NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-14, 11:18 AM   #1
burnhart
Native

Default Soque Pics from this Weekend

Went to dragonfly this weekend. We went with a guide who was great (Phil). The property was smaller than I had hoped, but we saw some additional property that we could fish if we had two more with us. The fish are enormous. I landed the biggest trout of my lifetime which was great. It was cold, so the big one I caught I pretty much drug him to the net. Later in the day when it got to the 40's I hooked into some fish that took off like tarpon and broke me off. I would recommend fishing here if you want to land the fish of a lifetime. My personal issue is that its like shooting fish in a barrel. I've fished all over Montana, Colorado, and Argentina and have never hooked into anything this big as those fish aren't fed. I could envision myself visiting Soque 2 -3 times a year for fun, but would prefer to fish for trout on rivers where the fish aren't fed by humans. Thanks to Dave for letting us fish his property and big thanks to Phil for putting us on the fish and getting our roll casts working.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020071.jpg (91.0 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg P1020073.jpg (143.1 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg P1020076.jpg (107.6 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1493.jpg (120.9 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1498.jpg (117.2 KB, 182 views)
burnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-14, 12:29 PM   #2
countrybuckaroo
Native

Nice fish. I went to the public section for maybe two hours or so last week and caught one rainbow. The water was low.

Kurt
countrybuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-14, 12:52 PM   #3
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

I'm with you burnhart....pellet fed fish don't do much for me either. But at the end of the day...that's about all we got in Georgia with a few exceptions.

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-14, 01:54 PM   #4
burnhart
Native

Default Thanks

I agree Drifter. Have to take what I can get I guess.
Old 11-18-14, 10:35 AM   #5
fishonthebrainga
Native

You will get over that. Your not gonna cath many fish in Georgia that humans haven't touched in some way.
fishonthebrainga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-14, 11:12 AM   #6
kbrunson
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhart View Post
My personal issue is that its like shooting fish in a barrel.
You can't really take issue as it is what it is, a private trophy stretch of trophy water. You can't really expect much more than big fed trout. There are places in Georgia that you can target large, wild fish (Toccoa TW, Hooch TW), but these are infinitely harder to catch than pellet pigs, but so much more rewarding.

Nice fish, BTW!
kbrunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-14, 11:25 AM   #7
Remoh
Hall of Fame Member, Official Ambassador to the State of Alabama, Iron Skillet Award Recipient, and cruiser of the western Caribbean

I am very thankful we have Trout in Georgia (and Alabama). You still have to catch them. I stood below the Bull Shoals Dam on the White River (Arkansas) and caught over 100 2-3#'s rainbows in one spot. Shooting Fish in a Barrel. I can concede that Georgia cannot compare to Argentina, New Zealand, Arkansas or Montana.

But it just ain't that bad and I don't have to put fuel in my leer jet every weekend.
Remoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-14, 07:54 AM   #8
Cliff Speed
Native

Hey like kbrunson said, there are wild brown trout in the Hooch downstream from Lake Lanier as big as 20 lbs, that we know for sure, maybe bigger. You can go down there and flog the water and who knows, maybe you'll catch a monster someday. I have personally seen a wild brown the size of those Soque fish on the upper Chattoga, but who knows what it would take to get her to bite. Night fishing with a live crawdad? Lol. They are in there though if you want to take the time to try. Whatever it takes, she wasn't interested in what I had on the end of my line.
Old 11-19-14, 09:21 AM   #9
Big Browns
Native

I guess Dukes I the exception here in Georgia. They are pellet fed pigs, but with a wild side to them. There are reproducing fish with stream born trout in that stream that just so happen to get some supplemental feeding. These fish do not roll over and play dead when hooked like those in the Soque and other private water. They also are not very easy to catch either!

The thing with the Hooch below the dam is that it is BIG water with a LOT of places for these big boys to hide. It also seems like the big ones that are caught and or shocked, happen to be found in the areas only accessible by boat!

I've fished a private section of the Soque as well as Fern Valley and it's doesn't really do it for me either. Now, would I go if offered for free...heck yeah. Would I shell out a stack of cash to do it...heck no!

My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

Big Browns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-14, 01:52 PM   #10
burnhart
Native

Default Thanks Everybody

I agree with everybody. I'll take what I can get in GA. I'll likely make a two or three trips to the Soque and then hit up Smiths and Dukes when I get a chance. I also love to float rivers, so I'm always willing to take turns rowing if anybody has a drift boat. I've got experience on the oars (not a lot), but I can get down the river. I'm just looking for fish in the >16" range and it seems as though Dukes, Soque, Hooch, and Toccoa may be the only rivers who have a decent population of this size in GA. I'm assuming the Chatooga is a wading only river. It sounds interesting though.