NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-16, 04:00 PM   #1
Shampayne
Stocker

Default Upper Chattooga Slam

As another poster said a few weeks ago, I'm a "long-time lurker... first time poster."

I had Friday off this past week and took the opportunity to fish some water on the Chattooga that I've been eyeing for a while. The forecast called for overcast skies and rain later in the day... perfect for what I was after . On the drive up, I promised myself that I would hike the 1.5 miles from Burrell's Ford to the East Fork without even looking at the water as I knew the first deep long run would suck me in, and I'd never make it all the way up to Ellicott Rock. Of course, as soon as I saw the river I couldn't resist and started high sticking a black bugger with a black stonefly dropper in the first deep hole. As luck would have it this was a great decision. On the 7th or 8th cast my leader started to unfurl, I quickly raised the rod tip, and I was rewarded with what I assume was a native Brookie! I know they stock brookies in the DH, but being 10+ miles downstream, I'm thinking this was one of those rare brookies still left in big waters like the Chattooga (somebody please correct me if this sounds crazy. I know they stock rainbows by helicopter in the area between the DH and Burrell's, but I'm not sure about other browns or brookies).

With the skunk off early, I convinced myself to start hiking after that first hole, and I arrived at the East Fork about 25 minutes later. Alternating between high sticking and stripping the bugger/stonefly combo, I was into fish right away with a solid 11 inch rainbow in the first hole and a 10 inch brownie from the second. Not even 10:00 AM and I already had the Slam! Pretty awesome.

I fished my way upstream for the next 5-6 hours, mostly stripping the wooly bugger but with a little indicator nymphing mixed in. Both strategies worked though the bugger produced more fish, especially bigger browns. I ended up with 5 bows, 5 brownies, and that one brookie. Of course I missed a bunch more. The two best fish were beautiful browns in the 13-14 inch range. The 18+ brownie that I was searching for eluded me, but I figure now I have a reason to go back. Overall, it was a great day on some of the best trout water in the southeast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1021.jpg (64.5 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1039.JPG (125.7 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1050.jpg (59.2 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1053.JPG (123.1 KB, 183 views)
Shampayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-16, 04:08 PM   #2
Speck
Hall of Fame Member, Moderator

Welcome aboard.

Though some might, I wouldn't rule out a wild brookie anywhere. I've caught too many in the 4" range where they shouldn't have been to do that.

All nice fish. They always seem to be well colored up there.

Follower of Christ
Pursuer of trout
-------------------------------------------------
"Your genuine action will explain itself and will explain your other genuine actions. Your conformity explains nothing." -- Emerson
Speck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-16, 04:34 PM   #3
Chickasaw
Native

SC occasionally stocks Brookies near the BF bridge and the campground area. It's not unusual for some stockers to move upstream.
Chickasaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-16, 05:42 PM   #4
Deerhuntingdawg
Native

Awesome deal and nice trout!
Deerhuntingdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-16, 06:46 PM   #5
Swamp Angel
President

I would definitely say that was a good day! Nice photos too. You've convinced me I need to go tie up a bunch of woolly buggers for this weekend when I finally get to see north Georgia for a few days.

If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-16, 08:21 PM   #6
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Welcome to the board and great report of what seems like a great day. Its a great time of the year to talk a long walk and fish....

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 12:14 AM   #7
FlickNdip
Native

Heck of a first post. Welcome!

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!
FlickNdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 08:28 AM   #8
Pondjumpr
Native

Great report. I have had mixed success above BF. Usually a day worth bragging about or a day that I just struck out. Not much in between. It sounds like you had the day worth bragging about.

Great job and great report. Welcome to the board.
Pondjumpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-16, 10:16 AM   #9
Trouter23
Native

Bravo! Excellent first post!