NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Watercraft
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-16, 01:22 PM   #1
Bamajo
Stocker

Default Towee Keel Guard?

Any towee owners placed a keel guard on their boat? Mine has some scuffs on it from pulling it up on shore. I want to put a product on it that will cover 5-6 ft and protect it but wondering if the universal ones would fit the keel of a towee.
Bamajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-16, 07:20 PM   #2
Trouty Mouth
Native

Hey BamaJo - how have you been? On the keel guard, I know what Todd would say - that they have engineered enough toughness into the Towee that you don't have to worry about scratching it up, unless you have doing something uncommonly brutal on a regular basis. I would tend to agree with that - I think that a keel guard would be more for your own "peace of mind" than necessity! Best Regards, Trouty
Trouty Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-16, 10:42 AM   #3
Bamajo
Stocker

I've been doing good how about you? The underlying components may be tough but it is the gelcoat that is wearing down with normal use and I have even noticed some problems with air bubbles in the gelcoat being exposed. I want to be able to pull the nose up on concrete or rip rap when loading/unloading after launching from some of the places I use. Having something to protect would make me feel better. Other wise I guess I could keep doing what I'm doing and redo the gel coat.
Bamajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-16, 09:07 AM   #4
Trouty Mouth
Native

Yea, I do think that dragging up on rip rap would qualify as "uncommonly brutal!
Trouty Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-16, 02:21 PM   #5
FairWeatherFisherman
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

I put a keel guard on a glass boat and it worked fine. It does eventually work its way loose, but mine lasted a decade before it started coming loose.
FairWeatherFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-16, 11:52 AM   #6
River rat
Native

Bamajo, I also I considered a small keel guard, the one sold by Cabelas and BPS. I always used my SUP paddle to get close to the ramp or bank, then hold the boat in place a couple feet off the rocks or concrete, therefore I have to get in and out of the boat in knee deep water. I can't stand the sound of the gelcoat grinding!! Also, what do you guys use to clean the inside of your Towee's? Those white hatches and light colored floor sure get dirty and stain easily. I tried Soft Scrub last week and it worked pretty well, but did not completely get the stains out.
River rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-16, 12:03 PM   #7
Alexander.Foti
Native

Keel guard would have been very helpful when I scrapped on the south Holston...I am going to look into the BPS one as well. For cleaning I think the key is using a long bristled scrub brush. I usually just use the cheap car wash soap
Old 08-04-16, 05:19 PM   #8
Bfish
Native

Hamby's Light (sold many places) or even better is the thicker Hamby's Original (dealer installed only).
Bfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-17, 03:01 PM   #9
WadingThroughLife
Native

Did you decide on anything for the keel? Just picked up a Towee and considering options.
WadingThroughLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-17, 09:09 AM   #10
careybrowning
Native

check the river armor towee just released. It's a two part bottom coating (like slickcoat, frogspit, etc). He claims its tough as nails and doesn't hurt the speed at all. It's on towee's website. I've got it on my to do list after fishing season.
careybrowning is online now   Reply With Quote