NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Off-topic Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-16, 07:29 PM   #1
Fern Valley Girl
NGTO Sponsor, Hall of Fame Member

Default Need Recommendation for a Fish Mount

Asking for a guest... does anyone have a recommendation for a taxidermist for a fish mount from a photo?

I'm in love with the "Catch & Release Paintings" by Paul Puckett, but some folks really like the traditional look of a mounted fish.

Much appreciated,
Glad
Fern Valley Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-16, 07:53 PM   #2
Remoh
Hall of Fame Member, Official Ambassador to the State of Alabama, Iron Skillet Award Recipient, and cruiser of the western Caribbean

Glad, I believe Cabellas offers the Fiberglass Mounts with pics and if you have measurements. They typically need length and girth.

Maybe Fishreplicas.com

Big Believer in Fiberglass mounts.

I had some skin mounts that disintegrated after many years and I was hoping to pass them on for generations.
Remoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-16, 08:24 PM   #3
baldea
BOD, Hall of Fame

King sailfish mounts.

http://www.kingsailfishmounts.com/fr...nts-c-164.html

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

baldea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-16, 08:34 PM   #4
terry creech
Director, Hall of Fame Member

Not in your part of the world but this is a Dukes rainbow replica from a photo and measurements I took stream side some years ago. Broderick Head in Roopville, Dang Near Alabama, GA. Big operation, has done a couple trout for me and does lions, tigers, and bears too. Even elephants.

http://www.headstaxidermy.com/index.html

Ain't cheap- back in '06 or 7 he was $10 an inch as I recall - but bookoo awards.

I have a good friend from church, Terry Eckart, who works in fly fishing at the Cabelas in Acworth. You might have your client speak with him as well.
"Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37

Last edited by terry creech; 02-22-16 at 09:15 PM.
terry creech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-16, 09:54 PM   #5
FlickNdip
Native

http://www.gawildlifetaxidermy.com

He is the only person I would recommend for a trout in Georgia. He is located in Lawrenceville, Ga. I will post a picture tomorrow of his work.
FlickNdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-16, 10:46 PM   #6
terry creech
Director, Hall of Fame Member

Pretty stuff
"Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37
terry creech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-16, 05:43 AM   #7
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Both Broderick Heads and Wildlife Taxidermy are excellent choices. Also look at Fortner Taxidermy.

Woody's Taxidermy is also located in Baldwin.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-16, 06:21 AM   #8
fredw
Native

The most important thing, imho, to consider when purchasing a replica mount is the taxidermists artistic ability. Painting fish, especially trout, can be challenging even for experienced taxidermists. The majority of a taxidermists time is spent with dead critters with hides. You may find that a great deer taxidermist isn't so good with a paint brush/air brush. I would want to see examples of the taxidermists work before I made a commitment.

I have used these folks http://www.mountthis.net/ to do replicas of a rainbow and a cutt. Both turned out well.

This guy does a great job http://anglerschoicefishmounts.com/coldwater-fish/

Last edited by fredw; 02-23-16 at 07:16 AM.
fredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-16, 06:41 AM   #9
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

...I had a buddy (he passed away last year), who had a big rainbow he caught in Lake Seed at this place...

http://www.headstaxidermy.com/

...it was beautifully done...!!

...I believe it was a natural mount, though...not able to recommend either method...all my mounts are old and done way before they even did replicas...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-16, 09:31 AM   #10
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default Dead Animals ....... 8- )

I have always had a dislike of the general practice of hanging dead animals or replicas on the wall. Then again, sometimes it is the perfect thing to do. There are some fish that with a fiberglass replica just set the tone for someone's man cave or cabin. When we had our cabin on Fightingtown I tried through my cousin in Montana to get a buffalo robe but that never quite worked out. My ex-son-in-law actually had a life size mount of a mountain lion he shot with a bow in Utah. Beautiful! Except you needed one very large wall for this thing and it dominated the room! My temptation would likely come in the way of a steelhead or salmon if they exceeded at least 30".

As far as the replicas looking like the real fish, most I have seen are very well done. I would go so far to say, as someone earlier implied, that the replicas done by artists are superior to skin mounts done by the taxidermy folks.

Footnote: Be sure you have signed spousal approval before hanging any thing in the living room ..................
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote