NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-16, 11:37 PM   #11
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFLY24 View Post
What setup did you try today?
Today I started differently: floated a bugger with a nymph under an indicator (air max - like a thingamabobber but with a screw to keep it in place). Then I tried just about everything else in my box, and had nothing, well two hits that broke the line - one swam into some rocks and another just broke off at the knot.

I'll be back to try again, now that I know there are fish there. I saw a fish jump pretty far out, but when casted too, wasn't hitting anything.
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-16, 12:35 AM   #12
zug buggin
Native

I love Settles, one of my favorite spots on the Hooch, Its been a few years ago but I pulled a 20" Brown from under the huge boulders on the west side of the river just barely under the bridge. The bank was lined with the corn and worm fishermen it caused quite a commotion when I held it up for a pic then released it back into the river. They all thought I had lost my mind.
Pay attention to the release times, I went downstream from the bridge and lost track of time, the banks were straight up and the water stated coming up scared the heck out of me as it was difficult climbing up those banks

The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane
zug buggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-16, 06:58 AM   #13
djangofly
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
Today I started differently: floated a bugger with a nymph under an indicator (air max - like a thingamabobber but with a screw to keep it in place). Then I tried just about everything else in my box, and had nothing, well two hits that broke the line - one swam into some rocks and another just broke off at the knot.

I'll be back to try again, now that I know there are fish there. I saw a fish jump pretty far out, but when casted too, wasn't hitting anything.
Next time you go out, you might want to try a different spool of tippet. I bought some 5x from Orvis online a few weeks ago and had a very frustrating hour or two of breakoffs before I realized the tippet was defective.
djangofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-16, 06:58 AM   #14
splatek16

@Zug it's so close to my house that I go as much as I can, if for nothing else just to practice my casting, drifting, etc. But wrangling a few fish outta there is always a good time. 20" Brown sounds like a blast. I've heard there are big ones in there. They didn't seem to be hitting anything for me, or the other two fisherman that were there. And yeah, the water scares me too, but I always check after having a similar thing happen to me. Better luck next time I guess.
Old 12-20-16, 08:57 AM   #15
Zeeee
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by djangofly View Post
Next time you go out, you might want to try a different spool of tippet. I bought some 5x from Orvis online a few weeks ago and had a very frustrating hour or two of breakoffs before I realized the tippet was defective.
Tippet does go bad over time from what I hear. I personally prefer fluorocarbon and brand wise either trout hunter when I have a few extra bucks or Rio. Depends on who has them. Also just from my experience, Orvis tippet hasn't cut it for me. I will say this, wouldn't you rather spend a few extra bucks and have the ability to net a keeper instead of breaking off? I know I would
Zeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-16, 10:05 AM   #16
The Field and Fly
Native

Good job! Although I'm a guide we all used to be newb's at some point. I was too hard headed to hire a guide or ask for help when I started out. I can say that's a big mistake. I would have advanced my knowledge much faster and wasted less precious river time back then if I would have taken help from a guide or even a friend.

Good work and keep it up. Feel free to hit me up anytime you have a quick question!
Old 12-20-16, 07:30 PM   #17
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeee View Post
Tippet does go bad over time from what I hear. I personally prefer fluorocarbon and brand wise either trout hunter when I have a few extra bucks or Rio. Depends on who has them. Also just from my experience, Orvis tippet hasn't cut it for me. I will say this, wouldn't you rather spend a few extra bucks and have the ability to net a keeper instead of breaking off? I know I would
Fellas, great advice, but I am literally so new to this sport that my tippet is only a few weeks old. I got RIO I think - amazon had a deal. I have 3, 4, 5x - it was the 5 x that broke off. Before that I was just using 4#test mono.
Old 12-20-16, 07:33 PM   #18
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Field and Fly View Post
Good job! Although I'm a guide we all used to be newb's at some point. I was too hard headed to hire a guide or ask for help when I started out. I can say that's a big mistake. I would have advanced my knowledge much faster and wasted less precious river time back then if I would have taken help from a guide or even a friend.

Good work and keep it up. Feel free to hit me up anytime you have a quick question!
Thank man!
MY first trip was actually a guided trip on the Tuck in NC. My GF's bday gift to me. I have thought about hiring a guide on the hooch, but most are float trips and since I am never, probably, going to float, I need a guide for wading. I am devouring information as fast as I can find it. I learned today about strikes and how subtle they can be, and how to at least try to set the hook.
And be careful, being a professor I have a very inquisitive nature and will certainly ask questions....

Learning curve...happening. lol
Old 12-20-16, 07:49 PM   #19
zug buggin
Native

Quote:
Fellas, great advice, but I am literally so new to this sport that my tippet is only a few weeks old. I got RIO I think - amazon had a deal. I have 3, 4, 5x - it was the 5 x that broke off. Before that I was just using 4#test mono.
didnt you say the the tippet was cut by rocks and the2nd failed at a knot ? Neither is the tippets fault, I have bought old tippet off the shelf and it failed as I would pull the knots tight, I've also let my tippet get old hanging on my vest, but a knot failing is many more times user error than tippet failure. Also I've been very critical of Orvis in the past and on many fronts I still am but Orvis Super Strong is my favorite mono tippet I've never had a problem that wasnt directly related to old tippet material or improperly tied or improperly tightened knots or failing to check the tippet enough for abrasions or windknots, yet sometimes the trout just busts off and wins the fight

The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane

Last edited by zug buggin; 12-20-16 at 08:01 PM.
zug buggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-16, 04:37 AM   #20
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Quote:
Thank man!
MY first trip was actually a guided trip on the Tuck in NC. My GF's bday gift to me. I have thought about hiring a guide on the hooch, but most are float trips and since I am never, probably, going to float, I need a guide for wading. I am devouring information as fast as I can find it. I learned today about strikes and how subtle they can be, and how to at least try to set the hook.
And be careful, being a professor I have a very inquisitive nature and will certainly ask questions....

Learning curve...happening. lol
Alpharetta Outfitters offers guided wade trips on the hooch FYI.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote