NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Off-topic Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-15, 02:19 PM   #41
terry creech
Director, Hall of Fame Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
#blackpanthersmatter
sure nuff funny....
"Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37
terry creech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-15, 06:43 AM   #42
troutbum69
Native

So is the argument here about mountain lions, catamounts, or cougars?

As far as the black cat thing goes I don't think that anyone has ever proved them to be in GA.

However, mountain lions/catamounts/cougars do exist in the southeast.

For the biologists in the group, do I have that right?

A lot of these arguments always get worse when people confuse mountain lions with panthers with pumas... and so on

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-15, 08:21 AM   #43
Brotherbear
Native

Pretty sure I have a picture will dig out tonight. Dig being the operative word.
Georgia Outdoor news had a reward out for proof positive info for a couple of years.
Old 12-07-15, 10:15 AM   #44
Chsmith_jr
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum69 View Post
So is the argument here about mountain lions, catamounts, or cougars?

As far as the black cat thing goes I don't think that anyone has ever proved them to be in GA.

However, mountain lions/catamounts/cougars do exist in the southeast.

For the biologists in the group, do I have that right?

A lot of these arguments always get worse when people confuse mountain lions with panthers with pumas... and so on
Mountain lion, panther, puma, cougar, and catamount are all common names of the same animal. I grew up in SC calling them panthers, but when I went to work for the CO Division of Wildlife, everyone just called them lions. It just depends on where you're from.

There have been documented cases of black bobcats, but there has never been a documented black panther, neither in the wild nor in captivity. I don't know if anyone has documented a black bobcat in GA, but there seems to be a higher concentration of the black coloration in some populations in FL, so it wouldn't surprise me if GA had some as well.

Very few people are willing to argue that there are no mountain lions in GA, though I guess flyg did earlier in this thread. Mountain lions range hundreds of miles, so it is not crazy to expect them to wander into GA on occasion. Mountain lions have been slowly creeping in from the west, as well, with confirmed sightings in LA, AR, and, now, TN. Heck, there was a mountain lion killed in Chicago a few years ago that, after DNA testing, was proven to have originated in the Black Hills of SD. So, the idea that a mountain lion could be sighted just about anywhere in the southeast is plausible. That being said, the idea that there is a resident population or even a high number of wandering individuals doesn't seem plausible. In regards to the rest of the southeast, the last time I talked to biologists in MS, AL, SC, and NC (which admittedly has been a few years now), they all still claimed that no hard evidence of even a single mountain lion in their respective states had been produced in fifty years or more.
Chsmith_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-15, 01:48 AM   #45
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherbear View Post
Pretty sure I have a picture will dig out tonight. Dig being the operative word.
Georgia Outdoor news had a reward out for proof positive info for a couple of years.
And a bunch of bobcats and domestic cats were submitted as proof.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-15, 06:45 AM   #46
dink
Hall of Fame

Default More info

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2015/...ion-100-years/
dink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-15, 01:36 PM   #47
watkins
Native

Send a message via Yahoo to watkins
Default Big Cat,

Ain't no doubt about that 'un, but if I saw a scrape like that I'd be investigating also! TRW
watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-15, 12:53 AM   #48
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

I love how he says they "Would be the top predator in the woods, outside of man."

That's a woefully ignorant statement to me.
Old 12-15-15, 02:01 AM   #49
fishmonger
Past Director, Hall of Fame

My brother and I saw the back half of a puma disappear into the brush while walking a trail on the side of a mountain near Waynesville, NC. We both saw it, in daylight, from about 75 feet. We ran up to the spot and looked uphill where it was headed and didn't see anything else. We told my Mom and Stepdad, and they told the locals, who said they haven't heard of a sighting in decades. We are both sure of what we saw, and both knew it immediately. This was about 10 years ago.

FM

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder
fishmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-15, 02:38 AM   #50
Fern Valley Girl
NGTO Sponsor, Hall of Fame Member

Default I Believe

I'm a Believer

About 8 years ago, Marty & I were in the river. Dottie was there too. I looked up and saw a HUGE cat (see above sketch) cross the river way down below us. He/she made 3 or 4 leaps from rock to rock and was gone. I turned around to say something, and the look on Marty's face told me he'd seen it too.

There was no doubt about what we'd seen and it can't be unseen.

We're really glad we saw it together. We didn't think anyone would believe us, but when Marty shared the story at the real estate office, many of the locals nodded their heads. Seeing was a gift, but it sure would be nice to catch one on camera. Maybe we need to get our game camera back up.

... now a wolf-dog? We have proof of that.
Fern Valley Girl is offline   Reply With Quote