NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-14, 08:47 PM   #1
DestinJames
Stocker

Question Nice Float-tube Fishing Atlanta Area?

I love Being on the River, but sometimes I want a relaxing float (one person inflatable with fins) with relatively calm waters, and not worry about drifting away too far from my access point.

Are there any nice lakes/ponds, gentle Hooch areas, etc. around Atlanta?

I live in Marietta, but don't have a problem traveling too far.

I'm from Michigan, and miss catching the vivacious smallmouth up there, and have been told Shoal Bass are very similar.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
DestinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 09:07 PM   #2
Swamp Angel
President

An excellent float can be had on the 'Hooch between Abbott's Bridge and Medlock Bridge. The water flows at a good pace so as you won't get stuck "in the doldrums" but it isn't so fast that it will sweep you along at speeds approaching Mach 1. You'll find a moderately deep water for the most part (averaging from 4 to 8 feet in depth - sometimes a bit deeper, sometimes a bit skinnier). There are a couple shoals that will afford you the opportunity to stand and wade, and even an old Indian fishing weir that may or may not produce fish, depending on the temperament of the local finned denizens at any given time.

The upper reaches of the tailwater from the dam to Bowman's Island is also a good section for floating. Some folks continue their float all the way to Settles Bridge from the dam, but I would recommend not doing so due to a particularly nasty chute near GA 20 that is not at all user friendly!
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 10:42 PM   #3
DestinJames
Stocker

Thanks for the informative and quick reply. Would you happen to know of anywhere I could float without drifting so I could easily get back to my access point after a few hours or so?

Thanks
Old 02-27-14, 10:50 PM   #4
Swamp Angel
President

Consider putting in at Rogers Bridge Park near Duluth. The water has a few slack areas there that would allow you to kick or paddle up to a small section of shoals above the dredging barge that's visible from the park. Or you could drift a couple hundred yards downstream of the park to pick fish out of the fallen timber on either bank. It may take a bit of kicking or paddling to get back to your entry point, but the exertion won't be so strenuous as to wear you out as long as you keep track of the path of the current and how far you have drifted.

I'd also recommend sending a PM to UncleJesse as he is quite well versed in floating several sections of the 'Hooch in that area.
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 08:25 AM   #5
UncleJesse
Native

Most of the river is good float tube fishing with stopping to wade along the way. People underestimate the time to float a section in a fishing float tube with great regularity. If someone tells you it's a 4 hr. float, figure it will take all day. There is a relatively new park in Forsyth County, Chattahoochee Pointe I think is the name, from there down to McGinnis Ferry will be a good all day float. From Settles Bridge down to C.P. will be a good float or some go all the way to McGinnis Ferry. From GA Highway 20 down to Settles is also good, if you can find a put in place at Hwy 20.

Most floats are one way no going back decisions, I don't know many places that you can buck the current and go upstream, with the exception being above Morgan Falls Dam. I have only fished that once and all we caught was some small bream. There are tons of lakes around ATL with fish in them, most of them are sitting in the middle of a residential development and require permission from a resident to fish as their guest.

Drop me a PM when it warms up a little more, I have a couple of tubes and we could do a point to point float.
Old 02-28-14, 09:31 PM   #6
DestinJames
Stocker

thank you! I will be sure to get a hold of you soon!
Old 03-01-14, 01:33 PM   #7
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary

One Two more options below Morgan Falls Dam:

Cochran Shoals Park (West bank) - There is a marvelous, manicured trail heading upstream from the parking area. Walk as far as you're comfortable, then plop in the water and commence fishing/floating.

West Palisades Park - Same deal as Cochran Shoals.

See the Maps section to the left for a Chattahoochee River map..
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 07:07 PM   #8
Bfish
Native

I find a kayak paddle works much better than fins for movement. I still kick my feet to face a different direction, but to move any direction I like the kayak paddle. It also makes it easier to get out and wade, if desired. PS I am in V-shaped tube.
Bfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 02:32 AM   #9
ICHTHUS
Native

Default JONES BRIDGE

DestinJames,
I like the Fulton Co side of Jones Bridge off Barnwell rd. You can park in the last lot and get in at the canoe launch. You can float down and get out at the boat ramp. There is a good trail back up to the parking lot. I just throw the tube over my shoulder and hike back up. If yours is too large to carry you could put in at the boat ramp and fin up. The lower section is slow enough. The upper part of the float is shallow and the fish get hit hard due to easy access to waders but further down it gets deeper and only boats and floats get to fish it. Haven't seen any shoalies but have caught a few sun fish. Mostly trout. Try some size 14 or 16 gray emerging caddis nymphs.
Ich