NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-17, 12:22 PM   #521
The Snag Whisperer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout8myfly View Post
(that ancient device called a "telephone" is your friend).
Ha! Coming in hot with the zinger! October/November is probably the earliest I would want to fish it - I need the cold air if I am gonna be strapping on the waders.
The Snag Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 12:25 PM   #522
The Snag Whisperer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher062305 View Post
Just called and found out that they're open to fishing again beginning next month but that Oct is already mostly booked out.
Interesting to hear that it is open to fishing even when the temp is heading up into the 90's still. When I was there last, you would have thought that the world was ending the way they were talking about the stream condition.

Has anyone been up there recently? The forum has been pretty light on Dukes reports.
The Snag Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 03:29 PM   #523
aubreylc
Native

Stayed at the cabins and fished section 1. The fish were very thinned out. If felt more like an authentic wild stream and I caught around 10 stream born rainbows. Water temps were a bit high and most fish held where there was a lot of oxygen. Overall I had 16 to hand and a couple over 20". Not the same stream as years past, but had a great time. We just need to make sure that we are getting them in the net fast and not handling the fish too hard. Also, they should ban cloth nets up there because they remove so much slime, which is a protective barrier. I've seen a lot of fish this year which were diseased and I think it could've been the result of over handling.
aubreylc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 04:23 PM   #524
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snag Whisperer View Post
Interesting to hear that it is open to fishing even when the temp is heading up into the 90's still. When I was there last, you would have thought that the world was ending the way they were talking about the stream condition.

Has anyone been up there recently? The forum has been pretty light on Dukes reports.
I think Dukes may have opened the first week in September. I'll need to re-read this thread so see about the closure times. If it just re-opened then there's only been six fishing days this month, so the absence of reports makes sense.

ETA: From the earlier Dukes Creek Closing thread:

Quote:
Will Wagner, manager at Smithgall Woods, asked [fishbum] to post this information for fishermen:

1. Dukes Creek fishing will be closed and no reservations for fishing will be taken from Jun 1, 2017 to October 1, 2017, however, the stream may be reopened sometime earlier during September depending on water flow and temperature conditions.

2. No fishing at all will be allowed on Dukes Creek during this period, except cabin guests may fish the cabin section only.

3. Re-stocking plans are under development and will be initiated sometime before the stream is reopened.

4. Fishing reservations will be taken starting for October 2017. To make a reservation in October or later call the reservation number 706-878-3087. Updates on the creek conditions and possible reopening date should be available in September at the reservation number above.
Trout8myfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 05:01 PM   #525
mattd
Native

"Stayed at the cabins and fished section 1.

2. No fishing at all will be allowed on Dukes Creek during this period, except cabin guests may fish the cabin section only.

3. Re-stocking plans are under development and will be initiated sometime before the stream is reopened. "

Are the cabin section and section 1 the same? Not trying to stir any pot, just honestly curious. Regarding #3, sounds like from the above report they may not have re-stocked? Anyone know if its still in the plan?
mattd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 07:05 PM   #526
aubreylc
Native

You can fish section 1 from the gate up. Well aware of the rules.
aubreylc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 12:17 PM   #527
jimboyyy
Native

a little bird told me...

Stream trout pops (esp trophy fish) take years to recover from pop downturns due to environmental extremes.

Please keep your trip expectations low.

We plan to re-dose it with a few fish (browns) this fall, as temps go down and flows go up. They will bolster the resident rainbow population as both get on feed and hopefully survive and grow to trophy size.

---my hope is they stock some before Oct 7th so I can train 'em.
jimboyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 05:06 PM   #528
Trout Fear Me
Native

Looking forward to ripping some lips on uneducated fish.
Old 09-19-17, 08:44 PM   #529
jfgros01
Native

Made a reservation for Nov. 4. Last trip I was only able to pick up one little bow so I'm looking for redemption!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jfgros01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-17, 10:21 PM   #530
jfgros01
Native

Saturday was a beautiful day for fishing. The morning was cool but it warmed up nicely. Mostly overcast and the water was pretty clear. Did o.k.- brought in a half dozen, all rainbows sized 12” or smaller. Lost many more. Hooked into two biguns- first one broke my tippet and I couldn’t keep the second out from under a log. All hit zebra midges sized 18-20 in both black and red. Wouldn’t touch any of the other flys I tied on. Pretty up there with the leaves changing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jfgros01 is offline   Reply With Quote