NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Off-topic Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-15, 04:23 PM   #11
buckman1
Native

Too bad no one can get a Sasquatch on trail cam.
buckman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-15, 04:48 PM   #12
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

About 45 years ago I saw a black "swampus kitty" up close one night coon hunting. It was a little smaller than the hounds we were running, with a tail longer than its body. It was in a thicket in some swamp bottoms about a mile back behind where I now live.
Some things like that you don't forget. I was ready to get my hind end out of that swamp real quick!

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-15, 01:08 AM   #13
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Not in Georgia, but I've seen plenty and they are like Sasquatch in GA. Everyone has a story, just no proof.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-15, 03:56 PM   #14
Brotherbear
Native

Devoured deer carcass in the vicinity and my wife and sister's hair standing on end hauling *** back to camp was what I remember more than the cat in the tree.1+1= exit might have some 35mm pics.Have to check and see.
Old 12-03-15, 04:11 AM   #15
Remoh
Hall of Fame Member, Official Ambassador to the State of Alabama, Iron Skillet Award Recipient, and cruiser of the western Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnpreacher View Post
About 45 years ago I saw a black "swampus kitty" up close one night coon hunting. It was a little smaller than the hounds we were running, with a tail longer than its body. It was in a thicket in some swamp bottoms about a mile back behind where I now live.
Some things like that you don't forget. I was ready to get my hind end out of that swamp real quick!
Same thing for me Bill. I saw a wampus cat in 1975 on a large tract of private virgin land next to The Tombigbee River in South Al about 2 hours North of Mobile. I was hunting a large white oak mud flat next to the river. Mossy Back Bucks. We had trapped two Bob Cats the same year. Most wild cats I have shined with a light have green eyes, same with coons. This cat was about 30#'s plus with a long tail and had blue eyes when I hit him with the light.
Remoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-15, 12:09 PM   #16
terry creech
Director, Hall of Fame Member

Believe I saw one maybe 20 years back hunting a power line in south GA. Only mentioned it to a couple of family members. Yeah, I'd say a 30 pound black something with a long tail. Saw it just long enough to make me want to rub my eyes in disbelief. I wouldn't go to the stake over it though....
"Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37
terry creech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-15, 01:02 PM   #17
flyg
Hall of Fame Member

This appears legit. A little searching shows that the TWRA has confirmed a still photo from a trail cam in west TN in late September, and they have also confirmed this one as real from central TN from sometime around Thanksgiving. In the past decade there have been pretty well confirmed sightings in Louisiana, Missouri, and Arkansas and the belief has been that they're expanding westward up against the MS river. I've heard that there have been sightings in KY in recent years. We know they can get up into central GA from south FL because that has happened pretty recently.

I've always been very skeptical of all kinds of cougar sightings in GA. With all the trail cams, hunters, and drivers out there, we'll see them when they get here. I think this fits with that idea. Animals are expanding from the west, as we've known for a while. A sighting in TN is consistent with this. It would be cool to have them show up in GA for real in the next decade or so.
My opinion.

G
flyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-15, 01:58 PM   #18
Chsmith_jr
Native

Hate to bust a bunch of people's bubbles, but there has never been a documented case of a black panther in the wild nor has anyone ever been able to breed one in captivity.

If you saw a black cat in the woods, it was just that, a black cat, not a mountain lion.
Chsmith_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-15, 03:01 PM   #19
terry creech
Director, Hall of Fame Member

This is true, I know. Like I said, won't go to the stake. But I've seen big kitties and black labs in the woods and, well....
"Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37
terry creech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-15, 03:07 PM   #20
ChefKy
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chsmith_jr View Post
Hate to bust a bunch of people's bubbles, but there has never been a documented case of a black panther in the wild nor has anyone ever been able to breed one in captivity.

If you saw a black cat in the woods, it was just that, a black cat, not a mountain lion.
If you read that on the internet it must be true....

-Tom Brokaw-
ChefKy is offline   Reply With Quote