NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > NGTO Projects
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-14, 08:12 PM   #1
SwinginIt
Native

Default NGTO Clean Up Day?

So short story long, My 6 yr old and I were discussing potential plans for this weekend the other day and he put fishing on the table. I told him I knew of something we should do but that it wouldn't be fun and he probably wouldn't want to do it. He asked what it was and I told him that instead of going fishing we should take a trash bag and go along the section of river we like to fish and pick up all of the trash that all of the sorry *** people leave behind. We like to fish the Chattahoochee WMA and believe me there's a lot of trash up through there. He looked at me very seriously and said "I'll gladly do that." To say I was proud at that moment would be a severe understatement.

So this morning we did just that. We grabbed a trash bag and spent almost 2 hours picking up trash at the various fishing holes along the river. We did wet a line at two of the holes that I had a good feeling about and we both managed to catch one each. My son diligently picked up trash that whole time and the only complaining he did was about the inconsiderateness of the people that leave all that trash behind. And I agreed with him.

Ok now that I've bragged about the awesomeness of my son on to the point of this thread. A thought occurred to me while we were out there: Does NGTO ever have river clean up days?

I know that most of the people on here believe in being good stewards of the river and its inhabitants and I know that some people pick up some of the trash they see while they're fishing, but have you guys ever considered organizing a large group clean up day? Maybe do two different days, one for the section of the Hooch in the ATL for all the city slickers and one for the Upper Hooch for all us country bumpkins. It would be a great thing to get kids involved in to help teach them environmental responsibility. We could even make it fun for them by offering prizes for collecting certain amounts of trash. Bring in a full bag get some assorted tackle, bring in two full bags and get a tackle box, whoever brings in the most full bags gets a fishing pole. If any members here are involved with scouts we could get them involved as well. I know I'd try to get my son's cub scout den involved. We could maybe come up with something to make it more interesting for the grown ups too, just to motivate more people to show up.

I know I'm just a new guy around here and maybe I'm stepping out of place but it seems like a good idea to me and would be a win win for the river and all the people that enjoy it. Even if no one here is interested in organizing something my son and I will continue to do it ourselves. So don't be surprised if you're ever fishing the Hooch WMA and see a man and his son wandering along the river with trash bags instead of fishing poles.
SwinginIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-14, 08:52 PM   #2
Swamp Angel
President

Good on ya for the work! My wife, Meaux, carries a big trash bag with us when we're out on the 'Hooch in our boat. By the end of a day's fishing she has the bag full of water bottles and beer cans (an a few flip-flops and such) which tubers and others have tossed into the water as they float in their loud, boisterous, disrespectful packs. But not all of it is from tubers. I lot of it comes from stuff that gets washed into the storm drains during rain events. Tennis balls, basketballs, footballs, soccer balls, baskets, punctured pool toys, etc. . . And the GOLF BALLS! OH MY!

Usually, in the spring, a several TU Chapters, along with the National Park Service, and Upper Chattahoochee River Keeper hook up for a MAJOR clean up along the 48-mile length of the 'Hooch that makes up the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area between Buford Dam and Peachtree Creek as the river makes its way toward and through northern Atlanta. Keep an eye out on the board as March and April approach for the announcement calling for volunteers.
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-14, 09:02 PM   #3
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Default NGTO Clean Up Day?

Swing,

In the past, members have made the same suggestion as you. Typically NGTO would support such an effort. Keeping in mind that this is a volunteer organization.....the powers to be would most likely not organize the endeavor. They most likely would support you....if you wanted to organize it. In the past NGTO has purchased supplies and food for these type endeavors and help promote the event on this website as well as other methods.

So with that said, why don't you put something on paper and run it by the BODs here. I can't speak for them. Of course you can always do your own thing....just confer with the BODs if you want to affiliate the event with NGTO.

Great idea and I like your enthusiasm!

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 06:11 AM   #4
Gatorbyte
Ex El Presidente Supremo, Happy Cowboy Sunshine Boy (currently in exile on Elba)

Send a message via AIM to Gatorbyte

Excellent Idea, and I feel confident that this would be supported by NGTO and the BOD. As Drifter said, put a proposal together and present it to the BOD.

ad illudendum , et in sibilum

"Laughter is my drug of choice"
- B. Nelson, HSD, AA, BS, MS, LPC, LMHC, NCC, FFF CCI, ACI, PADI AD, OPP, OCD, ADHD, ODD, PIB, MIB, PBR, PB & J, General Manager of the World, Fluent in Sarcasm

TBoy to GB: "An education doesn't fix stupid, you're living proof of that "

"You're an Idiot" - RScott

I Beat Tommy King in a Spelling Bee.

"I canít be nobody but the Gatorbyte. Yes, I like talking about myself in the third person. Something tells me deep down inside you like it too. I'm YUGE!" - Bret "Gatorbyte" Nelson
Gatorbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-14, 07:39 AM   #5
groundpounder
Hall of Fame Member, Former Director

Swampy mentioned the Chattahoochee River Keepers. They will have several cleanups a year they call "Sweep the Hooch". My family has participated the last 2 years and get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Here is a pick of part of my crew and my trash barge for the day.

groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-14, 10:42 PM   #6
Brotherbear
Native

Thats what I am talking about.
I used to paddle almost every day from 400 to Island Ford. On a regular basis always saw a young lady in bathing suit with a kayak full of trash.Got me started on always bring back somebody else's trash.
Old 10-08-14, 05:25 AM   #7
SwinginIt
Native

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I don't know that I'll try to organize something myself. I'm not really the event organizing type. I can come up with ideas and be helpful with planning, but not so much being in charge and putting the whole thing together. That's kinda why I asked if you guys ever organized anything . I may bring it up to my son's pack leader and see if they'd be interested in putting something together with the scouts. Regardless though, organized event or not, my son and I will be making a regular thing of it. Hopefully seeing us out there will encourage people to do the same or at least think twice about tossing all of their trash and others to bring a bag and pick up some trash. We did talk to one woman who said she was now inspired to bring a bag with her from now on. So maybe there's hope of at least seeing a reduction of trash over time.
SwinginIt is offline   Reply With Quote