I can assure members that money raised for NGTO, is carefully monitored and directed toward worthy projects.

I know I've left out a bunch of stuff....perhaps past directors: The Ole Man, Fairweatherfisherman, Grizz, GregLS, Windknot, EG, Superchub, KB, Flygurl and some of the other "old timers" will weigh in.

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Last edited by Drifter; 10-28-13 at 11:44 PM.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-13, 07:27 AM   #4
Kent
Hall of Fame Member

Thanks...that little trip down memory lane was fun...I've been lost for a hour or so perusing classic old posts, particularly from Hooker and GRWilt.

NGTO was definitely ahead of its time...fun to see the old talk about current "new" fly rod species like stripers, carp and gar...

Then there are the classics like Hookers reply to the mention of a nude sunbather at Island Ford - "using visual acuity to adjust the stiffness of your rod in mid stream is an interesting concept. Anyway, I had a buddy of mine that was taking Vi@gra and iron pills together, and he was having a real hard time fishing. It seems his tube kept swinging around and pointing north".
Old 10-29-13, 09:35 AM   #5
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Dave B. (Hooker) was one of the earliest members along with yourself. For those of you that did not know Hooker....he was one of the first guys to use an outboard jet on the Hooch. I remember at each get together....Dave would bring his boat and we'd get to see his latest adaptation. In those days....jetboat technology in Georgia was non-existent.

Kent....I think I first met you at one of those early Flings. Kent is a guide in the Columbus area and would always share his knowledge of shoal bass and stripers by doing presentations and casting instruction. I met another long-time member, Dave Edens. Dave was an accomplished rod builder and got me started with my first build. Dave has since moved to St. Simon's and is a fishing guide and longtime sponsor of NGTO.

EG, Jack, Mike W. Greg.....can you add anything?

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Last edited by Drifter; 10-29-13 at 09:43 AM.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-13, 10:01 AM   #6
wtbfishin
Native

Aaron must of also had a lot to do w/setting up the Pensacola fishing forum, as it is almost a dup of NGTO, and he used to regularly post there.

Not long ago he made a post that he had lost some of the drive that got him out on the water and was hoping he could rekindle that passion. Many made suggestion on what might help. I asked what heck you going to do take up golf? I received no response but it is clear he has moved on to something else or just keeping a low profile as I have not seen a post from him in quite sometime. Maybe some you old buds of his could help the guy out. Give him a call .

Speaking of T.O.M. where is he. Hope he is doing well, he has been noticeably absent to me .
Old 10-29-13, 10:32 PM   #7
Brotherbear
Native

" That's what I am talking about Willis "
Old 10-30-13, 02:11 PM   #8
Architorture
Native

And if you're gonna be down in Pensacola, give Aaron a shout on here. He was kind enough to take me out fishing back in the Spring and we had a good time finding some trout of another variety on the big rods.
Architorture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-13, 02:14 PM   #9
THE EG
CFO, HoF Member, Director

Post Maybe TMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbfishin View Post
Speaking of T.O.M. where is he. Hope he is doing well, he has been noticeably absent to me .
As I understand it The Ole Man is presently out and about on his 50th wedding anniversary.

So I'll try and explain who...and why NGTO is a non-profit...since I asked Sago a long time ago why he started NGTO. Get a Jager Bomb in Aaron and he'll tell you anything. This is what Jack Daniels allowed me to remember.

While an IT student at Kennesaw State College Aaron Sago got into trout fishing and noticed there was not any type of online information where he could go about trout fishing in Georgia...like he was finding in other areas of the country. So he created one of his own...NGTO. Might have even been a school project but I'm not sure about that.

So he launched the NGTO web site and one of the components was a message board. I think "Gerald" who was a professor at Auburn was the first poster. Have to confirm that though. Look back through those old archive diagonal threads that Drifter posted if you want to see who is really old. Be forewarned: as Aaron is one of those libertarian-types there were no rules (referred to sometimes as the "good ole days".

Sometime in '98 Aaron implemented the new vbulletin format. Nice to see "fly vs. spin" never changes.

www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39984&referrerid=7292

Part of the initial plan was that this would be an attempt on Aaron's path to fame and fortune as originally NGTO was a commercial site where he would sell wares and create riches similar to Bezos and Gates. If you look back you will see references to an online flyshop partnered with KBE Flies. There was a set of plans for a fly tying table The Ole Man had designed that were for sale. There were a couple other such ideas which also slip my mind at the moment. He took credit card payments.

The idea was to create an online community where folks would come, hang out and spend a little money. However, he didn't realize how much work this took and how "thrifty" trout fishers were. He started to recognize they loved to talk trout but it was difficult to figure out ways to pry money from their tight little hands. So although he was pulling in $12 a month from flies and such (I think one set of tying table plans was sold, good thing The Ole Man was already retired as he wasn't getting rich off royalties either), the writing was on the wall that NGTO was not the path to the riches of which he had dreamed.

NGTO's 1st sponsor...an outdoor lighting company. And a gator fan to boot!

www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35979&referrerid=7292

As Drifter pointed out already, folks started to do some things on NGTO such as clean-ups, signage for Noontootla, Kid's Fishing Days and get-together's that drew alot of folks and were beneficial to the Georgia trout community. Recognizing there was not much in the way of financial gain to NGTO but also seeing it grow, Aaron decided for several reasons that non-profit status was the best avenue.

A coordinating meeting was announced for Bimbo's Saloon in Marietta. Yes, I said Bimbo's. Don't laugh, the Georgia Women Fly Fishers used to meet there. Somebody filmed the meeting and it was posted on the web site at one time. Somewhere around here there is archival 8mm footage of that historic event. About 20 or so folks showed up.

www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35177&referrerid=7292

Because of that meeting where enough interest was shown, Aaron decided to proceed with non-profit status. Before ASago, his board name was "NGTO". If you want a feel of what he used to do on the web site, use the advanced search function and search the name "NGTO" in the "find threads started by User" mode.
www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39733&referrerid=7292

Anyway, the below thread explains alot. (Notice the difference in dates of threads. This was not a speedy process)

www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36997&referrerid=7292

Edwin volunteered to do the lawyering.

www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48843&referrerid=7292

Nor was it a neat and clean process...

www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48841&referrerid=7292

BOD was and is appointed. 1st group.

www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48846&referrerid=7292

Some early non-profit promotion

www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37372&referrerid=7292

NGTO becomes an ".org"!

www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37198&referrerid=7292

It's Official

www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39486&referrerid=7292

After Aaron decided to step down as president Greg was the one on the BOD that went to the bathroom first, was new and gullible, and was thus nominated and appointed the first president after Aaron.

www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48941&referrerid=7292

As I said previously, things moved slowly...for the first year or two the BOD kind of sat around and said, "so what does a BOD do"

www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40300&referrerid=7292

They started doing a bit more and as they say, "The rest is history!"

P.S. Aaron got a wild hair and up and moved to Gulf Breeze, FL where you can find him today.

P.S.S. He has a perchant for blowing things up.

Last edited by THE EG; 10-30-13 at 02:23 PM.
THE EG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-13, 08:22 PM   #10
FairWeatherFisherman
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Well this thread reminds me that if you aren't getting out to the Flings or getting together with other fisher-people on NGTO, you really are missing the opportunity to make some life long fishing friends.

I've enjoyed hundreds of fishing trips with friends I made on NGTO. Hooker and I are fishing Saturday and God Willing we'll catch a fish.
FairWeatherFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote