NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Sponsor Forums > Cabin on the Creek
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-14, 09:07 AM   #1
TheWilyTrout
Native

Default Love this place

This report is a little late but better late than never, right?

My friends and I have stayed at Cabin on the Creek twice now and we absolutely loved it. We have stayed in both Cabin 1 and Cabin 4--both are equally fantastic, clean and enjoyable. Just to give a little example: usually when we travel, my girlfriend spends the first hour of each trip stripping the beds, changing pillow cases, dusting the couch/chairs, etc. (She's a clean freak.) A couple of our guests who we invited to join us are the same way. But when we got up to Marty's place, she (and they) were instantly comfortable and didn't lift a finger to clean anything--that's how spotless these cabins were. I don't know how big of a deal that sounds like to people who don't know the extent of her clean-freakiness, but it's HUGE. Hat tip to Marty and Co. for having incredibly clean cabins upon arrival.

Now to the fishing:

Our first trip in late-May/early-June was unbelievable. We had so much fun fishing Marty's stream that we cancelled our Duke's reservations--not once but TWICE. And we were not disappointed. I put more fish in the net than at any one spot I can recall and many of them were in the 16-18" category. Fantastic fishing. Biggest fish landed was a female rainbow beauty that pushed 22". However, I did hook an absolute brute that took me upstream faster than I could believe. I even went to a knee to try and turn him but it wasn't happening. I saw the fish and it looked as thick as a phone pole (exaggerating, of course, but it was THICK.) My girlfriend even got video of the fight from the balcony on Cabin 1. He ran me upstream and wrapped me around a rock and that was that. Snapped my 4X like dental floss. I was bummed at first but then I got over it and just relished the fight with such a big fish. We topped that day off with an awesome cookout/dessert with Marty, his family and other guests. Great fun. Great camaraderie. And most importantly, great FOOD.

Our next trip was equally fun even though conditions made the fishing tough. Cabin was once again perfect. Even in near-flood conditions, I was able to put some fish in the net--something I didn't do at Duke's morning session that same day. But the coolest part of this trip is that we invited our friends up to stay and my buddy Joseph got to fly fish for the first time. I did my best to show him what little I know, but FishWillie came out and gave him some really strong instruction. I don't think he ever put one in the net, but he had the experience of seeing that indicator disappear and the excitement of a near-miss. Big shoutout to FishWillie for spending so much time helping us learn. This guy knows his stuff and he's willing to share it. That's pretty cool.

The best part about fishing Marty's place is the different styles of fishing that can be used--deep pools for a lazy indicator float, fast, close runs for some ultra-fast Czech nymphing, longer runs with good current for longer nymphing, etc. Also, the fish fight--HARD. Even in warmer temperatures, these fish were spirited. That's important to me.

My only regret from the second trip is that we didn't get to join Marty and the folks for the fish fry. Our friends had been planning to grill for us for days and had brought all kinds of marinated stuff up to cook so we were afraid of spoiling it. Still, even though that food was great, I couldn't help but think of that awesome fried fish just down the path. Maybe next time. By the way, Happy Belated Birthday, Marty.

I can't recommend Cabin on the Creek and its hosts enough. I almost hate to even brag about this place because I want it all to myself any time I get a chance to go--but that wouldn't be right. Those guys have earned every good review they get. It's just a huge bummer when I have reservations at Duke's but Marty's cabins are full! I'd trade my left pinkie toe to be able to sneak out there and fish when the Duke's day is done. It's a simply amazing place.

We have chosen Cabin on the Creek to be our "home away from home" when we have a chance to travel. In fact, we are even willing to adjust our dates of vacation so that we can stay at Cabin on the Creek instead of some other cabin. One thing I haven't mentioned yet is just how affordable Cabin on the Creek is. For what you'd expect to pay for a generic hotel room in Helen, you can have a fantastic cabin and access to a true trophy trout stream that many folks would pay to fish. Be advised that there is a 2 night stay minimum, but trust me, once you get there, you won't want to stay less than a week!

Cabin on the Creek is a truly awesome place to visit, relax, fish and meet good people. It is clean beyond anything I've seen in a rental before and the hosts are as friendly as they come. The grounds are beautiful and well-kept and although it's extremely secluded, it's still just minutes from Helen and Cleveland. The fishing is fantastic for anyone from beginner to the seasoned veteran. No matter the skill, the strong possibility is there that you'll catch a bunch of fish with a chance you'll get the pleasure of hooking and fighting a truly massive trout. Just make sure you're fly fishing (no spin casting) and respect the fish, the property, and future guests by using barbless hooks and releasing any fish you catch. Also, take the time to get to know Marty and FishWillie. Good people.

If you get the chance to visit Cabin on the Creek: Just do it. You'll be glad you did. Just PM me first so that I can make sure I don't want the reservations for those days

Hats off to Marty and FishWillie. Yall have created a masterpiece.

TheWilyTrout
Old 09-09-14, 12:26 PM   #2
Swamp Angel
President

That's a great review! It has been a privilege to get to know Marty and to take a gander at that beautiful property he has up near Cleveland. Marty and FishWillie do their utmost to ensure that the fishin' and the accommodations are impeccable.

I have no doubt that ev'ryone up at Cabin on the Creek is pleased to see your report. But keep in mind that the BOD and everyone else who has a vested interest in NGTO is pleased to see such a raving review of one of our site's wonderful sponsors. (There ain't enny trash 'mongst the folks on this board.)

Thanks for takin' the time to type an' post your thoughts!
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-14, 05:18 PM   #3
Marty adams
NGTO Sponsor

Wow what wonderfull compliments!!! Im almost at loss for words but those of you that know me also know thats not going to happen any time soon lol. Yes we do try and when it gets noticed it makes it all worth while and makes us try even harder. Theres so much going on behind the scenes here at cabin on the creek that most folks would never think of. The first and formost is a clean comfortable place to stay then it gets fun. The fish the creek the food the friendship and so much more. Theres also more people than I could name that make this place go my sister in law dena is a seemingly never sleeping paper pushing lady that makes sure everyone is booked then my two brothers mark and matt are just as much a part of cabin on the creek as myself. The cleaning staff and ofcourse my friend fishwillie who is undergoing a family crisis with his wonderfull wife pams health at this very moment and welcoming everyones prayers and strength. Its all just a family guys and each and every one of you a member. Once again to The Wiley Trout thank you so much for your compliments and faith in our business.
Marty adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-14, 05:23 PM   #4
Marty adams
NGTO Sponsor

Wow what wonderfull compliments!!! Im almost at loss for words but those of you that know me also know thats not going to happen any time soon lol. Yes we do try and when it gets noticed it makes it all worth while and makes us try even harder. Theres so much going on behind the scenes here at cabin on the creek that most folks would never think of. The first and formost is a clean comfortable place to stay then it gets fun. The fish the creek the food the friendship and so much more. Theres also more people than I could name that make this place go my sister in law dena is a seemingly never sleeping paper pushing lady that makes sure everyone is booked then my two brothers mark and matt are just as much a part of cabin on the creek as myself. The cleaning staff and ofcourse my friend fishwillie who is undergoing a family crisis with his wonderfull wife pams health at this very moment and welcoming everyones prayers and strength. Its all just a family guys and each and every one of you a member. Once again to The Wiley Trout thank you so much for your compliments and faith in our business.
Marty adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-14, 06:32 PM   #5
Swamp Angel
President

Marty, I shan't inquire as to the nature of Pam's health concerns, since if FishWillie had wanted us to be aware of the particulars he would have mentioned them. However, please pass on to FishWillie our well wishes and the fact that he and Pam are in our prayers.

Also - thanks for your continued sponsorship!
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-14, 09:03 PM   #6
TheWilyTrout
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Angel View Post
Marty, I shan't inquire as to the nature of Pam's health concerns, since if FishWillie had wanted us to be aware of the particulars he would have mentioned them. However, please pass on to FishWillie our well wishes and the fact that he and Pam are in our prayers.

Also - thanks for your continued sponsorship!
These are my sentiments too, Marty. Please pass along my, my girlfriend's, and all our friends who were guests with us' best wishes to FishWillie and his family. They'll be in our thoughts.

Looking forward to seeing y'all again in the fall.
Old 09-11-14, 10:45 AM   #7
FishWillie
Native

Great post man...great post...split shot dilemma too funny...it's all good...c'mon back up and we'll put ole Brutus in a net...you forgot to mention the Wilson logo tattooed on his sides....His smaller and younger cousin Bubba is more willing to eat cause he know we'll let him go...
Thanks man....Will
FishWillie is offline   Reply With Quote