NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fly Tying Bench > Fly Tying Tips and Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-16, 04:29 PM   #11
HILLIS LANIER
Native

Thanks for the guidance Big T. I was using 5x tippet and probably too much weight because I thought that was necessary to get the flies down in heavy current, and I thought the Hooch was considered heavy current. Most of my flies are not tungsten, so I usually add some weight. Maybe I do not need to add the weight. I plan to give the NZ Strike Indicator another try, follow your guidance and see if that works.
Old 05-11-16, 05:01 PM   #12
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLIS LANIER View Post
Thanks for the guidance Big T. I was using 5x tippet and probably too much weight because I thought that was necessary to get the flies down in heavy current, and I thought the Hooch was considered heavy current. Most of my flies are not tungsten, so I usually add some weight. Maybe I do not need to add the weight. I plan to give the NZ Strike Indicator another try, follow your guidance and see if that works.
I heard rumors that the great Hillis Lanier was fishing at the dam up near the boat ramp the other day. If you were in that area you should not need that much weight to get down pretty quick, and 5x should be Ok but you might want to try out 6x. Just make sure your hook set is a short crisp set so you don't break off. That is the biggest adjusment I have made as I have gone to lighter tippet.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-16, 06:54 AM   #13
HILLIS LANIER
Native

Thanks Big T.
Old 05-17-16, 01:31 AM   #14
Prowler
Native, aka Tooga Prowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLIS LANIER View Post
Using the NZ Strike Indicator with very small flies makes since, but how do you get tiny flies down into the strike zone in water such as the hooch other than to add weight, which would probably cause the NZ Strike Indicator to sink. I purchased a NZ Strike Indicator last week, tried it on the Hooch this week and it floated only a short distance before sinking. I switched back to a thingamabobber. Maybe I should have trimmed the strike indicator, made it into a ball, added floatant. I intend to give it another try and do all of this, but the advertisements for the NZ Strike Indicator seemed to indicate the strike indicator would float for sometime before floatant was necessary.
The strike indicator shouldn't sink fishing small midges. Last time out, I used a dry fly parachute adams tied with the parachute made out of indicator yarn and it floated all day long and that is with the weight of the hook so the NZ system should float even better than that. My NZ system came in the other day so I plan on using it this wednesday. I will let you know how it works for me.

Prowler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-16, 06:50 PM   #15
orey10m
Native

I've been looking for a good 'recipe' for tying a Strike Indicator/Stimi fly.
Anyone have a link to one?

Whenever I do 'dry-dropper' i feel like my Dry is just constantly sinking because my bottom flies are too heavy.
orey10m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 07:05 PM   #16
Back Country
Native

Maybe this will be of some help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrHxlsZhk8g
Back Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-16, 10:13 PM   #17
Kcone
Native

I fish the NZ quite a bit, and for spooky fish it's the best. The trick it using enough wool, thickness wise, but trim to a reasonably small size and add gink(generously). I regularly fish tandem midge rigs with #4 or #6 shot and it always floats. The wool style indicator will detect more subtle takes than a bobber style indicator( i.e. winter month midge takes can be extremely light) Also doesn't kink your leader. Just my experience!
Old 12-09-16, 10:28 AM   #18
Stinkyp123
Native

Interesting topic here! As i'm fairly new to the addiction i've been trying all of them across the board, Thingamabobbers, NZ, and now these Loon Stealth indicators. https://loonoutdoors.com/product/stealth-tip-toppers/

The bobbers were a bit much for any longer casting (for me), NZ weren't floating well enough and I had to keep track of the little tool, but these i've found are working great for me. Orvis sells a multi pack of sizes and colors (neon or neutrals), great water resistance out of the box, but coat them up nicely and I haven't had any issue whatsoever, even in a full day of rain, just add some more floatant if/when needed.

I've personally increased my hook-up rate tremendously, wether thats from changing to these or i'm finally showing progress in my skills... The sensitivity on these is awesome, I'm a fan.
Stinkyp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-16, 05:34 PM   #19
tone57
Native

I like this one sorta..
A little less than anatomically accurate, but easy enough and better than just yarn maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5neEL70DBhE

Hopdicator foam hopper

Tone

Last edited by tone57; 12-09-16 at 06:21 PM.
tone57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-17, 04:59 PM   #20
orey10m
Native

Yes, tone57 that's exactly what I was looking for. brilliant. Thanks!
orey10m is offline   Reply With Quote