NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-14, 06:42 PM   #11
Orangepowerbait
Native

The dam is regulated by government. Several years ago they let out a billion gallons because they could not read the gauge. Surely there is a better way to satisfy all interest. I especially like the guy on the recording that can't speak English

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-14, 07:21 PM   #12
natureman
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangepowerbait View Post
The dam is regulated by government. Several years ago they let out a billion gallons because they could not read the gauge. Surely there is a better way to satisfy all interest. I especially like the guy on the recording that can't speak English

It had nothing to do with not being able to read a gauge. It was a new gauge part to replace the original fifty year old part. The original manufacturer and part supplier had incorrectly specified the diameter of the replacement part by about .001 hundredths of an inch. It could be read fine. It was really an issue of putting to much faith in a single measuring device. Because of this, today there are redundant lake level measuring systems at all COE lakes in the southeast and less likelihood of a re-occurrence. Also, some think releasing all that water was a total waste. In reality it passed thru over a dozen downstream COE and GA Power powerhouses producing a tremendous amount of cheap, relatively clean electricity. Though that does not in any way justify the mistake.

How do I know this to be true? I was there.

Last edited by natureman; 03-20-14 at 07:34 PM.
natureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 08:20 PM   #13
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Keep in mind that there are two states south of us....that have gone to court to get the COE / GA Power to release more water. For reasons other than power generation, they often need more water downriver.....fresh water for oysters in Appalachicola and barge traffic comes to mind.
And places like these:

Farley Nuclear Power Plant:

Plant Yates, Georgia Power

And in Smyrna, Plant McDonough:

Trout8myfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 08:26 PM   #14
Daves deceiver
Native

I realize that there are many factors that determine the schedule.However with schedules that are sometimes 5 AM sometimes 4:37 .Obviously this is pretty arbitrary.I'm sure a local TU chapter has to have had some COE person as a guest explainer.If not I would love to see it happen.How do other tailwaters handle releases with regards to fishing?Isnt it a huge waste to have a fish hatchery and dump in fish that fisherman (who pay for trout stamps)will never be allowed to fish for.Yes I know there are more important reasons for dams than fisherman but many states seem to have more flexible rules to allow for recreation
Daves deceiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 11:09 PM   #15
natureman
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves deceiver View Post
I realize that there are many factors that determine the schedule.However with schedules that are sometimes 5 AM sometimes 4:37 .Obviously this is pretty arbitrary...
I think you are not seeing the full picture. Lanier/Buford is unique compared to other dams like on the Nantahala that have set release schedules. I can think of few other dams/lakes like Lanier that have such heavy demands placed on them. Lanier holds over 60% of the water in the entire Chattahoochee River corridor, supplies over 5 million people with water, is upstream of a major metro area and downstream provides water needs for numerous cities and large industrial complexes. When SEPA manages the electric grid it many times depends on Buford to take up the slack from coal and natural gas fired power plants. Buford is also know as a "peaking plant" as it can start providing electricity in a matter of minutes vs. gas/coal plants that first have to build up a head of steam which is a lengthy process.

I don't think nitpicking changes in the water release times is justified. They have a job to do and I respect that. It is a complex decision making process involving a multitude of professionals from several agencies. I think many folks don't understand that and instead think it is some lowly government worker throwing a switch and trying to tick folks off. That's not how things work.
Old 03-21-14, 07:04 AM   #16
Daves deceiver
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureman View Post
I think you are not seeing the full picture. Lanier/Buford is unique compared to other dams like on the Nantahala that have set release schedules. I can think of few other dams/lakes like Lanier that have such heavy demands placed on them. Lanier holds over 60% of the water in the entire Chattahoochee River corridor, supplies over 5 million people with water, is upstream of a major metro area and downstream provides water needs for numerous cities and large industrial complexes. When SEPA manages the electric grid it many times depends on Buford to take up the slack from coal and natural gas fired power plants. Buford is also know as a "peaking plant" as it can start providing electricity in a matter of minutes vs. gas/coal plants that first have to build up a head of steam which is a lengthy process.

I don't think nitpicking changes in the water release times is justified. They have a job to do and I respect that. It is a complex decision making process involving a multitude of professionals from several agencies. I think many folks don't understand that and instead think it is some lowly government worker throwing a switch and trying to tick folks off. That's not how things work.
I know you are quoting the company line but thats your opinion and I dont buy that they cant alter the release times somewhat...as I said its sometimes some odd fraction of an hour like 4:47 ETC.there cant be any real reason for that
Daves deceiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 07:53 AM   #17
natureman
Native

Your opinion does not seem to be based on knowledge or experience, just what you choose to believe. I am in no way beholden to the all mighty federal government to be their mouthpiece. So I guess any attempt to explain things further or direct you to those that can is fruitless.

Last edited by natureman; 03-21-14 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-21-14, 08:06 AM   #18
oldgold
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves deceiver View Post
I know you are quoting the company line but thats your opinion and I dont buy that they cant alter the release times somewhat...as I said its sometimes some odd fraction of an hour like 4:47 ETC.there cant be any real reason for that
So if it took 26 minutes to power up the grid and they knew their peak power times started at 5:13, that wouldn't be a reason? I wouldn't use words like "can't". They are probably far from perfect, but they have been running that dam for almost 60 years. I would imagine there is a reason for the times they release at.

All that being said...
Can they alter the schedule.. Probably some.
Do they? Yes, they try not to release on the weekends.
oldgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 09:57 AM   #19
fishmonger
Past Director, Hall of Flame

Getting frustrated about how the COE operates the dam in relation to trout fishing is pretty much the definition of "tilting at windmills". Don Quixote would be proud...

FM

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder
fishmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 01:55 PM   #20
jimboyyy
Native

Do you ever notice that this discussion gets brought up every spring? Seems like we could make it a sticky. So that it doesn't have to keep getting rehashed. I am glad that I get to fish it occasionally. There are some tail races where the governing authority has closed the river to rec activity.

jimboyyy is offline   Reply With Quote