NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Welcome to NGTO > NGTO President / BOD Announcements
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-14, 10:06 AM   #21
netsec
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Angel View Post
One thing at a time. We're learnin' how to walk an' chew gum at the same time right now.
I'm happy to help out and provide training or support if ya'll need. I live and breath technology so its no skin of my back.
netsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-14, 10:17 AM   #22
netsec
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
I agree with all the sentiments above: Good job, but I won't Tweet.

As a Devil's Advocate: Why does NGTO need this? I barely understand the need for texting (why not call?), and I certainly am under no illusion that anybody cares for up to the minute updates about my activities, nor do I need that from anyone else. I have never wished I could shout out to all the NGTOers WHILE I was fishing (as Sam said, "but that's just me")

Isn't this just another "thing" to have to maintain?

FM
I think its important to keep a clear distinction between conversational services and social media. Phones, email and forums are conversational services intended to engage a user base in a truly meaningful and context rich manner, whereas social media such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are systems that allow you to share a moment-in-time event with event rich context (location, images, individuals you're with). That said...

There's definitely a generational gap that will affect the NGTO user base. When I was little kid I had a TV that I still needed to adjust the antenna for and changed stations with a knob, but by high school I had a cell phone and several computers and was online and communicating with the world in a phenomenally new and interesting way. Now the high school generation is using tools like Instagram and Snapchat to go beyond the function provided by Facebook and Twitter, and they rapidly adopt new technology as it emerges.

Let's be honest, none of us are getting any younger and it's important for the longevity of this hobby that new generations are engaged and excited about it. Embracing social media systems as a method of outreach and interaction with newcomers is a great starting point, and only one of many new potential avenues to explore.
Old 01-21-14, 10:59 AM   #23
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

What netsec said, it's about the future.

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-14, 11:53 AM   #24
fishmonger
Past Director, Hall of Flame

Excellent long response, and short one too.

So, as an old guy who prides himself on being more up to speed on technology than the average old guy, in a practical sense, what benefit could I get from this? I am not arguing or naysing in any way, I truely don't see the benefit.

Or to make it not just about me, what would be a tweet that would be "meaningful content"? Let's say we all get Twitter, and that a bunch of us are at Paces fishing the DH. So I catch a few on a black Bugger, would my Tweet of "try a black bugger" be considered meaningful content? I am sure some of you have read a "don't expect to be spoon fed" rant from me here before, this seems to be the 21st century version of that problem. And wouldn't we be considered nerds squared for being fly fishermen and techno-junkies.

I have a short film in my head:
Pan shot of a bunch of guys fly fishing. Zoom in on a guy catching a fish. He releases fish and pulls out his iPhone and types something, then goes back to fishing. Zoom out to wide angle. Suddenly all the guys stop fishing, pull out their iPhones and read something, then all change flies. Soon all the guys are catching fish.

Alternate ending: Only the first guy keeps catching fish. Soon, all the other guys stop fishing and start grabbing their iPhones and typing with intensity. The one guy catching leaves, only to be followed by rest of the guys to his truck where he gets his beat down. (Maybe I have found my niche in the NGTO Twitter program? )

I understand Tweeting for news junkies, but I just don't get it in the case of us I-Love-Fishing-types.

FM

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder
fishmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-14, 12:49 PM   #25
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

FM - you are an old, semi-nerd. I dont think that by the minute fishing reports or updates is where the benefit of Twitter is for NGTO, more of communicating events and driving potential users to the forum for a more detailed trip report.

I often carry my phone with me as I need to be reachable sometimes, but will also hit a FB post with a pic, especially when I can make fun of myself. But just like Twitter, participation is by opt in, some will like it, others will not. If it doesn't take or becomes too much administrative burden to handle, we can just turn it off.

Of course when I complete the GPS hack into your cell phone it will be a lot easier to plot your course on the minnow, then it will hit all of our social media

"...And wouldn't we be considered nerds squared for being fly fishermen and techno-junkies"

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Last edited by Gatorbyte; 01-21-14 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Missed a great line
RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-14, 12:59 PM   #26
Swamp Angel
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScott View Post
Of course when I complete the GPS hack into your cell phone it will be a lot easier to plot your course on the minnow, then it will hit all of our social media
Shush your mouth, Scott! The GPS tracking device was to be kept under wraps until we got it properly installed. (I thought the BOD had opted against hackin' his phone's GPS in favor of a hardware attachment to the hull of the Minnow. Did I miss somethin' in the lastest politburo meeting?)
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-14, 01:17 PM   #27
netsec
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
And wouldn't we be considered nerds squared for being fly fishermen and techno-junkies.
When we meet face to face I'll give you the run down on some seriously geeky fishing-related projects I've been kicking around in my head. They're complex enough to make even my head spin a bit!

I'd like to respond to the larger question, I enjoy these discussions, but it'll have to wait until tonight, my meeting schedule is slammed the rest of the afternoon. Stay tuned.
Old 01-27-14, 10:14 AM   #28
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

This sounds interesting and I'm thinking of trying it as soon as I educate myself....like how much of the data is collected by NSA, etc.

Valid points made by all.....but I'm thinking if we stay away from "hotspotting" tweets....everything should be okay.

I'd personally like to see tweets that mention:

- good restaurants near good fishing
- road conditions
- crime reports (car break-ins) at fishing locations, etc.
- "bargains" as local flyshops

...stuff like this.

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-14, 10:21 PM   #29
MariettaMike
Native

first thing I remember being taught about fishing is you don't talk about catching…polaroids showed what you caught, and that was that…I'm just getting to the check in thing on FaceBook, by the time I get around to Tweeting my grand kids will be using telepathy implants…jus say'n.

Next time I hear a cell phone ring in the woods I'm going to quit hunting.

C'mon guys, "You gotta put down the ducky!"
Old 02-13-14, 01:18 PM   #30
TheLastTieFlyer
Native

Follow me at @ShaneeGal
TheLastTieFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote