NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Off-topic Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-14, 09:19 PM   #1
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Default The Stock Market

For those of you that delve into the world of stocks and bonds.....you certainly know that things have been good lately. Well......take a look at the following graph. Notice how today's market is tracking, when compared with the 1929 market. Could we be headed for a crash?

Complete story here:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sca...ion-2014-02-11

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 10:03 PM   #2
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

I have all of my money buried in pork futures. Bacon is always a good investment.

PS: many safeguards exist today that did not exist in 1929. Not saying another super crash could not happen, but there are automatic "breakers" that are supposed to halt trading during panic selloffs. This way you get a more tempered adjustment versus a true market crash.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 10:35 PM   #3
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Interesting....I have been watching my retirement and it has done pretty good the past 12 months, but has started dropping the past week or so.......

May be time to settle back into something a little safer..........before I....

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 10:46 PM   #4
narcodog
Native

I read today that it was a slight correction that they have been expecting. It's not a full correction as the market did not drop enough points. With the market up nearly 20% in the last year a correction of 10 points is of little consequence. imop
narcodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 11:39 PM   #5
raptor
Native

One of the most important factors that caused the "great depression" was not only the stock market, but that so many banks went "belly-up". Didn't have the federal insured funds that you have in place today.(I think funds are insured to $250k). My grand father was able to remove his money from the banks before they shut-down and never again put money in the bank. During the depression (he was a farmer so food was not a problem), he dealt with cash only and the "bartering system" for other necessities.. I think there is a song about a "country boy will survive"...

Having said that, I transferred my account from "high risk" markets back during the stock market debacle in the 90's to secure funds. Don't get the highs, but also don't lose anything when it turns south... I don't have the personality to worry about stocks..
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-14, 10:18 AM   #6
SpeyBro
Native

Default insurance?

Raptor, not sure what you mean by, "Didn't have the federal insured funds that you have in place today . . ." If by "funds" you mean cash money and the risk of losing it by fraud on the part of the entity where the cash is deposited, then yes, SPIC and FDIC programs are there for the investor's protection. But unless I'm missing something big here, there is no insurance for 'market risk' when you purchase a stock fund, bond fund, commodity fund . . . One can create a portfolio with varying risk esposures---but you can't eliminate completely market risk from the equation.
Old 02-12-14, 11:31 AM   #7
raptor
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeyBro View Post
Raptor, not sure what you mean by, "Didn't have the federal insured funds that you have in place today . . ." If by "funds" you mean cash money and the risk of losing it by fraud on the part of the entity where the cash is deposited, then yes, SPIC and FDIC programs are there for the investor's protection. But unless I'm missing something big here, there is no insurance for 'market risk' when you purchase a stock fund, bond fund, commodity fund . . . One can create a portfolio with varying risk esposures---but you can't eliminate completely market risk from the equation.
I was talking about the FDIC which was passed into law in 1933 (I think). Before then, if the bank "ran out of money"...then you were SOL...
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-14, 12:23 PM   #8
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default Stock Market vs. Economy

I believe the stock market no longer reflects the actual economy anymore than a win streak in Vegas says you are a great gambler. The primary reason is that stocks bear no direct relationship to a company's actual net worth or value, but are a tool for speculators. Ask any corporate executive today what is the most important thing to the company? They will respond "Share Holder Value" which translates to stock price. Easiest way to do this is keeping large amounts of cash in hand driving up the speculative value so corporate and individual share holders see more $$$ on paper. This is where the biggest hole exists in their highway paved with gold because at some point the company has to invest in the business or go belly up. If multiple large corporations blow out at the same time the last recession will look mild in comparison. Another reflection of the very short view of today's CFOs.

In the mid 1980s Equifax technology planners visited a company in Boston that had developed a very early version of on-line trading with a new system that predicted where any stock price would go. The technology was impressive and the company could have just ruled the market but they were actually selling this system. At one point in the afternoon, a senior aide walked into the executive conference where we were meeting with the company's President. A whispered conversation and the president said their system had just predicted a major decline/collapse and said this company should sell all their stocks immediately. The president approved the sale and the next day was when the market collapsed for the 1980s recession. That lesson has stayed with me. And it is one more reason why the stock market is a bogus economic indicator. There is no real concern for the value of the company, only the price of the stock and whether it's headed up or down.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-14, 12:31 PM   #9
bigorangefan
Native

Location: Alpharetta physically, standing in a stream mentally

Stock market advice and comments from a bunch of fishermen. hmmmm
bigorangefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-14, 12:45 PM   #10
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigorangefan View Post
Stock market advice and comments from a bunch of fishermen. hmmmm
Don't forget the free legal and medical advice as well.

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote