NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Watercraft
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-16, 07:16 AM   #21
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Good looking stuff, I can't imagine the satisfaction those of you who build these things get when you use the end product.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-16, 11:52 PM   #22
troutbum69
Native

Thanks T!

Took y'all long enough to catch on (thread move)

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-16, 10:59 PM   #23
troutbum69
Native

Tomorrow she'll be a boat versus pieces of one

"Stop Whining"
Old 10-31-16, 10:54 AM   #24
fishmonger
Past Director, Hall of Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum69 View Post
Took y'all long enough to catch on (thread move)
Nah, it was noticed immediately, it just took that long to bug me enough to move it.

Cool project! Keep the updates coming.

FM

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder
fishmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-16, 06:12 PM   #25
orey10m
Native

Very cool! Where are you working on this? That looks like a serious shop.
I am currently trying to build a cajon (a simple box drum, musical instrument, (and no, not "cajones" )). Anyway, it's literally a box and it's been tough. But I'm building it on the floor of my garage with one circular saw, no clamps, and a loyal friend haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-16, 09:37 PM   #26
troutbum69
Native

As the great Rick James once said, "I wish I had more hands..." Fighting 34 feet of 1/4 inch ply by yourself is an exercise in futility. Tomorrow with a little help I'll have the sweeping lines of a drift boat vs two awkward looking trapezoids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
Old 10-31-16, 09:50 PM   #27
troutbum69
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by orey10m View Post
Very cool! Where are you working on this? That looks like a serious shop.
I am currently trying to build a cajon (a simple box drum, musical instrument, (and no, not "cajones" )). Anyway, it's literally a box and it's been tough. But I'm building it on the floor of my garage with one circular saw, no clamps, and a loyal friend haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It's actually not a serious shop at all. Might as well be an empty wearhouse. That giant compressor in the background runs all the big flat bed printers downstairs. Everything else you see is basically junk that my boss won't throw away because we have the space to store it.
I work at a wide format printing company. So when I decided I wanted to build a boat and a third of our warehouse was unused I knew I could make it work. I unfortunately chose the corner with no outlets so I have a 150 ft cord run from the nearest outlet.

The building itself used to be a furniture showroom on the ground floor with all the inventory stored upstairs. There's a conveyor belt running next to the stairwell going upstairs. That's my escape plan. Plenty of room, just going to take a few guys. Having all this space is nice but I've had to build my whole work area with stuff that I had to remember to bring to work. So you can imagine going to assemble your work table out of a pallet and some 2x4 only to realize you forgot to bring screws. Stuff like that has been annoying but I'm not complaining.

As far as your project goes I'd say the thing I've learned about woodworking is have the right tool or skill for the job. And I'd say so far that's always been basic saw, hand plane, and clamps. This is my first real woodworking project though so I could be dead wrong. Go to harbor freight and get a handful of bar clamps and those spring clamps. These things aren't the nicest but they make life much easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
Old 10-31-16, 11:22 PM   #28
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Default For Sale: Rowing Lessons

I remember that step! The reason it's so hard....if I remember right....your boat is upside down. Flip everything over and then attach stem and transom. (Note: you can attach one side of the stem and transom as it sits now.) The angles on the stem and transom will cause the plywood panels to curl upward....giving the rocker to the hull.

As it lays now....the plywood wants to curve downward....so you're working against the weight of the boat.

Also use your widest frame to spread the panels to the proper width. Just wedge it in there for the time being.

Looking good!

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-16, 01:35 PM   #29
David Hulsey
Trout Wrangler

Looks great Troutbum! You got me wanting to build another McKenzie. I built mine back in 2000 a Ken Hankinson design and have literally done hundreds of guide trips out of her. She will serve you well if you take care of her.
David Hulsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-16, 01:51 PM   #30
troutbum69
Native

Thanks David

Drifter, I'm not saying you're wrong because you have a boat and I have pieces of one but everything I've seen including my directions say to assemble upside down. I forgot my jackstands to suspend the middle of the hull so the stem and transom can touch the ground though so I may be delayed another day. May just make something out of scrap to get me through

ETA: just ran up with a coworker and got the other panel fastened to the stem, she went from two slabs to a gorgeous drifter in about 2 minutes, now the fun begins

"Stop Whining"

Last edited by troutbum69; 11-01-16 at 02:44 PM.