NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Welcome to NGTO > NGTO President / BOD Announcements
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-15, 05:47 AM   #1
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Post First Post from RScott

I have been thinking the past two weeks about what I should say in my first official post under the Presidents Forum - general introduction and life story or series of goals and general objectives for the couple years that I will hold this office? It sounded so much like work, I tied some flies, drank some beer, caught a few fish and watched football.

I think I selected a hybrid approach as like my flytying, everything is a variant from the standard approach.

First - I want to thank the current BOD and advisory board for the vote (which contrary to what you may have heard did NOT take place when I was out of the room). Gatorbyte in particular who has been instrumental in helping guide this membership and provided me with good, honest input on about everything whether I asked for it or not. Thanks for a job well done Bret

Second - I started trout fishing in my early teens and like almost everyone else used whatever rod / reel I had and a baggie full of corn or salmon eggs, wading the Hooch in cut off blue jeans and tennis shoes. We camped a lot in the mid-seventies at Coopers Creek and Rock Creek, where I may or may not have exceeded regulations on a number of occasions, that was a long time ago my memory has faded. Bottom line I was hooked on trout fishing at a very early age. Fast forward a couple of decades and after raising a family and working in corporate America I found my way to the dark side and fly fishing. This is not a hobby for me - it is my passion, and one that I love to share with others. This is why I am very grateful for this site and the opportunity to serve in any capacity - everyday is a chance to share knowledge and experience. One of the greatest things about NGTO is the abundance of members willing to share their knowledge, experience, and even more importantly - encouragement.

Third - It is important to have goals and general guidelines for any organization and while we are governed by our mission statement and 501.3c status, our goals and guidelines are how we will fulfill both. This isn't new - Aaron Sago started it before he won the lottery and moved to Florida to retire. I have shared a version of the following with the full advisory BOD and now would like to share it with you.

1. "It's just fishing" This is what we do for fun, not life or death, not as important as family, so any legal way you want to do it is fine. At times we have missed this point in some of the posts and threads, which rapidly go downhill and cause hurt feelings. Our community is about trout fishing and is supposed to be fun, if you don't like a topic, don't read it. I am all for good discussion and debate, but there is a line and a limit that we just don't need to cross. Emotions and sarcastic humor don't translate too well, so be clear and to the point.

2. "Volunteer" We are all volunteers here, from the folks on the BOD to the folks answering support issues on the forum, to those who are setting up our Fall Fling as I type this post. It takes time to do everything and mostly comes after we quit work for the day and take care of our families. If something needs our attention, please be patient and just as important - we can use all the help we can get so volunteer and become involved.

3. "Support our Sponsors" We are very fortunate to have great sponsors that support our mission statement and our love for trout fishing. It isn't cheap and there aren't many millionaires in the fishing industry. Most are small shops and services that are in business to serve our geographical area and generally some of the nicest folks you will ever meet. I plan on meeting with all of them personally - at least as many as I can to reinforce our relationship and see what else we can do to support each other. When you visit them, let them know NGTO appreciates their support.

4. "NGTO Supports" The funds we raise though our Flings, raffles and sponsor donations enables us to support many similarly aligned organizations through donations. This is a great way to support our mission statement and I don't think we talk enough about it when we do it. We will continue to support organizations and events as we have in the past, but I believe it is time to support our trout fishing community with effort as well as funding. More to come on this as we move into next year, but there are several qualified options that we will be looking to support with volunteers.

If you haven't already, please take a minute to read our mission statement. I welcome any and all serious questions as these goals and guidelines take shape, you can post a reply here, send me a PM or send me an email at "rscott_2001@yahoo.com". Just remember that I have a job I can't do in my basement and I do love to fish, so if I don't respond immediately it may not be that I forgot to, just busy.

Thanks for reading this, it's a little longer than I thought...

Scott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-15, 08:56 AM   #2
watkins
Native

Send a message via Yahoo to watkins
Default First post (as Prez)

Excellent, well thought, first post. Only wish the clowns running for the BIG Prez would make as much sense as you. TRW
watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-15, 09:20 AM   #3
Remoh
Hall of Fame Member, Official Ambassador to the State of Alabama, Iron Skillet Award Recipient, and cruiser of the western Caribbean

Congrats Scott, enjoyed your post. To me, NGTO is a big family just trying to promote the Sport. We have a great mix of personalities and that is fun also. If you ever need dos centavos I have a few.

Congrats again. Bern
Remoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-15, 09:56 AM   #4
Da Da's Fishing
Internet Technologies Officer, Director, Hall of Fame Member

And here I thought you got elected because you had the smallest bladder at the meeting. Great post.

DD F
Old 10-26-15, 01:04 AM   #5
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Is there going to be an inauguration ceremony at the fling? An oath of office?

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-15, 01:06 AM   #6
Swamp Angel
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
Is there going to be an inauguration ceremony at the fling? An oath of office?
There will probably be a few oaths uttered at the very least. . .
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-15, 02:33 AM   #7
HILLIS LANIER
Native

Congrats. Great post!
Old 10-26-15, 04:28 PM   #8
baldea
BOD, Hall of Fame

Too long didn't read.

Congrats and look at it this way you can't be any worse than Gatorbyte

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

baldea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-15, 01:46 AM   #9
2fly
Ex-BOD, Hall Of Fame Member, Ex-Angler

Well said my friend!
2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-15, 03:06 AM   #10
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Does this make 2fly the first lady?

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote