NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-17, 10:33 AM   #1
docdb
Stocker

Default North of Burrells

Im planning to give the trout fishing a go north of Burrells on the Chattooga. I'm a newbie trout fisherman, but I camp alot, and will be camping. Any fly suggestions? I use Karl at the fly shop for advice often, but I'm afraid I'm taking too much of his time. Any pointers for catching summer trout would be appreciated.
Don
docdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-17, 01:06 PM   #2
Upstream
Native

Soon? I'd still go with yellow for dries. Should be some yellow sallies still around. Stimulators might be good. I'd want some terrestrials along too.
Upstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-17, 03:28 PM   #3
Ellicott
Native

That is a good area for hiking, camping, and fishing. The fishing can be hit or miss. I would use a dry dropper set up for sure. I never fished it June -August.
Ellicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-17, 10:30 PM   #4
zug buggin
Native

You are talking about Ellicott Wilderness area which there is no stocked fish only stream born brown trout which can be a challenge. I have spent many fishless days up there. The scenery is spectacular, on weekdays if you get away from the road by going upstream you wont see many people, there are a lot of fish up there but it might be discouraging for a newbie trout fisherman but if you want to take the challenge go by the Chattogga River Fly shop on Hwy 28 in Mountain Rest, SC its about 10 miles on the South Carolina side just south of the hwy 28 hwy 107 fork in Mountain Rest, SC. They by far will have the most up to date Knowledge on river above Burell's Ford. Also you'll need to keep a eye on the river gauges to watch the stream temp since you will be there in the heat of summer the water temps can get a little warm. Also take a stream thermometer and check temps thru the day. If you are flexible I would suggest moving your trip to a little earlier in the year.

The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane

Last edited by zug buggin; 06-15-17 at 10:37 PM.
zug buggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-17, 01:53 PM   #5
BUBBA CORNCHUCKER
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by zug buggin View Post
You are talking about Ellicott Wilderness area which there is no stocked fish only stream born brown trout which can be a challenge. I have spent many fishless days up there. The scenery is spectacular, on weekdays if you get away from the road by going upstream you wont see many people, there are a lot of fish up there but it might be discouraging for a newbie trout fisherman but if you want to take the challenge go by the Chattogga River Fly shop on Hwy 28 in Mountain Rest, SC its about 10 miles on the South Carolina side just south of the hwy 28 hwy 107 fork in Mountain Rest, SC. They by far will have the most up to date Knowledge on river above Burell's Ford. Also you'll need to keep a eye on the river gauges to watch the stream temp since you will be there in the heat of summer the water temps can get a little warm. Also take a stream thermometer and check temps thru the day. If you are flexible I would suggest moving your trip to a little earlier in the year.

FYI- Karl owns the fly shop.
BUBBA CORNCHUCKER is offline   Reply With Quote