NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-15, 11:36 PM   #11
troutbum69
Native

Don't over look the old town 119 canoe. You can buy them used for around 400 and sell them for that if it doesn't work out. They weigh half as much as most SOTs and have almost nothing to snag a fly line on. I stand in mine on ponds. As has been mentioned no craft in this category is "super stable"

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 09:05 AM   #12
The Suburban Angler
Native

I have an aforementioned "$300 piece of crap". It was the best I could afford and I didn't know if I would even like it. I grew up in canoes and john boats, so I thought all kayaks were very unstable (my uncle was a white water kayaker when I was a kid, so that was my impression of kayaks). I've got a 12' Equinox, made in Canada (eh?), SOT and I absolutely love it. You've seen me David, I'm a big guy (6'1", pushing 300lbs), so I have no interest in standing on my kayak. I do, however, very often sit sideways so I can put my feet in the water while I'm fishing, and I've never felt like it was going to tip. The only thing I don't like about my 'yak is the molded foot pegs, they don't seem to be in quite the right place for me, and they're not quite big enough. But, with this boat I'm learning paddling techniques, I'm learning what it takes to fish from a kayak, and I'm especially learning what I want to look for in my next one! It'll be a long time before I can get a $1500+ kayak, so until then, I'm very happy with my $300 piece of crap. I don't know when you're planning to buy, but you're more than welcome to meet me at the lake and try standing up on my kayak.
Old 06-10-15, 09:32 AM   #13
Riverpirate
Native

I designed the Predator MX specifically for fly fishing on the rivers and small ponds and lakes. Come fish with me if you want to try it out.
Old 06-10-15, 10:03 AM   #14
EN 787
Native

Check out the liquid logic/ native versaboard. You can use it as a SUP or a SOT and if you have a yeti or other similar sturdy cooler you can use that as a polling platform/ seat. Ive taken mine down the hooch, poled around the flats of mosquito lagoon and the local carp flats, and can slap a fishfinder on it for bass fishing. It also has a wheel attatched which can be a lifesaver going up and down the hill at morgan falls overlook park. They've got an angler set up that comes with two scotty flush mouts and a gear track and a standard plain one.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...gler-12-3.html
EN 787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 10:06 AM   #15
Riverpirate
Native

I have a Versa Board angler for sale.
Old 06-10-15, 10:09 AM   #16
countrybuckaroo
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Suburban Angler View Post
I have an aforementioned "$300 piece of crap".
Let me elaborate on what I meant....... When I bought my $300 sit inside kayak, it looked great and all b/c it was new. So within about two hours of paddling my back hurt just a little and my legs were cramped and no real way to stretch them out etc. But the main thing was that my butt starting to REALLY hurt after about two hours, and I literally had to stop near the river bank and get out and stand for 5 minutes or so just to get rid of the pain. I just kinda thought this was normal for a kayak since I didn't know any different. I was OOHHH so wrong. This is not normal at all. With a good kayak and seat, you shouldn't have any issues. I haven't even started talking about the kayak tracking etc. That is why in my opinion, you should get as much kayak as you can afford. If I had only two choices, the $300 kayak I had or no kayak at all, in hindsight, I would have chosen no kayak at all b/c of how god awful uncomfortable it was after two hours of paddling. You can buy a great used kayak on craigslist for maybe $800 or maybe even less. You just have to look every day.

Kurt

Last edited by countrybuckaroo; 06-10-15 at 11:04 AM.
countrybuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 11:10 AM   #17
The Suburban Angler
Native

[quote=countrybuckaroo;821366]Let me elaborate on what I meant....... /QUOTE]

Kurt, I hope you didn't take what I said the wrong way. I was actually agreeing with you, most $300 kayaks are pieces of junk. I've been very fortunate that I think mine is the exception to the rule, but I know very little about kayaks to be able to judge that. I agree with you on the seat, my back tends to hurt after a few hours. My kayak only has a depression in the plastic and a 6" back rest, I use a foam pad from Lowe's to sit on. But, I tend to be a customizer, so I look at my kayak as a platform to be improved upon as my budget allows. I do disagree on your point about rather having no kayak at all, I considered lashing logs together before I found mine! Just being able to float on something in the lake is way better than trying to fight the brush to fly cast from the bank!
Old 06-10-15, 11:23 AM   #18
countrybuckaroo
Native

[quote=The Suburban Angler;821378]
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrybuckaroo View Post
Let me elaborate on what I meant....... /QUOTE]

Kurt, I hope you didn't take what I said the wrong way. I was actually agreeing with you, most $300 kayaks are pieces of junk. I've been very fortunate that I think mine is the exception to the rule, but I know very little about kayaks to be able to judge that. I agree with you on the seat, my back tends to hurt after a few hours. My kayak only has a depression in the plastic and a 6" back rest, I use a foam pad from Lowe's to sit on. But, I tend to be a customizer, so I look at my kayak as a platform to be improved upon as my budget allows. I do disagree on your point about rather having no kayak at all, I considered lashing logs together before I found mine! Just being able to float on something in the lake is way better than trying to fight the brush to fly cast from the bank!
I didn't take your post the wrong way. I just wanted to explain what I meant so maybe it would help others decide what to buy. So I bought my first kayak at Dick's sporting goods and really thought, "what's the difference between a $300 piece of plastic and a $900 piece of plastic?" I found out there is a big difference. I can't speak for all cheaper model kayaks, just the one I owned. It was a Future Beach trophy 126. DO NOT BUY THAT KAYAK!! But I would have never realized the difference until I owned a good yak. I bought my tarpon 120 before those Jackson's and such with the nice seats came about lol.

Kurt
countrybuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 12:14 PM   #19
Remoh
Hall of Fame Member, Official Ambassador to the State of Alabama, Iron Skillet Award Recipient, and cruiser of the western Caribbean

So many good choices. My 2 pesos. Get a yak that is That is seaworthy also. We have some many wonderful backwater opportunities across the Gulf Coast and there are also great for the everglades and the Florida Keys. good luck on your search.
Remoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 01:28 PM   #20
aubreylc
Native

has anyone checked out Vibe Kayaks here in Marietta?

http://vibekayaks.com/
aubreylc is offline   Reply With Quote