NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Off-topic Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-17, 08:18 AM   #251
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Question Business Tax Cuts?

I have serious doubts about any business tax cut stimulating the economy via job growth through new investments, research, etc. But a question for the knowledgeable: Do any corporations actually pay the current 39% federal tax rate? There are multiple deductions, tax credits, government hand-outs (mining, forestry etc) that should be taken into account off setting any tax payments. So what is the typical actual tax rate a business pays over the last 10 years or so?
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-17, 09:42 AM   #252
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

I don't know John! They are slashing the corporate tax rate from 35% down to 21%, which is huuuuuge! If there is more money to spend on their business, then they will spend it. Most business sat on their cash for the last 8 years for obvious reasons and they are more than ready to grow (look what has happened over the last 12 months without a tax cut!) This could be the last piece of the puzzle to get that spending pump really moving. And as the Gipper said, a rising tide then lifts all boats!

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-17, 09:43 AM   #253
eyeflyfish
Native

I think it depends on the size of the corporation and whether they have an international presence. I can only speak from personal experience. Last year my company was taxed at 39%. I thought we had a great year. After taxes, fully funding my 401K and paying for healthcare insurance and the out of pocket costs (my family has some chronic issues) there wasn't much left.
So the difference between 39 and 20 would be significant for my business and the ability to invest in other things. Whether that be an employee, corporate retreat more marketing, etc. I do not know yet. Whatever it might be someone down the line will be making more money because I have it to spend.
eyeflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-17, 10:13 AM   #254
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

...I keep tellin' ya'll...silver, silver, silver...it's going lower and will always be a valuable long-term investment...it's like gold, only lighter...wait til it bottoms out and buy some...or, some more, if you already have some...it has done well by me since 1969...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-17, 11:44 AM   #255
Buck Henry

Have to disagree with you Jimmy. On principle, precious metals are typically horrible from a long term investment strategy due to their inherent volotility. Gold and sliver are great if you are planning for the zombie apocalypse, but not so great if you are looking for a long term predictable return on investment.

PS: not saying that having some solid metals as a part of your portfolio is a bad idea, but they should not be the foundation.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Old 12-14-17, 12:38 PM   #256
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Do corporations pay tax? I know in theory and on paper that corps are responsible for a certain percentage of their income as taxes. But don't corporations have that already figured in as a cost of doing business?
What I'm saying is, doesn't the consumer ultimately pay all taxes?
The consumer pays for the cost of a new vehicle. The cost of that vehicle includes parts, labor, shipping, advertising, sales, showrooms, TAXES, etc. The corporation may show that they paid a certain dollar amount, but that dollar came out of the consumer's pocket.
If these tax cuts on businesses come through, the money freed up by the tax cuts could and should benefit the consumer, the economy, and the businesses all.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-17, 03:09 PM   #257
eyeflyfish
Native

preacher,
I would look at it the other way, businesses pay all taxes. They risk capital and effort to create a product and service. Employ people to work. The business pays taxes on the employees income, the employees spend their money other products which include sales taxes from the wages paid to them by their employer. Then if the company is able to squeeze out a profit, the fine federal and state governments come along and take a confiscatory share. The governments did not risk any capital or effort; did not stress over if receivables were going to be enough to meet payroll this month. So in the end it is commerce that pays taxes not an individual or a company. If there is no commerce then there is no revenue generated for anybody.
eyeflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 09:15 AM   #258
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Well, I was waiting for the first update of the new year and finally got it this morning. I got 17.65% for the year 2017, most of it coming in the second half of the year. I can live with that.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 09:39 AM   #259
Buck Henry

Dang Preach, that is an amazing return! I had a solid 13% increase in my net worth in 2017 so I am not complaining. Thanks President Trump!

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Old 01-03-18, 10:36 AM   #260
Uncle Fun
Native

Anyone care to share their stars for the year? Most of my $ is in funds, but identifying a few stars is always rewarding.

For 2017
Dollar Tree +47%
Walmart +46%

The one that got away Blackberry. I watched and watched and never pulled the trigger. They have moved to a pure software play and could have a bright future.
Uncle Fun is offline   Reply With Quote