NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Off-topic Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-15, 10:23 AM   #31
Remoh
Hall of Fame Member, Official Ambassador to the State of Alabama, Iron Skillet Award Recipient, and cruiser of the western Caribbean

I know big cats and wampus cats may fall under Folklore in our area. I have slept in the swamp many nights. Just because the scientific community has not confirmed a sighting is suspect. The Big Cats are out there. Trust me.
Remoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-15, 10:29 AM   #32
Vesdew
Stocker

At low tide, I've been walking/wading the the marsh/flats on St. Simons island and run across cats a few times. Not large cats, but I don't know if I would call them "house" cats either.

That's my wild cat story.... and I'm sticking to it.

-VDS
Vesdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-15, 11:16 AM   #33
THE EG
CFO, HoF Member, Director

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesdew View Post
At low tide, I've been walking/wading the the marsh/flats on St. Simons island and run across cats a few times. Not large cats, but I don't know if I would call them "house" cats either.

That's my wild cat story.... and I'm sticking to it.

-VDS
Ha. I've always called those dumpster cats because they tend to live out behind the restaurants in the area.

Speaking of cougars, I guess mine are starting to range into their 60s. (probably should have put that in the "random thoughts" thread).
Old 12-04-15, 11:19 AM   #34
Chsmith_jr
Native

I don't think anyone in this thread has doubted the presence of mountain lions in GA. I hope no one is understanding me to be saying that.

However, there has never been a verifiable sighting of a black mountain lion ever, anywhere in the world, nor has anyone ever been able to breed a black mountain lion in captivity. There is no indication that a black mountain lion is a genetic possibility.
Chsmith_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-15, 12:28 PM   #35
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

I don't have any ill feelings toward anyone here, I understand scientific data, and especially the fact that no hard evidence of a large cat in Ga has been found.
Remember, what I saw, I saw 45 or so years ago, I would have been a young teen. But I remember it as if it was yesterday. It was not a tan cat in the shadows, it was black. We shined a light directly on it. We had been coon hunting, and the dogs ran this cat instead of a coon. We were in a heavy thicket, and the cat slipped out 20 -30 yards away. It stopped momentarily, then darted back into the thicket. The whole incident maybe lasted 3 seconds, but as I said, I know what I saw.
Old folks called them "painters," and I remember folks talking about there being painters in the deep swamps.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-15, 04:00 PM   #36
halh68
Hall of Fame

Amazing how a man can be convicted for killing an animal in GA that doesn't exist in GA. Don't trust the "facts" just because DNR says they are not here . Neither are Florida panthers !

http://www.fws.gov/southeast/news/2011/11-057.html
Old 12-04-15, 04:10 PM   #37
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EG View Post

Speaking of cougars, I guess mine are starting to range into their 60s. (probably should have put that in the "random thoughts" thread).
I see what you did there.

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-15, 04:43 PM   #38
flyg
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chsmith_jr View Post
I don't think anyone in this thread has doubted the presence of mountain lions in GA.
Oh I do. Except for the one from Florida that was killed in GA (and discussed at great length here) I've never heard a GA mountain lion story I did not doubt. I do hope they are in GA, I would be happy to see them get back to the southern Appalachians. The whole idea of "belief" in the issue, especially by people who have never had a personal sighting is odd. Either a population of wild mountain lions exists in GA or it doesn't. I don't think the evidence is compelling, but I certainly could be wrong. There is good evidence that Mt. lions have been range expanding in some places. And we know that one can get from the Everglades to central GA. Also, there are a lot of captive big cats held all around the country, and black ones are popular.

If I "believe" anything about the issue it is that if all the sightings earnestly and truthfully reported in GA were true, then there would be no doubt about the presence of them. We'd be seeing them on trail cams and running over them on the road and such. It is not worth getting bent up over. I honestly don't know, but think the evidence better supports not having a persistent population in GA.

G
flyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-15, 12:46 AM   #39
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

...Hey, no hard feelings here...I ain't a hater...I'm just sayin' I am certain of what I saw...as are my wife and grown kids...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-15, 03:48 AM   #40
Scott Swartz
Hall of Fame Member, NGTO Sponsor

In the early 90's deer hunting some Flint River "bottom" lands around Roberta Ga. I Drove my truck in the early morning dark and got out to walk a field along the side of some woods to get to my tree stand. About 1/2 way something in the woods next to me SCREAMED a LONG LOUD warning. The hair on the back of my next stood up and suddenly I felt like I was the hunted. I locked and loaded and walked backwards to my truck. Scared the heck out of me. Later I told the farmer / land owner and he said "oh, you ran across the big cat...be glad you did not do that in the spring when she has young with her". I've seen her around here for a couple of years now". I did not see the cat and I hope I never ever do...but, I will NEVER forget that scream.
Scott Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote