NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-14, 05:17 PM   #21
mbible
Native

Amen to the last two posts. The premise of OP was ridiculous and we've headed downhill from there.

Mods- the last time hydroelectric generation came up, the thread got closed by trout8myfly in under 24 hours and that thread had fact based, useful information on how hydro power works and where it fits within the overall generation needs of the region. It never got incendiary but I seem to recall that a "potential to be incendiary" was the rationale behind closing That thread... This thread has misinformation, racism, and cute pictures of power plants which mistakenly equate hydro as an alternative to coal and nuclear.

Where ya at guys??

Edit: just realized who posted the pictures... I'm nonplussed- are we only censoring threads that don't line up with your opinion? Please tell me more about plants Farley and McDonough and what point you thought you were making? If this is no longer a banished topic then by all means lets discuss.

Last edited by mbible; 03-21-14 at 05:28 PM.
mbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 06:26 PM   #22
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Hydro has never been a banished topic. I closed the other thread when it started to drift towards a flame war. Other mods can reopen it as need be or you can start a new thread on hydro and discuss hydro.

Why the photos? The downstream power plants require water and a lot of it and they require the Chattahoochee to deliver that water. No politics involved, just practical need. If the water doesn't flow then those plants are hindered, not just seafood and boats. It simply added to the comments made by Drifter.

I also deleted a couple of posts above because they were off-topic and violated one of our rules, even if in jest.
Trout8myfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 07:15 PM   #23
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

This topic does seem to come up every spring and frankly, gets none of us no where, and more importantly doesn't help anyone catch more fish. In a perfect world the Hooch, Nan and Tuck (to name a few) would only generate during hours of darkness, but that would defeat the purpose they were built for originally.

I feel the pain of 24 hour continuous generation, double pumps, and unplanned releases due to hydropower demand or equipment failure when the river is subject to rapid rise, turbulent flows and is dangerous. Enjoy it for what it is and don't hate it for what it isn't and never will be.

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-14, 12:36 PM   #24
mbible
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout8myfly View Post
Hydro has never been a banished topic. I closed the other thread when it started to drift towards a flame war. Other mods can reopen it as need be or you can start a new thread on hydro and discuss hydro.

Why the photos? The downstream power plants require water and a lot of it and they require the Chattahoochee to deliver that water. No politics involved, just practical need. If the water doesn't flow then those plants are hindered, not just seafood and boats. It simply added to the comments made by Drifter.

I also deleted a couple of posts above because they were off-topic and violated one of our rules, even if in jest.
I mis interpreted the point of the photos and agree with your point now that I'm clear.

Don't recall any flame wars on other thread. But see no need to further discuss. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 03-22-14, 02:59 PM   #25
motorbobb
Native

Default Why cant a COE expert address the subject?

This post reminds me too much of being back in the office.

We have some defending something COE practices without really having the expertise, and others decrying the practices with no more expertise than the defenders. Lots of debate with no sign of any resolution. Could be your normal workplace IT meeting...

Has anyone on the NGTO Board formally written to the COE (and / or your congressional office), explaining the situation and making a request? Maybe changes can be made. Maybe not. It would be good to actually hear from someone who evaluates these decisions about why the requested changes can / cannot be accommodated.
motorbobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-14, 06:38 PM   #26
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

The Corps works with NGTO with no generation on Fling days....for the drag-free drift seminar. You might say we have a "hookup". 😃

Sent from my Obamaphone II using Tapatalk v.2.01

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-14, 07:27 PM   #27
natureman
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
The Corps works with NGTO with no generation on Fling days....for the drag-free drift seminar. You might say we have a "hookup". 😃

Sent from my Obamaphone II using Tapatalk v.2.01
Also, with the National Hunting & Fishing Day “KIDS”FREE FISHING EVENT" held in the Lower Pool Park.
natureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 10:38 PM   #28
keeper27
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScott View Post
This topic does seem to come up every spring and frankly, gets none of us no where, and more importantly doesn't help anyone catch more fish. In a perfect world the Hooch, Nan and Tuck (to name a few) would only generate during hours of darkness, but that would defeat the purpose they were built for originally.

I feel the pain of 24 hour continuous generation, double pumps, and unplanned releases due to hydropower demand or equipment failure when the river is subject to rapid rise, turbulent flows and is dangerous. Enjoy it for what it is and don't hate it for what it isn't and never will be.
YES!!!

Completely agree with these words of wisdom. Guys, stop rehashing the same argument; no matter how badly we gripe and whine, it won't change the circumstances of the situation.

Tight Lines,

Joshua
keeper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 02:22 PM   #29
Fishbreath
Hall of Fame Member

Send a message via AIM to Fishbreath

Keep in mind too you we are fishing for non-native fish in an unnatural man-made cold water river that wouldn't otherwise exist without the dam. Just be glad it exists 20 minutes from a major metropolis!
Old 03-25-14, 08:48 PM   #30
natureman
Native

Good point. It was a warm water fishery before the dam was constructed. Also, the construction of Lanier allocated funds for local lake municipalities to modernize their antiquated sewage treatment systems that flowed into the river. I worked with an old timer that had a farm on the banks of the Chattahoochee before the lake was built. He told me that during the summers you didn't want to breath too deeply due to the stench coming off the river.

Last edited by natureman; 03-25-14 at 11:51 PM.
natureman is offline   Reply With Quote