NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-14, 08:06 AM   #21
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Wow....time flies.

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-14, 08:31 AM   #22
jeffg
Hall of Fame Member

15 years.. that is a lot of lies and a lot of **** lies
jeffg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-14, 10:22 AM   #23
FishWillie
Native

wow, very entertaining...you guys are old......will
FishWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-14, 01:17 PM   #24
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Wow is right, I went by RSB on the old forum and switched when I couldn't remember my password. Hooker helped me out a lot back in my rookie days, I remember the time I fished with Superchub and Aaron at IF. I remember the Fling at the Gwinnett park at Jones Bridge and Lisa Klein the DNR biologist SHOCKED the crowd by encouraging us to keep brown trout as there were too many!

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-14, 07:33 AM   #25
Rocketroy
Hall of Fame Member

Thumbs up Remember when/why/who!

When the birth-site is Buckhead,the addy is Pharr Rd,and fishing the Hooch preceded Lake Lanier Dam......the when/why/who becomes a challenge,to this 83 year old mind......but here goes:Fishing the hooch,before damming, all access points from Roswell north to Lula,with then new- to- the- sport spinning rods{still have an early ultralight Alceda-micron rod/reel!} Working my way thru college @ local and only real sporting goods store at 5 points,( Walthour and Hood } beside then legendary sportsmen: John Martin and Everett Roach { who founded the Fish Hawk!},all Before freeways and Helen became as a re-furbed Alpine village,I and my buddies fished Dukes and the upper Hooch,on dirt roads,avoiding real mtn.men and their stills! Among the locals, we spent several l afternoons in spring, listening to the legendary Officer Woody......The DNR officer in the mtns. most responsible,for Deer re-introduction,as well as protecting your states natural assets,in the mtns.! These Mtns,,were my playground,in a day,when catch and release were a radical concept....only practiced by members of an early Trout unlimited membership,derided as eletists! But enough about my favorite subject{ me!},and on with how N.G.T.O.,came into my life!.......................Flash forward to 1989,when I was lucky {re. skilled ! } enough to retire,@ 59,and after living practically on the Hooch,all my life,shifted to trout fishing in my own back yard, got up to date on things called computers and googled up the emerging NGTO,,about ten years later!!!!} The first Flings I attended were more like an afternoon pot-luck type get together/family reunion,around tailwater trout fishing at the most southern point on our compass,in urban and growing Atlanta! The early yearly events morphed into eaten/greetin/tyin/lyin/buyin afternoon events.....with some very basic casting games..........Loving competition,in any form. soon had me doing some crude attempts to presentation delivery AKA fly casting efficiently! WOW.......Were we mostly behind the learning curve {Curve casting being one learned and effective delivery}....yet,to be mastered! Being ego-driven,and learning from certified intructors,after the 1999 move to Clarkesville, Ga. { Home of Foothills T.U. }, I soon volunteered to stage the fun casting games,for early Flings {assisted eagerly by many volunteers,not to forget,good cooking!} Flings came and went,as does time,health issues,life events,gains/losses,with NGTO always always a part of my morning online routine! Such a valuable experience is still a part of this writer,remembering the many friendly casting/tournament/ F/F contests/Flings/events by any other name,which draws together like spirited folks of quality! Before This becomes a too-long post,about just one leg of a very fortunate foundation of living well,just know,that good fortune and good people are in the mix! Not a good- bye piece,by any means.....just to say thanks to the loose history that is being described thru this medium.......it,s magical!!!!!! Regards, Rocketroy
Old 12-20-14, 10:01 AM   #26
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Thanks Roy! I enjoy your historical account of the early....early days! We missed you at the Fling this year. I need to stop by the Chateau de Roy soon and have another beer on the porch.

Best,

Drifter

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-14, 10:32 AM   #27
TheBreeze
Formerly AWBivins

This thread is awesome. I'm excited to read about the history of NGTO - can't understand where you're going unless you understand where you've been.

íViva los fun hogs!

Follow me as I follow Drifter on Instagram
TheBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-14, 06:44 AM   #28
B Kar Ma
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Does anyone remember the year that the fling was first held at the hatchery?
Old 12-21-14, 10:26 AM   #29
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,

After joining NGTO in Dec 1998, I first went to a Hatchery gathering in the Spring of 1999. This was not an NGTO Fling. In 1999 and prior, the DNR held an annual "Spring Trout Primer" just before trout season opener. The Hatchery building was cleared out of tools and machinery and booth/tables were set up inside. The US Forest Service was there, Natl Park Service, Georgia Women Fly Fishers, Chattahoochee River Keeper, NGTO and others. There was no meal served at these DNR events. Later in 1999, a Fly Tying get together by NGTO was held at the Hatchery at which time a Poll Vote was taken to measure interest in NGTO becoming a non-profit. Also on that evening, Aaron Sago was presented with a new Sage 590-4 Light Line Rod from the NGTO Membership. I believe the next Fling in the Spring of year 2000 was held at Jones Bridge Park-Gwinnett at which time just prior to the Fling, NGTO BOD members met with Attorney Edwin Lamberth (NGTO BOD Member and Legal Advisor) to begin the process of obtaining non-profit status. Following year 2000, NGTO held several Flings at Jones Bridge Park, one was held at a City Park in Marietta, one was held on the Hiwassee River in Reliance ,Tn and some time after that, the Flings started to be held exclusively at the Buford Hatchery. Prior to 1999, NGTO may have had a couple of burger/dog cookouts (possibly at the Buford Dam Park) but were not holding events at the Hatchery. I recall the first "cooking" Fling at the Hatchery when Brent volunteered to cook burgers and dogs. Aaron gave him some raffle tickets for his efforts and he promptly won a fly rod in the raffle. Brent may recall what year that was--Drifter also brought his driftboat that year and a small event tent was set up outside the Hatchery. Pictures in the archives somewhere.
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-14, 11:31 AM   #30
Kent
Hall of Fame Member

First "event" i attended was at some school...tying i think.No clue where & was pretty small...

Last edited by Kent; 12-21-14 at 11:32 AM. Reason: sp
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote