NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Watercraft
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-18, 09:58 AM   #1
BigBrownBrad
Native

Default Lake Lanier in a Riverhawk

Hey guys,
I have my Riverhawk B60 near lake Lanier on the I-985 side of the southern part of the lake. There is so much boat traffic that Iím having a hard time fishing. Where are some better areas on the lake to fish in my little boat? What boat ramps would you recommend?
Thanks,
Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigBrownBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-18, 10:12 AM   #2
skibum
Hall of Fame Member

I would not touch Lanier until well after Labor Day. A no wake area is your best bet.
Old 08-07-18, 06:42 PM   #3
Swamp Angel
President

I run a Gheenoe LT15. Lanier is absolutely frightening during the summer- particularly on the weekends. If you MUST go out on that crazy water, I would suggest putting in at Lanier Point Park in Gainesville and fishing the coves while holding close to the edges and staying away from open water. The coves and fingers are mostly “no wake” zones because of the docks, but then again, not too many of these pleasure boaters, skiers, tubers, and wave runners seem to care much about laws and regulations.

Best advice is to hit the river and avoid the lake like the plague until after Thanksgiving. It’s just too nuts out there for River Hawks and Gheenoes right now unless you’re carrying heavy artillery aboard so you can fight back.
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-18, 07:03 PM   #4
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

I would say the same for most major lakes. Hartwell and Clark Hill Lakes are probably not as bad as Lanier, but plenty bad enough. Russell has a ton of standing timber and plenty just below the water surface, so there are not as many jet skis and skiers, tubes and the like.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-18, 11:58 AM   #5
Stinkbait
Native

I have a B60 and think you run the risk of getting swamped by a wave off of one of those big cruisers as well as run over by the speed merchants out there. I don't put it on a lake with powerboats until the water is too cold to swim or ski.
Stinkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-18, 03:41 PM   #6
muddy waters
Native

I'd think never/nowhere would be the best answer for a riverhawk on lanier. I don't like being on the metro area lakes in a ski boat during the summer let alone something that can get swamped in big wake. The no-wake zones aren't gonna help either. Last saturday i went out to a no-wake zone of Allatoona near a public boat ramp and got to enjoy two kids on jet skis doing doughnuts and trying to jump their own wake about 75 yards away from the boat ramp while circling around an "idle speed no wake" buoy. The main channel looked like 285 if every other driver was drunk.

Say what y'all will about the tube hatch but nobody's ever gotten a boat swamped by one of them.
muddy waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-18, 01:15 PM   #7
AllTimeLow
Native

My suggestions, go way north and be off the lake by 930-10. I fished my gheenoe up there in the winter, no problem. Wahoo Creek has a little ramp and the fishing in and around there is pretty good, crappie, spots & stripers. Toto Creek is on the Chestatee side. Thompson and Clark Bridge areas up around Gainesville. You can always go up to Lula Bridge, real pretty area. South end of the lake as mentioned is pretty rough especially after about 10. After Labor Day it will settle down a lot and now that school is back in, if you can go during the week, it wont be too bad.
AllTimeLow is offline   Reply With Quote