NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-16, 04:36 PM   #1
splatek16

Default Euro nymph: First try (bowman's isle)

I've been hearing about this term - euro nymphing - and I figured I would give it a try. Watched a few youtube vids, read 1-2 blog posts for some self-learning. Seems weird, after learning how to cast reasonably well, now to go back to a funky mono cast. I tied up a few "french" nymphs and off we went to B isle for an hour or two, mainly just to check it out, because Big T said he was having so much luck there. I'd never been so I thought I would check it out... well worth it. There are miles of hiking trails to get to various places to get in the water. I only fell once and it didn't fill my waders like yesterday

Not far from the first bank to put in I hooked a few pretty little browns. These are my first Yellow/buttery browns. Only one pic, because I still haven't bought a water proof case, blah blah. All fish caught on flies I tied, which really makes me happy

Also, a question: given the slick conditions at the dam, bowman's, settle's and elsewhere do people on here use/recommend felt bottomed wading boots? I am using some old hiking boots and while I played ice hockey my entire life, skating thru a river seems dangerous...

Last edited by splatek16; 01-12-17 at 05:10 PM.
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-16, 04:41 PM   #2
2fly
Ex-BOD, Hall Of Fame Member, Ex-Angler

Nice fish and yes felt bottom soles at a minimum and felt with studs even better. I have found that the new Patagonia rock tractors with rubber bottoms and aluminum traction bars work very well but are very expensive.
2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-16, 04:44 PM   #3
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

Looks like you killed it for your first outing Euro Nymphing! That's a beauty of a brown
Sighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-16, 04:53 PM   #4
splatek16

Thanks! And thanks for the boot rec. I am sorta budget minded... not sure how that's possible fly fishing, but I am trying....

off to bass pro... boots and more tying materials.
Winter break has been filled with fishing, tying, and meeting cool peeps.
Old 12-27-16, 05:08 PM   #5
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Nice job! Felt is your friend but even better with metal studs. I have screwed in 3/8 inch sheet metal screws that are cheap but won't last a long time.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-16, 05:31 PM   #6
WPrich
Native

Nice brown splatek and congrats on a successful first trip nymphing. Like everyone else said felt with studs is best, I have the korkers studded felt and I haven't taken a fall in a while(knock on wood).
WPrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-16, 06:06 PM   #7
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
Nice job! Felt is your friend but even better with metal studs. I have screwed in 3/8 inch sheet metal screws that are cheap but won't last a long time.
Appreciate it. I figure since my feet are what constitute my base spending a little on boots should be OK. It'll give me something to use my gift cards on...
Old 12-27-16, 07:18 PM   #8
djangofly
Native

If you are looking to conserve funds, try getting gently used stuff on eBay. I got a pair of simm's g3 waders someone had worn for 1 season for $187 and a pair of barely used Simm's felt soled wading boots for $50.
djangofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-16, 08:24 AM   #9
ChaChung
Native

I saw that someone recommended Stream Trekkers for slick rocks in that area and decided to try it out. It works really well. You can just slip it on over your current pair of wading boots and you'll notice the huge difference. I got it on amazon for $30.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith
ChaChung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-16, 11:40 AM   #10
Joe_Atlanta
Native

Way to go! The drive to learn and adventuresome spirit that you and some other new fly fishers have displayed is inspirational, even for a worn out old fart like myself.

Yes, do figure out some way to get some more traction, the rocks at the dam are infamous for their slickness.