NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-15, 01:51 PM   #21
Riverpirate
Native

Made in Malaysia.
Old 06-10-15, 02:18 PM   #22
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Default Fly Fishing Kayak advice.

I'm interested in a SUP and have done a good bit of research. They look stable enough to comfortably stand and cast. I have a Native Ultimate and just don't like sitting and casting. Yes....I can stand up in it....but standing and double-hauling without spooking fish are entirely different things.

So.....I'm perusing the SUP options. I'm currently drooling over the Boteboards Ahab. Anyone currently fishing off a SUP?

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 03:21 PM   #23
Dcounce
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
I'm interested in a SUP and have done a good bit of research. They look stable enough to comfortably stand and cast. I have a Native Ultimate and just don't like sitting and casting. Yes....I can stand up in it....but standing and double-hauling without spooking fish are entirely different things.

So.....I'm perusing the SUP options. I'm currently drooling over the Boteboards Ahab. Anyone currently fishing off a SUP?

Steve,

The boat in the picture you posted really looks good but I would appreciate clarification. Are you all saying that you actually stand up in a kayak and fly fish on moving water like the hooch and the tuck. If you do my hat is off to all of you. I don't see how it is possible to control a moving boat, keep your balance and concentrate on casting a fly. You must have the balance of a tightrope walker and tremendous multi tasking abilities.
Dcounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 04:25 PM   #24
Riverpirate
Native

I fish off a SUP some. Might you keep it light and don't carry much it's fine. But it is easy to lose equipment overboard. Being able to stand and fish in a kayak with higher sides is a lot better IMO.
Old 06-10-15, 04:56 PM   #25
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Randy...are the SUPs more stable than kayaks as far as standup fishing? I'm guessing I could stop by Outside World and see for myself.

Dan....I'm speaking of still water.... Like salt marshes. You are right....it'd be tough in a flowing river.

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Old 06-10-15, 04:57 PM   #26
groundpounder
Hall of Fame Member, Former Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcounce View Post
Are you all saying that you actually stand up in a kayak and fly fish on moving water like the hooch and the tuck. If you do my hat is off to all of you. I don't see how it is possible to control a moving boat, keep your balance and concentrate on casting a fly. You must have the balance of a tightrope walker and tremendous multi tasking abilities.
I do. It might have been a little iffy feeling when I first got my kayak but with time the more and more comfortable you get. Haven't fallen out yet. To each their own! If your not comfortable with it then I definitely would not do it. A drag chain can help with keeping the kayak positioned pointed downstream and at a slower pace. Rougher or faster water I'm sitting down. Its just what I've gotten comfortable with. Drag chains can be a whole other topic with kayak safety! Some love them, some hate them. Know you and your boats capabilities.
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 05:21 PM   #27
flyg
Hall of Fame Member

I'm no expert, but I kayak fish very frequently. As you know, no single boat will be ideal for all situations. You can take the path of getting a whole stable of boats, or do like me and get a general purpose yak and use it to the limits of its ability. I can't stand in my kayak, and sometimes I wish I could. But ability to stand is not my first priority for a kayak. Standing and fishing efficiently and covering water will require some practice--going from paddling to casting and back while managing line and fighting fish requires some athleticisim. The whole topic is highly subjective, but I personally think standing and kayak fishing is overrated. I would rank it under general tracking, weight, etc. if I were buying a kayak. Just food for thought.

G
flyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 05:23 PM   #28
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

My balance sucks....but with a couple of shots of Maker's....it greatly improves. I tried to stand up and get a picture of this six-foot shark circling EG's kayak and almost fell on the dam thing.

Follow me on Instagram
Old 06-10-15, 05:50 PM   #29
Riverpirate
Native

I designed the Predator to be able to stand in. Yes it is more stable than any SUP I have been on. Come chase some shoal bass with me and try it out.
Old 06-10-15, 05:54 PM   #30
Riverpirate
Native

Look at the kayaks being designed today. Standing is not over rated. Especially when it comes to fly fishing. Just like standing on a raised
Platform on a skiff, you can see into the water much better. It's not the end if you can't stand but it is certainly a big advantage.