NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fly Tying Bench > Fly Tying Tips and Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-16, 04:28 PM   #1
Kelly Hinson
Native

Default Homemade Strike Indicators

Just wanted to ask the community if anyone has made strike indicators from egg or polypro yarn similar to a New Zeland type of indicator without using a special tool.

I have tied some yarn indicators using a rubber O ring in various sizes and would like to hear from anyone doing something similar.

Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.

Kelly
Kelly Hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-16, 06:04 PM   #2
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Kelly - I use homemade strike indicators, big & bushy stimis that I tie with New Zealand strike indicator wool, orange mostly. Big and gaudy but fish try to eat them all the time.

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-16, 11:16 PM   #3
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

If you are going to use a strike indicator, it might as well have a hook in it....
big bushy stimmie

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-16, 11:01 AM   #4
Stinkbait
Native

For years (decades), I've used polypro yarn from a craft store and small orthodontic rubber bands. Loop the leader and run the loop through the rubber band three times. Put a small piece of polypro through the loop and pull the leader until the loop tightens. Cut the resulting polypro puff to size and coat with mucilin or dry fly liquid floatent (or precoat before using). You can slide this up and butt half of the leader with no problem.

It's very sensitive. I think better than a thingamabobber for detecting strikes. But not as convenient. Plus more wind resistant and flies can get hooked in the yarn when casting.
Stinkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-16, 11:13 AM   #5
Swamp Angel
President

Meaux makes these just like you've described. She even made her own vise to whip them up from a bench mounted tool vise and a pair of needle nose vise grips. She loves 'em and is determined to make me abandon my Thing-a-ma-bobbers in favor of her yarn indicators. If she continues to out fish me as is her habit, I may just make the change.
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Last edited by Swamp Angel; 04-02-16 at 05:25 PM.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-16, 01:43 PM   #6
Prowler
Native, aka Tooga Prowler

Check out this indicator system http://www.strikeindicator.com/ It looks really neat to me so I just ordered the kit, the extra tubing and the extra bag of colored wool. I will let you know how I like it after it arrives.

Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-16, 02:46 PM   #7
ferrulewax
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Check out this indicator system http://www.strikeindicator.com/ It looks really neat to me so I just ordered the kit, the extra tubing and the extra bag of colored wool. I will let you know how I like it after it arrives.
The New zeland indicator is definetly a neat system. I like it because it is very stealthy, casts easily, and is adjustable- not only for depth but for the size of the indicator. It however will not replace my thingamabobbers, it is just not capable of floating a high amount of wieght.

For spooky fish, tailwater fish, and wild fish- were you are looking to float midges, small PTs, and other smaller stuff they the NZ indicator are great. for lots of split shot and heavy flies, i will stick to thingamabobber's. Each has an important place in the toolbox- or rather tacklebox.

My Instagram
Unicoi Outfitters
ferrulewax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-16, 05:11 PM   #8
Prowler
Native, aka Tooga Prowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrulewax View Post
The New zeland indicator is definetly a neat system. I like it because it is very stealthy, casts easily, and is adjustable- not only for depth but for the size of the indicator. It however will not replace my thingamabobbers, it is just not capable of floating a high amount of wieght.

For spooky fish, tailwater fish, and wild fish- were you are looking to float midges, small PTs, and other smaller stuff they the NZ indicator are great. for lots of split shot and heavy flies, i will stick to thingamabobber's. Each has an important place in the toolbox- or rather tacklebox.
Thanks fw. I think I will like it. I am getting it for small stuff. If I get into heavy flies, I will be euro nymphing and using my normal 2 foot sighter. I think it will be great for fishing 6x or 7x and a couple size 18 midges.

Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-16, 07:16 AM   #9
HILLIS LANIER
Native

Using the NZ Strike Indicator with very small flies makes since, but how do you get tiny flies down into the strike zone in water such as the hooch other than to add weight, which would probably cause the NZ Strike Indicator to sink. I purchased a NZ Strike Indicator last week, tried it on the Hooch this week and it floated only a short distance before sinking. I switched back to a thingamabobber. Maybe I should have trimmed the strike indicator, made it into a ball, added floatant. I intend to give it another try and do all of this, but the advertisements for the NZ Strike Indicator seemed to indicate the strike indicator would float for sometime before floatant was necessary.
Old 05-11-16, 07:48 AM   #10
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLIS LANIER View Post
Using the NZ Strike Indicator with very small flies makes since, but how do you get tiny flies down into the strike zone in water such as the hooch other than to add weight, which would probably cause the NZ Strike Indicator to sink. I purchased a NZ Strike Indicator last week, tried it on the Hooch this week and it floated only a short distance before sinking. I switched back to a thingamabobber. Maybe I should have trimmed the strike indicator, made it into a ball, added floatant. I intend to give it another try and do all of this, but the advertisements for the NZ Strike Indicator seemed to indicate the strike indicator would float for sometime before floatant was necessary.
Hillis what size tippet are you using? You would be surprised how quickly a size 18 midge with a 2.5 mm tungsten bead will sink using 6x or smaller tippet. Even at 5x it sinks pretty quickly, especially given most of the water on the hooch is moderate with respect to current speed.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote