NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-16, 01:37 PM   #1
splatek16

Default Settle's Bridge

New to flyfishing, but totally hooked, sorry...that's a horrible pun. As I told my buddy in NC, "It's like crack!" His reply, "Better than crack!" <truth>

Anyhow, I'd tried at Settle's Bridge about 3-4 times and was convinced there was no fish in there and chalked it up to casting practice. But yesterday, after a little prodding by my girlfriend (who turned me on to the sport of flyfishing thru a gifted guided trip to the Tuck; I think she wanted me out of the house to wrap some xmas gifts) I decided I'd go practice casting. I am not all that familiar with wading so I don't get out too far and this time I started by fishing the water in small sections (as recommended in a recent tips from DNR). Slowly moving across the river closer to the rocks that you can stand on (above the water) and then slowly moving out into the shallows.

I saw a bump in the indicator (thinkagamabobber) and felt a tug, but chalked it up to hitting bottom, because as I had believed, there weren't any fish in that section of the river. Then the indicator went down again and I set the hook on my first fish from that area! It was a small brown (image attached). That was the first of 3 yesterday in just about 60-90 minutes. All browns; this was the smallest. I was using a scud grub (grey) and a pheasant tail nymph.

This really pleases me, because I had been driving to Smith's earlier in the week and while that's not bad, having something 10-15 minutes from the house makes a quick 60-90 minute outing super easy and convenient. Smith's was productive. Monday in the rain I brought about 8 to hand, hooked a little over a dozen; the two other times I went I didn't do as well (6 to hand one day and 3 the next, still not bad days and unicoi park was a great discovery for me with a 6 year old crazy boy that loves the outdoors. He and I will be spending a little time there in the Spring, Summer).

Anyhow, being a newb, any advice, tips, etc would be greatly greatly appreciated!

SP

Last edited by splatek16; 01-12-17 at 05:10 PM.
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-16, 02:33 PM   #2
gau16
Native

Excellent! Nice work. Settles has some fish there for sure, don't you worry. The brown in my avatar came from Settles.

I would say settles is a step up in wading difficulty. Nothing crazy but just some holes that might get you waist high/navel high.

I havent been up there in a bit but the water may be a little cloudy now being so close to the dam and the lake being in turnover mode. Just take small baby steps and you should be fine. There are "routes" to navigate the whole section just be patient in finding your way. Once you learn it and become more confident in your wading you'll get in to plenty more fish there.
gau16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-16, 04:52 PM   #3
joshM
Native

Looks fun! I'm hoping to get out in the water once I open my christmas gift (my first ever setup) from my boys.

Keep the pics and stories coming!
joshM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-16, 08:08 AM   #4
Zeeee
Native

My tip(s) would be to be careful around settles if you aren't familiar with the area especially with the turnover we get from above the Dam. Several deep spots in the area and we most certainly don't need another news story about someone missing especially this time of the year with colder temps. A wading staff would be a good idea as well. Forgive me if you are very familiar with the area or just staying on the rocks. If you have a float tube or kayak, that may be a little easier than wading right now. Make sure to check the release times because you don't want to be caught in the middle of the river when the water is rising. Other than that, get a good drift, don't be afraid to change it up, and hold your mouth right
Zeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-16, 09:49 AM   #5
splatek16

Thanks.

@Zeee yeah, I am not going out too far. Just about knee deep. I am not trying to become a statistic. I actually broke my finger being washed away at settles 8 years ago when I first moved to GA. I was just hiking. It started to rain and apparently water was released (at the time I knew nothing about the water release, literally had been here 4 weeks) and voila, before I knew it the water was on the rock, then up to my ankles, by the time I turned and started to head back in it was up to mid shin / knee on the rocks I had just walked out on. I slipped, the current got me and I am pretty sure if I hadn't snug my finger on a branch or rock (breaking it in 3 places) that I might have met my demise that day.

I think my boy and I are going to try to help with the DH bucket brigade and hopefully that will help me learn a bit more about that area of the river, as well. Until then, I am checking water release and not going too deep at settles.
Old 12-13-16, 06:40 PM   #6
splatek16

No pics today.
I had about 30-35 minutes to sneak into Settle's Bridge before heading home.

Hooked into a monster Brown - when it jumped it not only threw the hook, but startled me, yeah it was that big.
Brought one rainbow to hand.
Old 12-15-16, 09:01 PM   #7
Alexander.Foti
Native

If you are new to fly fishing check out the Orvis guide to fly fishing podcast. Amazing resource
Old 12-18-16, 03:16 PM   #8
splatek16

Thanks. Will do.
I've been watching some casting and nymphing and what not.
Old 12-19-16, 05:34 PM   #9
splatek16

Default Nothing today (12/19/16)

spent a few hours at Settle's today. The water was low; cloudy, seemed perfect. I hooked in to two fish, but both broke the tippet. After that: nada.
Days like this are perfect for forcing me to practice casting, like the roll cast, haul and double haul.
Old 12-19-16, 09:42 PM   #10
PFLY24
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
spent a few hours at Settle's today. The water was low; cloudy, seemed perfect. I hooked in to two fish, but both broke the tippet. After that: nada.
Days like this are perfect for forcing me to practice casting, like the roll cast, haul and double haul.
What setup did you try today?
PFLY24 is offline   Reply With Quote