NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fly Tying Bench > Fly Tying
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-14, 08:59 AM   #1
A Hopps
Native

Default NGTO Attractor Fly Swap!

Hey there fly fishin’ and fly tyin’ folks! I reckon it’s about time for another swap as it’s been a while since the last one. This season we’ve already had a few and they’ve been excellent! Whether you’re a fly swap aficionado or a newbie it does not matter, all are welcome and encouraged to join!

The theme of this swap will be attractor patterns. This is the opposite of matching the hatch. Attractors are what you might cast if you’re just trying to present the fish with something that looks so good that they will not want to pass it up. It’s just supposed to be buggy/yummy/lifelike in some way and convince a fish to strike even if there does not appear to be any feeding going on. They will often work even when nothing else seems to!

PARTICIPANTS: There are 12 spots in this swap so tie 12 flies! You’ll get 1 fly of each pattern in the swap.

WHAT TO TIE: Think Zug Bug (caddis, minnow?), Black Magic (stonefly or mayfly nymph, drowned spider?), Chernobyl Ant (stonefly adult, fallen terrestrial/hopper?), Adams, Humpy (mayfly? delicious?). You get the idea? Tiers can get very creative with these types of patterns so let your imagination run wild!

DUE DATE: September 16. Go ahead and start tying now and get ‘em in the mail. The faster I get ‘em the faster you can fish ‘em!

IDENTIFYING YOUR FLIES: To each of your flies, affix a tag to the hook with your name and the name of the pattern. The easiest thing to do is just copy and paste this info 12 times on a sheet of paper, cut it into rectangles, and poke the hook of a fly through it. Please don’t expect me to do it for you! Using tape or other gummy substances is probably a bad idea. Don’t forget this step because everyone wants to know who tied the flies

SHIPPING AND RETURN SHIPPING: Put your flies into something sturdy enough that they can withstand going through the mail twice. I usually use a large, padded envelope, but a small box will work as well. Inside that vessel, include either another padded envelope that is self addressed and stamped or include enough postage for me to return your box to you. This is very important!

WHERE TO SEND THEM: I will PM participants with my address.

Have your flies tied and in the mail by September 16! Tying sooner rather than later is always a good idea. I will turn them around and have them back out to y’all in a couple of days once I receive them. We want there to be time left in the fall for you to enjoy all the fun dries that are bound to be in the mix!

Some folks think that it is a nice thing to do to make an extra fly for the swap master. I am participating in the swap so please do not feel obligated to do this. However, if you would still like to, I will put any extra flies I receive toward introducing newbies to our great sport!

Good luck and enjoy!

***TIERS/FLIES***
1. A Hopps -- Madam-X with flash under wing
2. Fishbreath -- Royal Coachmen wet fly
3. Da Da's Fishing -- Da Da's Foam Stimi
4. Blueridgeflies -- Rainbow Sexy Waltz
5. Curt Bird -- Stonefly pattern
6. Primitivepete -- flourescent Sawyer style PT nymph

Last edited by A Hopps; 08-25-14 at 05:52 PM.
A Hopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 09:19 AM   #2
Fishbreath
Hall of Fame Member

Send a message via AIM to Fishbreath

Sounds fun! How about the classic royal coachmen wet fly?

Landon
Old 08-09-14, 09:28 AM   #3
Da Da's Fishing
Internet Technologies Officer, Director, Hall of Fame Member

I will play. Da Da's Foam Stimi. You will just have to wait and see what it is, but it looks tasty.

DD F
Old 08-10-14, 03:15 AM   #4
Blueridgeflies
Native

I am so in, unless something changes then I am tying a rainbow sexy waltz.
Thank you, dear God, for this good life and forgive us if we do not love it enough. Thank you for the rain. And for the chance to wake up in three hours and go fishing: I thank you for that now, because I won't feel so thankful then. - Garrison Keillor

Team Georgia, Competitive Fly Fishing
http://flyfishingteamgeorgia.webs.com/
https://www.facebook.com/Teamgeorgiacff/
Blueridgeflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 09:22 PM   #5
Fishbreath
Hall of Fame Member

Send a message via AIM to Fishbreath

Bump, lets get a few more folks on board!
Old 08-17-14, 09:38 AM   #6
curt bird
Native

Default Stonefly

OK - I am in! I have been neglecting my tying desk this summer due to huge amounts of other stuff to do and need a focus and challenge to get back to the vice. I will offer a stonefly - not sure which pattern yet as I am out of town - as it is one of my favorite prospecting flys for NC trout. Sounds like fun! Thanks for organizing this. Cheers, Curt.
curt bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 08:25 AM   #7
A Hopps
Native

Default 7 more slots to go!

Hey y'all! I finished tying up my Madam X's and took a few extras to one of my favorite small streams in N GA.

Elk hair, foam body, flash underwing, gold-bling legs.

Bows were tearing it up in the fast pocket water!

There is still plenty of time to sign up and send your flies to me. It will be fun to have a dozen neat attractors in your box this fall so come join us!
A Hopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 12:32 PM   #8
Blueridgeflies
Native

Just bumping this back up, I am sure there are plenty of others out there that have some good patterns to add to the mix.
Thank you, dear God, for this good life and forgive us if we do not love it enough. Thank you for the rain. And for the chance to wake up in three hours and go fishing: I thank you for that now, because I won't feel so thankful then. - Garrison Keillor

Team Georgia, Competitive Fly Fishing
http://flyfishingteamgeorgia.webs.com/
https://www.facebook.com/Teamgeorgiacff/
Blueridgeflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 11:02 AM   #9
Primitivepete
Native

Cool, I'll play. Just found this thread.

I'm in with a flourescent Sawyer style PT nymph.
Primitivepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-14, 09:17 AM   #10
Primitivepete
Native

[IMG][/IMG]

Just tied up a few. Yum yum, get you some!
Primitivepete is offline   Reply With Quote