NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Fish Tales!
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-14, 01:06 PM   #31
Jason
Georgia Master Naturalist, SOLO Advanced WFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EG View Post
There are some very reverant traditional flyfishers (even on NGTO) who have great passion about the sport...and there are folks that don't care how they catch a fish.

You think it's loaded!?

Concede parum, nega frequenter, distingue semper - St. Thomas Aquinas

'Stand by the roads, and look and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is and walk in it, and find rest for your souls'. Jeremiah 6:16

"Wonder is the desire for knowledge" - St. Thomas Aquinas
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 02:22 PM   #32
THE EG
CFO, HoF Member, Director

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post

You think it's loaded!?
Huh?

Stupid 10 character min.
Old 03-03-14, 04:11 PM   #33
cgarofalo
Native

Default who cares?

You are fishing for non-native fish that only exist because the army corp of engineers built a water retaining barrier (take that filter) and ruined a perfectly good shoal bass river. Lets face it, as far as trout fishing is concerned, the hooch is pretty lame. You can have some great days out there, but if you had to choose between a good native western trout fishery and the hooch, you would choose the former every time. I'm super proud of the fish I have caught on the hooch that are over 17 inches, but to be honest, I have caught and released more quality fish in one day out west than I have in my entire life on the hooch.....and on hoppers at that! If you are fishing on the artificially created, and in the grand scheme of things, "kind of lame" trout fishery that is the hooch, who cares what technique you use to catch 10" trout! If you don't have a boat, your fishing options are pretty limited, and your chances of catching a large trout are low (Yes I know that you all caught a 20" brown that one time while wading, but you know what I mean). Why not give yourself the best chance to catch a fish during your limited time on the water. Most of the people catching good fish on the hooch are pulling streamers and casting plugs....techniques that "purists" look down upon. Some purists won't even fish nymphs. Some people don't fish worm or egg imitations. Some very egotistical and very vocal fishermen out west only skate flies for steelhead and think they are somehow better than nymph fishermen. Where do you draw the line? If you enjoy catching a large number trout just to have fun, DO IT. If someone "thinks its wrong" that's their opinion, and a silly one at that! I haven't fished power bait on a fly rod because I didn't even know that you could effectively and I'm not convinced that it would work any better than what I'm doing now. If I thought I could catch more or larger fish that way (and I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't if you know how to nymph fish properly), I would give it a try! Just remember, if someone "doesn't think its right" that you are catching more fish than them while you are following all applicable regulations, they are just jealous!
cgarofalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 04:33 PM   #34
UncleJesse
Native

Go ahead and do what make you happy that is legal. But, call it what it is, it's bait fishing with a flyrod, it's not fly fishing, there is not fly involved. I have done it with spinning reel, weighted bobber and crickets, it's great fun, but it's not flyfishing. I have a ultralight spinning rod I can cast a flyline with, but that is not spin fishing either.
Old 03-03-14, 11:08 PM   #35
troutbum69
Native

Gotta love the " we don't do that here" quote
http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/gink-...r-key-but-why/

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 08:01 AM   #36
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallen2112 View Post
Bill, your my hero!

And any man who fly fishes in a tuxedo on his wedding day ain't too shabby either!

Have a blessed day my friend!
How's your back?

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 08:27 AM   #37
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

"...flyfishing purity lasts only as long as the other guy is not catching fish with a spinning rod." --Hooker

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 12:29 PM   #38
flyg
Hall of Fame Member

Last few late summers I cheated catching "bream" on the fly by adding a piece of grasshopper to the hook. But I only did this to save time getting cut bait for my catfish juglines. After the jugs were out, I would fish for carp with an unscented fly. Personally, I cannot condone using a scented fly or bait on a fly rod except in extreme neccessity such as this.

G
flyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 01:00 PM   #39
franklinZappa
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarofalo View Post
You are fishing for non-native fish that only exist because the army corp of engineers built a water retaining barrier (take that filter) and ruined a perfectly good shoal bass river. Lets face it, as far as trout fishing is concerned, the hooch is pretty lame. You can have some great days out there, but if you had to choose between a good native western trout fishery and the hooch, you would choose the former every time. I'm super proud of the fish I have caught on the hooch that are over 17 inches, but to be honest, I have caught and released more quality fish in one day out west than I have in my entire life on the hooch.....and on hoppers at that! If you are fishing on the artificially created, and in the grand scheme of things, "kind of lame" trout fishery that is the hooch, who cares what technique you use to catch 10" trout! If you don't have a boat, your fishing options are pretty limited, and your chances of catching a large trout are low (Yes I know that you all caught a 20" brown that one time while wading, but you know what I mean). Why not give yourself the best chance to catch a fish during your limited time on the water. Most of the people catching good fish on the hooch are pulling streamers and casting plugs....techniques that "purists" look down upon. Some purists won't even fish nymphs. Some people don't fish worm or egg imitations. Some very egotistical and very vocal fishermen out west only skate flies for steelhead and think they are somehow better than nymph fishermen. Where do you draw the line? If you enjoy catching a large number trout just to have fun, DO IT. If someone "thinks its wrong" that's their opinion, and a silly one at that! I haven't fished power bait on a fly rod because I didn't even know that you could effectively and I'm not convinced that it would work any better than what I'm doing now. If I thought I could catch more or larger fish that way (and I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't if you know how to nymph fish properly), I would give it a try! Just remember, if someone "doesn't think its right" that you are catching more fish than them while you are following all applicable regulations, they are just jealous!
You are my hero.
franklinZappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 01:09 PM   #40
Remoh
Hall of Fame Member, Official Ambassador to the State of Alabama, Iron Skillet Award Recipient, and cruiser of the western Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarofalo View Post
I enjoyed your post. My Dad canoed the Chattahoochee from ATL to the Gulf Coast before the impoundments, before Buford Dam was built (mid 50's). I still have that canoe.
Remoh is offline   Reply With Quote