NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Off-topic Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-15, 01:45 AM   #21
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chsmith_jr View Post
Hate to bust a bunch of people's bubbles, but there has never been a documented case of a black panther in the wild nor has anyone ever been able to breed one in captivity.

If you saw a black cat in the woods, it was just that, a black cat, not a mountain lion.
True....

But what is probably being seen is a cougar in the shadows, at low light times. To the eye, color appears black.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-15, 02:46 AM   #22
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

I know what I saw. I've been called a liar flat out, and I've been told that I was mistaken, that black cats don't exist in North Ga.

I know what I saw.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-15, 03:04 AM   #23
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

...yeah, me too, Bill...!!

...it's kinda' hard for me to un-see something I've seen...

...Cath and the kids had one jump across the road in Walnut Hill , AL near Lake Martin and it vaulted the hood of the Corolla they were driving...they still talk about it...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-15, 04:24 AM   #24
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnpreacher View Post
I know what I saw. I've been called a liar flat out, and I've been told that I was mistaken, that black cats don't exist in North Ga.

I know what I saw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counslrman View Post
...yeah, me too, Bill...!!

...it's kinda' hard for me to un-see something I've seen...

...Cath and the kids had one jump across the road in Walnut Hill , AL near Lake Martin and it vaulted the hood of the Corolla they were driving...they still talk about it...

Blessings!

Jimmy
I'm not saying you are lying. I remember telling my college biology professor that I saw a cougar in McGregor, Texas while I was an undergraduate. It was way outside it's normal range. Three years later as a graduate student, I hit a cougar with the Biology van in McGregor, Texas. Proof!

There has been ZERO documented cases of a true melanistic Felis concolor.
Old 12-04-15, 04:39 AM   #25
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

...I didn't mean it that way, Russ...I was just saying that it's hard to reconcile what you see with statistics / projections / etc.

...there can't be water mocs there...well, I ran over one in the road...

...no panthers or cougars here...well, I saw one...

...the memory is there... on your brain's hard drive...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Old 12-04-15, 04:52 AM   #26
UncleJesse
Native

Going back to square 1, the cougar in the photo was reported in another FB post as being in Humboldt County, middle Tennessee.
Old 12-04-15, 05:16 AM   #27
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counslrman View Post
...I didn't mean it that way, Russ...I was just saying that it's hard to reconcile what you see with statistics / projections / etc.

...there can't be water mocs there...well, I ran over one in the road...

...no panthers or cougars here...well, I saw one...

...the memory is there... on your brain's hard drive...

Blessings!

Jimmy
I fully understand what you and Bill meant. That was the point about my story with the cougar in Texas. I knew what I saw but it took some years to get it documented.

Folks see lots of things, heck I've seen things in Downtown Atlanta that can not be explained and quite frankly, shouldn't be.
Old 12-04-15, 06:49 AM   #28
Chsmith_jr
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefKy View Post
If you read that on the internet it must be true....
Or if you majored in wildlife biology, worked for the Colorado Division of Wildlife, and spoke with mountain lion experts from multiple states... I know I didn't attach a resume to my post, but I'm not sure why you jumped to this conclusion.

Though I know citing "the internet" probably doesn't mean much to you, the Missouri Dept. of Conservation and the Indiana DNR are two references that I found quickly that corroborate what I'm saying. Those statements are based on scientific facts, not anecdotal evidence.

I don't doubt that people have seen mountain lions in Georgia. I don't doubt that people have seen mountain lions that appeared to be black, due to a muddy coat, trick of light, or some other reason. However, there is enough scientific research to say, with certainty, that no one has ever seen an actual black mountain lion.
Chsmith_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-15, 07:14 AM   #29
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

#blackpanthersmatter

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-15, 08:34 AM   #30
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chsmith_jr View Post
Or if you majored in wildlife biology, worked for the Colorado Division of Wildlife, and spoke with mountain lion experts from multiple states... I know I didn't attach a resume to my post, but I'm not sure why you jumped to this conclusion.

Though I know citing "the internet" probably doesn't mean much to you, the Missouri Dept. of Conservation and the Indiana DNR are two references that I found quickly that corroborate what I'm saying. Those statements are based on scientific facts, not anecdotal evidence.

I don't doubt that people have seen mountain lions in Georgia. I don't doubt that people have seen mountain lions that appeared to be black, due to a muddy coat, trick of light, or some other reason. However, there is enough scientific research to say, with certainty, that no one has ever seen an actual black mountain lion.

...I do not know what "experts" call them, but my family and I have seen some BIG kitties in the GA woods that were not house cats or bobcats...I don't care whether anybody believes it or doesn't...

Blessings!

Jimmy