NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-16, 03:05 PM   #1
teesmurf
Stocker

Question Atlanta Hooch question

Long time lurker first time poster. Anyways...

I hail from Habersham County where the Chattahoochee is considerably smaller than it is in my temporary home in Atlanta. For you folks that are familiar with fly fishing the Chattahoochee ITP or just OTP, where do you go to catch fish? I'll take anything that bites really. A couple weeks back I ran up to Cochran Shoals and fished it briefly but found it hard to find any wadeable spots to sling a fly. Thinking about checking out Island Ford this evening if traffic is in my favor by quitting time. Any local wisdom is appreciated.
teesmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-16, 04:19 PM   #2
wookie
Native

Island Ford, Jones Bridge (which is where I go because it's the closest to me), Paces Mill is just inside 285 on Hwy 41.
wookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-16, 04:23 PM   #3
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

teesmurf - welcome from lurking! Glad to have you here.

First thing you need to know is that the Hooch below Morgan Falls is DH, meaning it really only has trout from November 1st through the first of May. This has been a tough year due to all the rain as the river has been high from all the releases. Paces Unit has easier wading than Cochran shoals in my opinion.

Second thing is that the river between Buford dam and Morgan falls fluctuates daily due to releases from Buford Dam. The number to call for releases is posted in a sticky at the top of the forum, then you have to figure out when the water will rise at which part. Today is not a good day to fish Hooch as the water is high and another release planned for late today.

Welcome to the board, but please read the stickies on safety and ask all the stupid questions you want.

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-16, 04:23 PM   #4
Zeeee
Native

First off, welcome!

Buford Dam, Settle Bridge, Jones Bridge, and Island Ford have pretty good wading areas. Make sure to call ahead of time to check the releases. Weekends are on the summer schedule of no releases but I'd call just to make sure. If you fish between the dam and Ga 20 bridge , you have to have a PFD on. Just keep that in mind!
Zeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-16, 04:41 PM   #5
Zeeee
Native

Another good resource is found here for access points

http://www.atlantaflyfishingclub.org/resources/
Zeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-16, 06:26 PM   #6
Swamp Angel
President

Hey, teesmurf! First off, welcome to the show! Glad to have you join us.

As for good fishing OTP, one of the most versatile places to wade is at Jones Bridge. Very easy access can be had from the Gwinnett County side of the river. The wading isn't too difficult and there are a few places you can hop from rock to rock if you don't actually want to get into the water. That said, it can get really crowded really fast on the weekends with folks slinging bait from Zebco 33's right over your head from the banks.

Another of my favorites (although the wading option doesn't cover as much ground) is Settles Bridge. I like it mostly for the interesting nature of that particular CRNRA Unit. The old structure from Settles bridge is still there and a walkway has been built down to the base of the bridge. There is a short section there which is conducive to wading, and another section affording a small section good for wading about 200 yards upriver from there.

Apart from that, I'm mostly one to sit on my hiney-bottom in a small boat and cast my fly line in about as relaxed a position as can be found.

I'm certain that there are others who will chime in shortly with good advise or you'll possibly find a note in you PM inbox if someone is willing to share a particularly good spot without placing it on the board.

Once again, welcome to NGTO. It's good to have you here. Now go catch some trouts and post up some pictures!
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-16, 01:34 PM   #7
Steve Hudson
Hall of Fame Member

Default Great advice above!

Let me suggest one other thing too, if I may humbly suggest my own book.

HIKING THE HOOCH is a guide to all of the trail in the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area. Though it's a hiking book, it's really a fisherman's access book in disguise! It's available from many NGTO sponsor outfitters and fly shops or from www.chattahoocheemedia.com.

Have a great time on the water!

Best,

Steve
Steve Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-16, 12:40 AM   #8
wmoore
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by teesmurf View Post
Long time lurker first time poster. Anyways...

I hail from Habersham County where the Chattahoochee is considerably smaller than it is in my temporary home in Atlanta. For you folks that are familiar with fly fishing the Chattahoochee ITP or just OTP, where do you go to catch fish? I'll take anything that bites really. A couple weeks back I ran up to Cochran Shoals and fished it briefly but found it hard to find any wadeable spots to sling a fly. Thinking about checking out Island Ford this evening if traffic is in my favor by quitting time. Any local wisdom is appreciated.

Teesmurf - the guys at NGTO are great and some may think I am over the top about safety. But here's what I advise:

If you use waders wear a belt.

Always spot a rock just above the surface. If water rises and covers it, leave immediately.

Always check the generation schedule and know when high water will get to you.

I use a float tube, life jacket in the rear storage area.

Respect the water and learn your way slowly.

If you don't use a tube get a wading staff.

Have fun, and take care.
wmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-16, 10:42 AM   #9
jimboyyy
Native

Default Hooch DH

Wading the Hooch DH can be tricky. I recommend a collapsible wadding staff Dicks used to have an Uncle Bucks staff for $29.95 (some glue under the foam handle will make it last longer)

Paces--My suggestion is to fish the areas between the 75 bridge and the Parking lot. The trail side is somewhat sandy by the 75 Bridge and is easier to wade. The Far side is deeper and is usually where there are more fish and less fishing pressure. After the DH this is a great place to fish for bass.
The Ramp area looks inviting but I rarely have caught fish there. Others will probably say different.

Whitewater-- get someone to show you around. there are some deep holes that need to be avoided but the fishing can be really good here.

Sandy Point-- Its a bit of a hike to get down to but the shoals can hold lots of trout and bass.

For fishing the Hooch DH a Wooley Bugger and a dropper is my preferred method usually with 2 additional split shot. Buy all of Steve Hudson's Books on the Hooch DH and Flies.. Hes a great guy and teacher and you can shorten the learning curve with his insights.
jimboyyy is offline   Reply With Quote