NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Watercraft
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-15, 08:21 PM   #11
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

As a side note Carl....I have a friend, Fishmeister on this message board, that bought one of the old Clackacrafts from Charlie Smith at Hiwassee Outfitters. The boat must be 25 years old and still going strong. I have been entrusted with its well-being and still use it once or twice each winter while he's overseas.

There was a guy that floated the Hi back then (late 80s) using a wooden McKenzie that had a black hull with oiled interior. That boat was my inspiration. I wish I knew who that guy was....and if the boat is still around.

I miss the late 80's on the Hi.

I know a guy that can burn a mighty nice trout into the kneebrace when you're ready.

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-15, 01:00 AM   #12
Warmouth
Native

Location: Boise, ID by way of Opelika AL, by way of East Tennessee

When was that picture taken, Steve? Your boat looks as pristine and beautiful as new. Love that trout. Are your knee locks laminated?

Now that you mention it, I do remember a black boat on the Hi. There was also a young guy who was on a boat building frenzy, making new ones all the time. He kept getting them smaller and smaller. I think a 9 footer was his smallest one. He bobbed through the stairsteps like a strike indicator.

Is the Clacka from HO green and tan?

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3

Last edited by Warmouth; 07-24-15 at 01:08 AM.
Warmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-15, 08:22 AM   #13
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Default Drift Boat Project #3

Yes....the Clacka is green and tan. He kept it parked under the railroad trestle for a long time. That's when I first saw your blue and white drifter. We were hooking up Frank's boat and I commented about how I liked the layout of your boat.

Regarding the black wooden drifter....the guy was fairly young....I'm guessing 30-ish years old. There was an NGTO member named Richard Mansker...that built a one-man driftboat and used it on the Hi. I haven't heard from him in a long time...and I know he's not the one you're speaking of.

Thanks for the compliments. That picture was taken last month with NGTO member Chuck Morris. Chuck did the artwork.

The knee braces are solid wood and were cut with a scroll saw...then routed and sanded.

Have a safe trip to Oregon. I'm excited for you and can't wait to see the pictures.

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Last edited by Drifter; 07-24-15 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-24-15, 11:48 AM   #14
fishcat24/7
Native

Default Drifter Pic

Her is a pic of one we just finished with some troubled teens a few months ago. The program is called Project Drift boat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 012.jpg (63.8 KB, 107 views)
fishcat24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-15, 12:57 PM   #15
Warmouth
Native

Nice! Is that from a Montana Boatbuilder's plan?

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3
Old 07-24-15, 01:00 PM   #16
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Default Drift Boat Project #3

Beautiful boat fishcat! Will we see it on the Toccoa?

BTW....I really appreciate that scaffolding! It's gotten a ton of use in the past few years.

Follow me on Instagram
Old 07-24-15, 01:10 PM   #17
fishcat24/7
Native

Yes it will be on the Toccoa.
I'm glad you are getting good use out of the scaffold.
Are you up in BR now Drifter?
fishcat24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-15, 02:19 PM   #18
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

No....I split my time between Newnan and Dillsboro, NC.

Follow me on Instagram
Old 07-24-15, 09:35 PM   #19
dink
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcat24/7 View Post
Her is a pic of one we just finished with some troubled teens a few months ago. The program is called Project Drift boat.
Wow Tim that is beautiful !!!!!!
dink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-15, 12:43 AM   #20
Warmouth
Native

Well, I got her home! She is safely tucked into her new home in my garage awaiting her makeover.
The trip was a great start to the next chapter of the story of this boat. My friend Bill and I drove to Springfield and found the owner was a Vietnam vet living in a singlewide behind a fly shop literally across the street from the McKenzie river. This boat spent its whole life on the McKenzie and the last many years in a shed. We drug it out of the shed, got a good long look at her and loaded her up. It's a little rougher than I expected so I am just going to show you the "50 yard" view for now. But for a 45 plus year old wooden boat it is amazingly sound, structurally. There is a lot of blue paint globbed over the whole thing and it is checked and flaking but the paint has preserved her really well - as far as I can tell so far.
After we loaded her up I called Steve Steele, the 65 year old son of Keith Steele who built this boat. Steve has recently begun making exact copies of his dad's boats again. His shop is about an hour away from from Springfield and he was as cordial and friendly as he could be. I told him about our find and that I would love to meet him and see his shop. He invited us right over, and away we went. What an awesome guy. He spent a couple hours showing us around the shop, telling us the history of Steele boats, and he looked mine over real good. I was anxious to pick his brain about how to make the restoration as true as possible to the way his dad would have built it and to ask him if he saw any signs that it had been modified. He confirmed that it was all original except for a repair to the front of the hull. His daughter, son-in-law and grandkids even came out to see it. He also confirmed that it is a pre-1970 boat because in 1970 they began putting Coast Guard plates on the stem and embossing a hull number in the wood.
I am super excited to get to work on her but she is going to have to wait. I am heading up to the Whitecloud Mountains in the morning for a four day backpacking trip into some high mountain lakes. I don't know which thing to be more excited about. I'll have to split my time laying awake all night thinking about both things.