NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Watercraft
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-15, 12:58 PM   #21
Danny
Native

Sounds really exciting Carl.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-15, 01:27 PM   #22
fishcat24/7
Native

Warmouth The boat plan is stich and glue Montana style hull and some of my own design.
fishcat24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-15, 12:43 PM   #23
Warmouth
Native

Location: Boise, ID by way of Opelika AL, by way of East Tennessee

So I thought I would show you a few distinctives of a Keith Steele boat. Many of these traditional framed drift boats all look so much alike that it is hard to tell the difference between a Woody Hindman, Greg Tatman, Don Hill, etc. Here are some pictures of things that confirm a Keith Steele boat.

Beginning at the stem and working back, first there is this aluminum brace bolted to the stem and the sides. I am not sure exactly what purpose this serves but it is authentic.

Metal Brace on Stem by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

Next is the upholstered knee locks...
Padded Knee Locks by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

The fly line deck and front brace are removable by pulling out this peg. On all the other boats I have seen the brace is bolted in place. This is removable so that multiple boats can be stacked on one trailer.
Removable Front Brace by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

The front seat and seat backs came padded from Steele...
Upholstered Front Seat by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

The front seat is easily removable to facilitate stacking of boats as well. Instead of the seat frame having a hole in it with the pipe running through it, there is this dandy system with a swinging "lock" that creates friction and prevents the seat from sliding. When you want to remove the seat you just flip these four locks aside and lift the seat out!
Front Seat Fastening System by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr
Front Seat Fastening System 2 by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

The drain hole is in the lowest spot in the hull to the right of the oarsman's right foot. It is this flange and screw in plug.
Drain Plug by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

There are two braces for the front seat instead of just one. I think this has something to do with support for stacking boats as well...

Double Front Seat Braces by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

The rope setup on rower's seat is made very differently and has only one metal pipe, unlike two on the other boats I have seen. I can't really describe how it works yet but I will show more details at a later time.
Rope Seat by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

Other framed boats I have seen have two weep holes on each frame and the are semi-circle shaped. Steele boats have just one on each frame and it is square and located on the right side of each frame. The reason for this is to channel water inside the hull to the drain hole.
Square Weep Hole by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

Cool plate nailed to left gunnel near the rear...
Badge by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

The original anchor system...
Anchor System by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr
Transom by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

And finally, on the batten caps is an aluminum strip that protects the oak batten caps from rock damage. This boat, while it has plenty of age on it, seems to have had very little rough use. The battens, rub strips, etc. are not even scratched. The missing paint on the aluminum in this picture is the result of me scraping it off with a screwdriver and sandpaper to try to show that it is aluminum.

Aluminum Chine Cap Protection by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

I think that's about it for now. I'm excited to get this old girl fixed up but it's going to be a slow, gradual process.

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3
Warmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-15, 01:11 PM   #24
skibum
Hall of Fame Member

If only that boat could talk, the stories would be amazing!!!

Cant wait to see the progress and final results.
Old 08-05-15, 04:48 PM   #25
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Default Drift Boat Project #3

Thanks for posting this Carl....fascinating stuff!

I see a lot of similarities with my Tatman but also notice those subtle differences that make your boat so unique. I like the way he anchored the knee brace with the wood wedges....and the removable bench seat is really neat.

I might steal the drain plug idea. The brass name plate is priceless!

I wonder if they used epoxy back then? I'm guessing no...hence the metal bracket at the stem.

You might want to use caution with all the sanding....good chance that might be lead-based paint. I know Tatman suggested oil-based exterior house paint as the coating for the hull of my boat. Based on his mentality regarding paint...I'm guessing the early builders just used what was readily available. I'm guessing there is some beautiful wood beneath that paint. I know what you'll be doing this winter.

Thanks again and I'm hoping you'll keep us updated.

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Last edited by Drifter; 08-05-15 at 06:35 PM.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-15, 10:00 PM   #26
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Awesome boat! Seeing the technology of the day verses the technology of today is interesting...and I'm not so sure today's technology is better.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-15, 10:58 PM   #27
Warmouth
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum View Post
If only that boat could talk, the stories would be amazing!!!

Cant wait to see the progress and final results.
Indeed! The original owner said he has pictures somewhere of himself fishing in it but couldn't pull them together in time for me. I'd L-O-V-E to have some of them though.

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3
Old 08-05-15, 11:15 PM   #28
Warmouth
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post

I wonder if they used epoxy back then? I'm guessing no...hence the metal bracket at the stem.

You might want to use caution with all the sanding....good chance that might be lead-based paint.

I'm guessing there is some beautiful wood beneath that paint. I know what you'll be doing this winter.
Drifter, I'm pretty sure there were no epoxy finishes back then. Steve Steele told me that his dad recommended painting the whole boat, and that is what Steve recommends today. Personally, I like to see some wood grain but I am glad this one was painted.

Good advice about the lead based paint. Anyone know what kind of safety precautions are good to take? I anticipate that the majority of paint removal will be done with a heat gun.

The hull is doug fir which isn't the most beautiful of all marine plywoods but it's classic. Plus, this wood is, as I understand, old growth wood and far superior to any marine plywood available today. BTW, Steve has eight sheets of his dad's original stock left and he'll build boats for a few lucky customers out it. He ain't giving them away though!

Old 08-05-15, 11:22 PM   #29
Warmouth
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnpreacher View Post
Awesome boat! Seeing the technology of the day verses the technology of today is interesting...and I'm not so sure today's technology is better.
Thanks, Preacher. There are definitely limitations to these framed boats but there is also nothing quite like the way they feel on the water.

Old 08-06-15, 06:43 AM   #30
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmouth View Post
Drifter, I'm pretty sure there were no epoxy finishes back then. Steve Steele told me that his dad recommended painting the whole boat, and that is what Steve recommends today. Personally, I like to see some wood grain but I am glad this one was painted.

Good advice about the lead based paint. Anyone know what kind of safety precautions are good to take? I anticipate that the majority of paint removal will be done with a heat gun.

The hull is doug fir which isn't the most beautiful of all marine plywoods but it's classic. Plus, this wood is, as I understand, old growth wood and far superior to any marine plywood available today. BTW, Steve has eight sheets of his dad's original stock left and he'll build boats for a few lucky customers out it. He ain't giving them away though!
I had to take a class on lead based paint remediation a couple of years ago, and it's basic stuff. If you are using chemical strippers, (and I would advise against it on this boat), there is not a whole lot you can do except control the paint that comes off the hull.
If you sand and scrape, a good respirator is all you will need, and then control the dust and paint chips. If you have a shop vac and respirator, you are good to go. Wear long sleeves and gloves, eye and breathing protection, and control the dust and chips. That's about it.
And you can buy LBP test kits at most big box stores, but according to the EPA they were not entirely accurate.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Last edited by fishnpreacher; 08-06-15 at 06:50 AM.
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote