NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Fishing Tips and Techniques
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-13, 02:23 AM   #11
Blueridgeflies
Native

with the european nypmhing the lines you use really comes down the style you use. The short leader (Polish, and Czech styles) styles you can use a standard fly line. The reason being you are fishing fairly heavy flies pretty much right under the rod tip. With the French and Spanish nymphing (normally termed long leader) you can use the same line. The reason being the leaders for thise are often in excess of 40ft long. (I have several that are in the neighborhood of 55ft).

Fro those that are looking at competition fishing a coming rule change will mean a change to those that use a long leader. The rule is a leader can be no more then 2x the length of the rod. Which with the max rod length allowed being 12ft if my memory is correct. It will mean the average comp angler is using a 20ft or shorter leader. (Most fish a 10ft rod though some do use 11ft). For that though a new product has come out in the last six months. It is a nymphing line made by Rio but is only sold by Blue Quill Anlgers. This line is different from any other line in that at the thickest it is only .025" This puts it in approximately the same diameter range as 25lb-30lb mono. Which happens to be the running material used in some long leaders. Being a comp angler I recently bought this line, and on the one occasion I used it liked it a good bit.

Just a warning on what to expect, it is a thin diameter nymphing line. This means it is designed for fishing up to about 35ft away using long leader techniques. So if you buy it don't expect to just throw it on a reel and start making 50+ft casts. While it can go over the 40ft, it works best at about 20ft.

For those that have questions feel free to shoot me a pm.

http://www.bluequillangler.com/Produ...O#.UqVv1PRDtlw
Thank you, dear God, for this good life and forgive us if we do not love it enough. Thank you for the rain. And for the chance to wake up in three hours and go fishing: I thank you for that now, because I won't feel so thankful then. - Garrison Keillor

Team Georgia, Competitive Fly Fishing
http://flyfishingteamgeorgia.webs.com/
https://www.facebook.com/Teamgeorgiacff/
Blueridgeflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 07:19 AM   #12
Chuck Morris
Director, Hall of Fame Member

Steve,
I'll make up an assortment of Allen hooks (All barbless) for you to try.
Wide gap dry, jig, streamer, scud, etc.
Chuck
Old 12-09-13, 08:26 AM   #13
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Thanks Chuck. I was hoping you would interject. Have we covered the venders that you use for hooks and beads?

With all the rain this past weekend....I spent some time at the tying desk. I like that tying lamp by the way I cranked out a couple=o=dozen heavily weighted Girdle Bugs....actually my version of the Hothead Marvin that is so popular on the Tuck. I have since found out I probably should have tied them on a jig hook I tried them out Friday morning when there was a break in the weather and caught fish.

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 08:32 AM   #14
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Thumbs up

Thanks to all! I think we are about to get it covered. Are we missing anything?

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 08:38 AM   #15
Chuck Morris

Steve,
Pretty much Allen for hooks. Just got almost 400 for about $17. Allen had a 50% off sale. They have these sales on a periodic basis.
Beads are from a variety of sources. The e-bay route sometimes is the way to go. Remember that all beads are not made the same. Some have quality control issues.
It seems that some tiers are having trouble with regular beads on jig hooks, and are using slotted beads. I have not encountered that problem, and use regular beads. Even craft store hollow beads work for me. I use the 60 deg. jig hooks.
You know me, if there is a bargain to be found, somehow I'll find it!
Don't know when I'll get to fish again. Doris is having her second eye surgery this Thursday AM and does she ever milk the restrictions after surgery for all that it's worth.
Chuck

Last edited by Chuck Morris; 12-09-13 at 08:49 AM.
Chuck Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 12:12 PM   #16
Gatorbyte
Ex El Presidente Supremo, Happy Cowboy Sunshine Boy (currently in exile on Elba)

Send a message via AIM to Gatorbyte

I had the good fortune of meeting Joe Goodspeed on Saturday and we talked about the Cortland Rods and their construction as well as the new 120 grain line. He is using a mono core on the new line if my memory serves me. I have the older cortland 140 grain Nymphing line and like it a lot but it has it's limitations. It's a bit thicker than I would like. The new 120 grain may be the ticket as it is not a double taper. More of a WFF. It is low stretch but supple. I personally do not like using "Long Leaders" as mono is in your hand. I can't feel it well when my hands are cold, and maybe do to years in saltwater, I was taught not to put the mono in your hand in fear of losing a finger if a 30# king decides to smoke a reel. The new Cortland rod is really sweet and has some great features. One of the them is reel seat. It is"solid" as he describes it this better supports the but of the blank and transfers energy better. Translating to higher sensitivity. That really helps on subtle takes.

ad illudendum , et in sibilum

"Laughter is my drug of choice"
- B. Nelson, HSD, AA, BS, MS, LPC, LMHC, NCC, FFF CCI, ACI, PADI AD, OPP, OCD, ADHD, ODD, PIB, MIB, PBR, PB & J, General Manager of the World, Fluent in Sarcasm

TBoy to GB: "An education doesn't fix stupid, you're living proof of that "

"Your a Idiott" - RScott

I Beat Tommy King in a Spelling Bee.
Gatorbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 02:14 PM   #17
Chuck Morris

For brass beads, coneheads and hourglass eyes check:
http://www.wholesaleflycompany.com/
Old 12-09-13, 02:25 PM   #18
Blueridgeflies
Native

With the wide gap hooks I would suggest using them for tying nymphs on. The wider gap has given me slightly better hookset and holds. As well they are excellent y2k hooks as the material is less likely the obstruct the hook point.

For beads I wold suggest two places. For tungsten, Rip Lips has a pretty good price on 100 packs. (starting at a round $12 depending on the size.) For those that still use atleast some brass (like me) then a great place to check is Blue Quill Anglers. They offer less of a color variety of brass then Rip Lips, but the smaller lots of 100 beads is a big plus (RL does brass in lots of 200). As well the price for most of them is only $5 per 100 even in 4mm and bigger beads. I have quite a few of their and find they offer a better quality then Rip Lips. Though Rip Lips is still a good place to get brass. Especially for hot beads or ones that are brown, black, or a matte black finish.

For a czech nymphing rod, I am a huge fan of the 3wt 8ft BVK and the conversion kit. It is more expensive then some rods but works very well even on large fish. (To date the largest fish I have pulled around with it was pushing the 28in mark)
Thank you, dear God, for this good life and forgive us if we do not love it enough. Thank you for the rain. And for the chance to wake up in three hours and go fishing: I thank you for that now, because I won't feel so thankful then. - Garrison Keillor

Team Georgia, Competitive Fly Fishing
http://flyfishingteamgeorgia.webs.com/
https://www.facebook.com/Teamgeorgiacff/
Blueridgeflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 11:52 AM   #19
TheBreeze
Formerly AWBivins

Hey Steve,

As far as a source for purchasing flies for czech nymphing etc., I would highly recommend Blue Quill Anglers and Trout Legend. I've probably purchased close to 100 flies from each of these and have been pleased with what I received.

This thread is awesome by the way, as I'm now beginning to try and learn how to tie and the materials sources are great!

ˇViva los fun hogs!

Follow me as I follow Drifter on Instagram
TheBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-13, 09:07 AM   #20
pbourcq
Native

Lots of stuff covered here. Im pleased to see interest. Seems that this style gets less and less resistance as the years tick on.

I fish Hanaks almost exclusively. I get them wherever I can. But Umpqua does sell them under the U400 name. They are Hanaks.

Chuck gave me some Allen hooks….I like them too. If you know me you'll know ill fish anything as long as I don't have to tie it lol.

Ill 2nd Blue Quill angler. Its run by Steve Parrot. He's a fellow Team USA member and actually grew up and started Asheville Anglers in the Asheville NC area. He's a very good stick and can tie really well. If you call hell talk to you and answer any questions. His tying material selection is top notch and I find myself using him and Kevin Compton at Performance flies for the majority of my tying materials. I tie a lot so getting good stuff is important.

For whatever its worth my setup currently is
Cortland 10.5 foot 3 weight
Hardy (anything works) 3/4 DD Reel
Cortland 120 grain nymph line
Hand Tapered Leader. Built from Maxima
Small piece of amnesia
Cortland Sighter
Trout Hunter Tippet
cobbled together flies.

Ive not fished my William J. confluence in a while. Ive been fishing my old Simms G3 vest. Both work fine.

www.turningstonesflyfishing.com

www.usyouthflyfishingteam.com
pbourcq is offline   Reply With Quote