NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Welcome to NGTO > NGTO President / BOD Announcements
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-14, 02:39 PM   #11
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

It's a generational thing to maintain.

Think of Twitter as a 140-character Associated Press or UPI news feed that everyone can receive at any time - or can use to transmit as a one-person news bureau (your challenge is finding the followers).

It's not tough to maintain but we'll need to come up with fresh and meaningful content. Let's see how many followers we have by the Spring Fling (April 5) and by then I'll bet Swampy will know the level of attraction. I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised. Maybe even very surprised.

And no, I don't tweet. Or twerk (which would be hysterical to see).

But i know that Twitter is just one more arrow in a quiver of good communications.
Trout8myfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-14, 03:13 PM   #12
David Parker
Native

I've got a twitter but no clue on protocol. @DAshleyParker

by the time I learn how to work it, it'll be on the outs and something new will take its place. Cool that yall are on there now.

I still remember the refrain of one of the most popular barrack ballads of that day which proclaimed most proudly that "old soldiers never die; they just fade away."
And like the old soldier of that ballad, I now close my military career and just fade away, an old soldier who tried to do his duty as God gave him the light to see that duty.

Gen. Douglas MacArthur
David Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-14, 03:35 PM   #13
Swamp Angel
President

Apparently we're doin' somethin' right. We don' have a huge follerin' yet, but we do have some rather large entities in the fly fishin' community who are follerin' us an' "retweeting" a few of our tweets. This happened frequently enough today that we got the follerin' notice:

When you make a "tweet", if you type "#flyfishing" somewhere in the message it'll allow that message to be spotted in a group of other related messages. Apparently, our tweets garnered more attention in that genre today, and someone has decided to make a little game of it and keep tabs.

Not bad. Not bad at all.
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Last edited by Swamp Angel; 01-20-14 at 03:48 PM.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-14, 04:13 PM   #14
netsec
Native

Setup an Instagram account as well. Then get an account with HootSuite to manage Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram all from one location.
netsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-14, 04:15 PM   #15
David Parker
Native

added. #20

yall makin me blush about my age. Just call me teh baby

I still remember the refrain of one of the most popular barrack ballads of that day which proclaimed most proudly that "old soldiers never die; they just fade away."
And like the old soldier of that ballad, I now close my military career and just fade away, an old soldier who tried to do his duty as God gave him the light to see that duty.

Gen. Douglas MacArthur
David Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-14, 04:30 PM   #16
Swamp Angel
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsec View Post
Setup an Instagram account as well. Then get an account with HootSuite to manage Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram all from one location.

One thing at a time. We're learnin' how to walk an' chew gum at the same time right now.
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Old 01-20-14, 05:05 PM   #17
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsec View Post
I just hope I am not alive the day NGTO becomes self aware.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-14, 06:11 PM   #18
THE EG
CFO, HoF Member, Director

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Why does NGTO need this?
In the immortal words of John Blutarsky, "It don't cost nothing."

I'm gonna have to go to my kids again.
Old 01-20-14, 06:18 PM   #19
Swamp Angel
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
I certainly am under no illusion that anybody cares for up to the minute updates about my activities,
Actually, I would LOVE to me able to keep up with your activities on the river on a by the minute basis! Of course, I have ulterior motives - like catching fish.
Old 01-20-14, 11:09 PM   #20
madfishinskillz
Native

Like said above, Instagram is really big now. And I think it is pretty easy. A LOT easier than Twitter. I had a twitter, but I found it too dang complicated. I can give an Instagram 101. Do ya'll know about hashtags yet?

#trout #bigtrout #Hooch2High #southerntrout #madfishinskillz #hoochtrout

So here's the order of what the kids did...Facebook, then Twitter, Instagram.

http://www.youtube.com/madfishinskillz
madfishinskillz is offline   Reply With Quote