NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Watercraft
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-18, 01:49 PM   #351
troutbum69
Native

Thanks Carl, just still fishing the half finished interior. Oar wraps are holding up great. How is your boat coming along?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-18, 01:41 AM   #352
Warmouth
Native

Location: Boise, ID by way of Opelika AL, by way of East Tennessee

Well, funny you should ask. Exactly one year ago today I herniated a disc in my back while backpacking in the Sawtooth mountains, and let's just say it changed my life. Not for the better. I had surgery on it six weeks later and am still in pain 24/7. For the past year I have been pretty sedentary and the boat has been collecting dust and taunting me. I thought about having a bonfire with it because I could not work on it and I imagined I'd never be able to row it. But just this summer I started getting back at living again. Did an ultralight pack trip (19 pound pack) into the Middle Fork of the Salmon and a 3 day rafting trip on a river in Oregon. Managed to row quite a bit and did ok. Just in the past week I started doing some work on the boat again. My 19 year old son, who has never had a lot of interest in river stuff got a job with a whitewater and fly fishing outfitter in Oregon this summer (he is in Hell's Canyon working the sweeper boat right now) and is suddenly into fly fishing, rowing, long hair, a beard, and trucker's caps. He only had about 4 days off all summer but he came home for those days and was eyeing the boat. So I'm hoping to get some help from him on it - although he goes back to college in two weeks. Sorry - long answer to a simple question.

Your boat looks really awesome. Very nice work!

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3
Warmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-18, 05:24 PM   #353
troutbum69
Native

Thanks Carl. I'm sorry to hear about your problems and am glad you're turning back around. As you know, it's a whole lot easier rowing a wood boat vs a raft. So you got that going for you. I think you should hang onto the boat for a while to incentivize your son to row you around. Once he's earned it he can have it. I can't remember if it's 16 or 14 foot. If it's 16 it'd be really cool if he decked it over for the big rivers.

Also, I'm going to need some pictures of the sweep boats. Those things fascinate me. In my mind it's like running a shipping barge through the tight bends in the Mississippi. You get one shot, and if you didn't setup right a quarter mile up river you're done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote