NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Watercraft
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-17, 10:03 AM   #11
Bamajo
Stocker

I still havent done anything. Too busy blowing money on other accessories But I would like to price the new coating and see how hard it is to apply rather than using one of those adhesive keel guards. I was just worried some of the stock guards wouldnt fit well with the odd bow shape compared to other boats.
Bamajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-17, 05:38 PM   #12
Trouty Mouth
Native

When you get a price from Todd on that send me a PM please... I'm more thinking Oysters...

Last edited by Trouty Mouth; 06-16-17 at 05:39 PM. Reason: addition
Trouty Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-17, 10:17 AM   #13
WadingThroughLife
Native

The new coating is supposed to run about $1200. That's de-rigging, grind down, apply, re-rig. Not sure if there's a discount if you de-rig/prep on your own/re-rig. I'm sure he's pretty particular about the prep work to get solid adhesion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WadingThroughLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-17, 02:25 PM   #14
Bamajo
Stocker

Welp... That is out then. Maybe its time go to a seaark.
Bamajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-17, 08:23 PM   #15
Trouty Mouth
Native

ahh - no...
Trouty Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-17, 09:46 AM   #16
WadingThroughLife
Native

Yeah, if you're handy and just willing to do the work, you can de-rig and flip your boat and DIY with another product or just do a keel on trailer. I'm thinking about getting the stuff Todd originally put on my hull, by Wearalon and refinishing. Should cost about $250 and a few days of work. Also considering getting a line-x type of keel sprayed on as well as the bottom of the transom for banging rocks when rowing. Lots of options about for roll on armor.

Old 06-22-17, 07:32 PM   #17
JerryG
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadingThroughLife View Post
Yeah, if you're handy and just willing to do the work, you can de-rig and flip your boat and DIY with another product or just do a keel on trailer. I'm thinking about getting the stuff Todd originally put on my hull, by Wearalon and refinishing. Should cost about $250 and a few days of work. Also considering getting a line-x type of keel sprayed on as well as the bottom of the transom for banging rocks when rowing. Lots of options about for roll on armor.

Link?

I need something on the nose of my riverhawk before too long. It's wearing in an area just from sliding it up on concrete boat ramps. I try to pull up on the upstream side off the ramp when I can, but now and then that isn't possible.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-17, 10:02 PM   #18
WadingThroughLife
Native

https://bottomcoatings.com

Probably the 2 stage kit.

Old 06-23-17, 10:15 PM   #19
troutbum69
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
Link?

I need something on the nose of my riverhawk before too long. It's wearing in an area just from sliding it up on concrete boat ramps. I try to pull up on the upstream side off the ramp when I can, but now and then that isn't possible.

Jerry the wetlander stuff is supposedly pretty good but if you're worried about the abrasion on the kinda stem/keel area you may consider grinding it down and glassing in a strip of Kevlar. They sell kits for canoes or you could just order a yard of Kevlar for a few bucks and a quart kit of epoxy. However I don't think epoxy sticks to gelcoat/polyester resin so you'd have to use poly resin. I know people do it with canoes all the time so it could be worth looking into.

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-17, 10:40 PM   #20
JerryG
Native

I just stumbled across a site, www.keeleazy.com that has some pretty cost effective peel and stick options.

Seems like 3M or someone would offer something similar for an industrial application that could be used on a keel, but if they do I haven't found it.

JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote