NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Watercraft
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-15, 10:32 AM   #41
Warmouth
Native

Location: Boise, ID by way of Opelika AL, by way of East Tennessee

The rub strips are going to have to come off one way or another. I hope that I can save them because I don't want to scarf new ones. (Although Steve Steele gave my buddy and me a great lesson in scarfing plywood). I have decided that I am going to epoxy and glass the entire outside of the hull so the transom trim, stem cap, chine caps, gunnels, and rub strips are going to have to come off for that. I did a little more poking and prying last night and I now believe that they are not glued on, but man, those silicon bronze ring nails are really good fasteners.

John - you busted me on the eggs. I am a prepper for the chicken apocalypse.

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3
Warmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 08:09 PM   #42
Warmouth
Native

Default One month update:

So here is what a month's worth of progress looks like. Interior is out and the hull has been liberated of about 90% of its old paint. Lots of work still ahead.
IMG_0148 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/128490941@N07/]

IMG_0139 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/128490941@N07/]

IMG_0158 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/128490941@N07/]

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3
Old 08-31-15, 08:36 PM   #43
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Looking good Carl! I've been keeping up over at Wooden Boat People.

Have you decided on how to handle the rub strips?

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 09:38 PM   #44
Warmouth
Native

Thanks Steve.

You and John were right about the rub strips. They are not coming off without tearing up the whole boat. There are about 50 ring shank nails in each one and those buggers don't come out without a fight. My current thinking is that I will put a small epoxy fillet around the whole thing. Just small enough to make a smooth transition with the glass.

Last edited by Warmouth; 09-01-15 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-01-15, 12:01 AM   #45
Warmouth
Native

I have been super anxious to find out what the chines look like on this boat. Nervous that there would be rot but hopeful that there wouldn't be. Everything looks good from the inside but you never know until you really get into it. But before I could find out, there was a lot of paint and screws that had to be removed - 81 screws and two layers of paint to be exact.

Here's what I found out...

Oak batten caps look pretty good so far...

IMG_0156 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/128490941@N07/]

IMG_0159 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/128490941@N07/]

Or maybe not. Lots of rot in the middle. Getting nervous about what is under here.

IMG_0160 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/128490941@N07/]

Well, this is interesting... a strip of rubber between the batten cap and the hull. I guess they didn't have 3M 5200 back then.

IMG_0165 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/128490941@N07/]

IMG_0164 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/128490941@N07/]

Looks good! Chines are rock solid with nary a sign of rot. Apparently the rubber did its job well. But it looks like a couple inches of the side has been replaced at some point. OK with me. Saves me the work. I'm guessing the bottom was probably replaced too. It looks good and solid. It's amazing to me that this wood is this solid. There was a total of 161 screws along the chine. 161 possible places for water intrusion. And it somehow stayed out. Now I just have to worry about the other side.

IMG_0167 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/128490941@N07/]

Old 09-01-15, 07:45 PM   #46
F.A.R.R.
Native

Coming Along!- did you end up mostly sanding and scraping the paint or did you end up using chemicals?

Very interesting about the rubber strip-also surprised that it didn't just crumble apart while taking it off.

161 fastners- I guess there is a reason why he was know for making a good boat

Will you end up welding up a trailer for it ?
F.A.R.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 11:49 PM   #47
Warmouth
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.A.R.R. View Post
Coming Along!- did you end up mostly sanding and scraping the paint or did you end up using chemicals?

Very interesting about the rubber strip-also surprised that it didn't just crumble apart while taking it off.

161 fastners- I guess there is a reason why he was know for making a good boat

Will you end up welding up a trailer for it ?
So far I have just used the heat gun, a scraper, and a putty knife. I started sanding the port side with a DA sander on Saturday. I tried chemical stripper on the batten caps to try to expose those screws but it didn't work as well as the heat gun.

Some of the rubber did crumble but it stayed mostly intact. I'm contemplating using something like that again since it seems to have worked well. And less permanent than 5200.

No, I wont be making a trailer this time. My dad was the talent behind the last one. I just did the cutting, grinding, and grunt work. He did the engineering and welding. I'd like to get a Steve Steele trailer to keep it all in the family (and they are really, really nice trailers) but they are $2400 new. I think I'll be watching CL for a good used one.

Old 09-19-15, 08:12 PM   #48
Warmouth
Native

Still chipping away (pardon the pun) at removing old paint. Progress is coming slowly but surely. As it turns out there are four different colors/layers of paint on this boat - a sort of sea foam/turquoisy green, a darker sort of hunter green, and then the baby blue. Then there is dark blue on a lot of the trim. In some places it looks like the green layers were removed before the blue went on, but in other places there is a lot of green under there - and it is STUBBORN. The heat gun works like magic on the baby blue but not so much on the green or the dark blue. It is bedded deeply in the grain and it is a pain. As resistant as I have been to using chemical stripper I can see that I might have to in some places.

Here are a few pics from this past week...

IMG_0174 by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

IMG_0169 by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

IMG_0170 by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

IMG_0168 by Carl Warmouth, on Flickr

Old 09-22-15, 06:51 AM   #49
Danny
Native

Nice progress report Carl. I'll be watching.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-15, 06:59 PM   #50
Warmouth
Native

Wait a minute! Am I supposed to be able to see light through my boat?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/zBL8rr]