NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fly Tying Bench > Fly Tying Tips and Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-16, 08:47 PM   #1
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Default mop fly

Put up a new video on my you tube channel for the Mop Fly. I hope this helps some folks catch some fish. If you are new to tying, the ease of this fly ranks up there with the san juan worm, and it catches fish just about as well as that classic.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Last edited by Swamp Angel; 10-13-16 at 09:33 PM.
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-16, 10:48 PM   #2
Prowler
Native, aka Tooga Prowler

Nice job again T.

Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-16, 10:20 AM   #3
HILLIS LANIER
Native

Default Mop Fly

Here is an article from WSJ about the Mop Fly. A fun article to read. If you fish with a mop fly I suppose you are a renegade. I guess I am now a renegade, because yesterday for the first time I fished with a brown and a tan mop fly. I fished Paces and caught several on the mop. My fishing buddy caught more than twice as many as I caught, and he was not fishing with a mop fly, so was it my skills or is the mop not all that it is cut out to be? Regardless, it was a great day on the river, and I will fish the mop again.

Last edited by HILLIS LANIER; 12-21-16 at 06:16 AM.
HILLIS LANIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-16, 11:05 AM   #4
3-wt
Native, formerly known as "Streamside Sam"

They also cast dispersions on our beloved squirmy worms:

"The Czech fishing union banned the squirmy wormy from competitions after a U.S. team used it to win a European contest. “I never will fish with this, and I hope every clever and real flyfisherman is in the same boat,” says Martin Musil, a nuclear-power-plant worker who heads the union"

I guess I'm just one of the great unwashed, as I like both mops and squirmies.

Mark
Old 11-12-16, 11:19 AM   #5
Swamp Angel
President

Great article, Hillis. I can jes' see some of those uppity, snooty, aristocratic type folks needin' their smellin' salts at the appearance of a mop fly. (Wonder what they'd do if'n somebody was to tie a fly that looked like a kernel of corn?)
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-16, 04:34 PM   #6
retiredmp
BOD Member, Hall of Fame Member

After fishing on the Tuck this past Thursday - the mop fly brought more fish in my hands then the rest of the flies tried during the day. I caught a nice rainbow 24" and weighed around 4lbs - what a nice surprise in the DH. She put a great fight. I had an awesome day fishing with Mac Brown as my guide.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!
retiredmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-16, 04:43 PM   #7
WesMac
Native

Say what you will and love them or hate them but Mop and squirmy worm flys put fish in the net!
WesMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-16, 06:17 PM   #8
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

I promise you if one were to look through the fly box of most mop and squirmy haters you would find plenty of flies that look less like natural forage. Like that classic wooly bugger.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-16, 09:42 PM   #9
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Here's another variation:

I'm hearing that mops are doing really well on the Tuck DH now. I had good success with them a couple of weeks ago on the Nantahala DH.

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-16, 09:18 PM   #10
Dtroutmann
Native

I use the mop a bunch, i love junk flies, with the mop I find it needs extra weight because of current really grabs it so I tye it with a lil more Tungsten than usual. Also skinny worms rule too. They grab the current as well but sink pretty fast with a lil extra weight, both slay a tailwater

Trophies are relative
Dtroutmann is offline   Reply With Quote