NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Watercraft
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-15, 06:37 PM   #31
F.A.R.R.
Native

That's really cool Carl. It's be a big project but I know it will be fun. Sorry to learn someone stole the glass boat you and your Dad made.

I still have my Tateman boat (I'm John from Dry Flyer) in the garage, but am sad to say it hasn't been in the water yet this year. I need to cover the chines on it. Originally I had used the plastic Greg sold, but that has long since gotten brittle and cracked- I like the idea of the aluminum like on your new (old) boat.

What's holding the anchor rope?
F.A.R.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-15, 11:19 PM   #32
Warmouth
Native

Location: Boise, ID by way of Opelika AL, by way of East Tennessee

Thank you Preacher! Lucky for me that you took that class. I think I might invest in that test kit and see what happens. Out of curiosity, why do you say not to use chemical stripper? I agree with you but wonder if you have the same reasons as I do or different ones.

John! It's great to hear from you! I loved your boat back in the day. Do you have any pictures of it? I don't know what all plans I have for this boat yet but I know that they don't include UHMW for the bottom this time.

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3

Last edited by Warmouth; 08-06-15 at 11:46 PM.
Warmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-15, 07:45 AM   #33
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

I have refinished several old bamboo rods, and was told to stay away from chemical stripped because the chemicals could react with the glue in the bamboo rod. Same applies I would think with plywood. Older woods may have used a natural glue, and not be very chemical friendly.
Plus, I believe you will have less damage to the wood by scraping dry vs wet with stripper.
Good luck!

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-15, 07:54 PM   #34
Keith M
Native

I am really looking forward to watching this refurb. PLEASE keep us posted with plenty of pics.
Old 08-08-15, 01:30 AM   #35
Warmouth
Native

Default She Was GREEN!

Thanks Keith! I'll look forward to the encouragement. It's going to take a while to get it all done but I will post pics as I go. The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Why not a few right now?!

An Oregon native told me that during the 1960s every boat on the McKenzie was green. Keith Steele's grand daughter took one look at this boat and chuckled and said, "Grandpa would have never painted a boat blue." Another guy told me that only after Keith Steele died did non-green Steele boats start showing up. Apparently he encouraged green paint. Well, it's amazing what an hour with a heat gun and paint scraper will reveal. She was originally GREEN! Once I discovered the green paint I slowed way down on the removal and started looking for areas where I could carefully remove the blue and find some areas with good unspoiled green underneath. I have found a few good areas so I am going to try to get a paint store to match the original green. I'll just get a quart mixed up for now so I will have the code to get more later if I decide to go with that. To completely restore it back to it's original form I could paint the entire boat this color, inside and out but I kind of like to see some wood. So I am torn. In one sense I feel this sort of duty to bring her back to original by going all paint. But right now I am leaning towards using this original color on the outside and maybe the floorboards and going oiled on the entire inside to show off the wood grain. What do y'all think?

I'm falling in love with this boat more and more every day.

An hour with a heat gun by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

She was green! by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

More green! by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

Green under blue! by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

More green revealed! by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3
Old 08-08-15, 09:14 AM   #36
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Neat stuff Carl!

Of course I'm partial to the green hull / oiled (or varnished) interior.

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-15, 09:56 AM   #37
F.A.R.R.
Native

Green is a good color for a wooden drift boat

I'll try and post some pics of my boat sometime. I was happy to find your post- had often wondered if you were still down at Calloway, but good to know your out West living the dream! -hope everything is going well for you.

Have fun with the project, it will be fun to see how you end up restoring it.

When you need encouragement I'll mail a paint scraper and a dust cloth
Old 08-12-15, 05:45 PM   #38
Warmouth
Native

Making a little progress a half hour at a time. Getting the old paint mostly stripped off on the right side and finding some really clear and beautiful wood under it. So far there are no "footballs," knots, or voids. Really nice grain for douglas fir and a really clean scarf joint.

One issue I am having is that the rub strip seems to maybe be glued on. I really need to get it off for the purpose of refinishing the hull and hoping I'll get it off in one piece. I'm all ears if anyone has any suggestions for de-gluing wood. I'm thinking it might be bedded in caulking.

Right side stripped by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

Starting Stripping Inside by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

Rub Strip by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

Old 08-14-15, 07:32 PM   #39
F.A.R.R.
Native

That is some nice looking plywood under there.

Maybe he put 5200 on the back side of the rub strip before screwing it? Would you be able to tape it off?

Looks like you are running low on EGGS!
Old 08-14-15, 08:48 PM   #40
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

I'm with FARR....you may do more damage by trying to take it off. I'd try taping it.

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote