NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Off-topic Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-18, 12:27 PM   #261
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

401k invested in T.Rowe Price small cap fund. 80% invested in small company stocks.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 12:47 PM   #262
GoutUnlimited
Native

BTW bitcoin hit about 19.5K mid december a few days after my prediction. Nows a good time to get in. Its not that volatile. If I had a few shekels stashed away...I would keep an eye out on cryptoRubles. Sanction proof.
Old 01-03-18, 03:00 PM   #263
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default Corporations/Business Taxes

Any business or corporation today paying the full 39% (or whatever it is) tax rate needs to immediately fire their CFO. The tax code is very complex and thousands of pages to deal with all the exceptions, exemptions, and "free" government money they utilize. Well managed companies pay more like an actual 8% to 12% tax rate and then some of that is offset by state tax credits.

If I wrote the tax code it would read like this: For every $100 in profit send Uncle Sam $8. There would no longer be exemptions, deductions or tax-exempt status, not even for churches. Collection plate has $100 in it? Set aside $8 for Uncle Sam. Make a killing in the stock market or real estate? No capital gains .... make $100 in profit, sent aside $8 for Sam.

However. The only arm of the government bigger than the US Military is the IRS. You think that fat cow is going away anytime soon?
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 12:06 PM   #264
fishnpreacher

The Dow has hit 25,000 for the first time in history. Also of note, only 23 days since topping 24,000, the shortest time span between 1000 point gains.
Yíall hang on, we going for a ride!

Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
Old 01-04-18, 12:17 PM   #265
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Wink Yippy - Skippy

Yippy - Skippy about the Dow because you have to ask yourself what does this mean to me? Did my real income go up, is my employer investing in employee education, new product development, an enhanced profit sharing plan, or research and development? Or are they taking their stock options, buying back company stock or just building giant investment accounts?

Point being for the working middle class the stock market bears no reflection on your income and lifestyle.

And never, ever forget Newton's third law.
Old 01-04-18, 11:23 PM   #266
fishnpreacher

What this means to me is, when the market goes up, my balance goes up. If you count this as "real income" or not is up to you. It's money in the bank to me.

God loves BBQ!
Old 01-04-18, 11:39 PM   #267
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Itís not real until itís realized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Trout8myfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 08:22 AM   #268
fishmonger
Past Director, Hall of Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
Yippy - Skippy about the Dow because you have to ask yourself what does this mean to me? Did my real income go up, is my employer investing in employee education, new product development, an enhanced profit sharing plan, or research and development? Or are they taking their stock options, buying back company stock or just building giant investment accounts?

Point being for the working middle class the stock market bears no reflection on your income and lifestyle.
It probably does if you are retired, and worked in the private sector, where they long ago figured out that the ponzi scheme that is called a pension is unsustainable without a constant inflow of someone else'e money.

I am sure that if the markets and the economy performed like they have over the last year from 2009-2016, you would have made the same statements, right? Riiiigggghhhhtttt.

FM

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder
fishmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 02:01 PM   #269
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default The Statement

"Riiiigggghhht": Yes I would have and did state the exact same thing during the last administration, the one before that and the one before that. The stock markets are a good gauge of market fund managers relative optimism or pessimism on the pending fall or rise in prices but that's all they really are. Ever hear gamblers talk about how much money they lost on their last trip to Vegas? Same with most who manage their own funds. If you have funds invested in the stock market and the market goes up, your account will show an increase. And the next "correction" will take it all back.

Do I own stocks? Yes I do and I select mine based on the value of the stock relative to the value of the company.
Old 01-05-18, 02:20 PM   #270
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
If you have funds invested in the stock market and the market goes up, your account will show an increase. And the next "correction" will take it all back.
That is where your argument falls short John. Corrections can and will happen. But if you are a long haul investor, the market has a long and storied history of providing a solid return. I think the average per year return on equity investments since the American stock market came into existence is 8.2% and that includes the Great Depression! That is a decent payback in anybody's book.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote