NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-16, 03:07 PM   #1
splatek16

Default Smith Creek (Euro nymphing, take 2)

Was going to hit some lower parts of the 'hooch today, but the wind and the late morning water release put the kabash on that.... So, I decided to drive up to Smith Creek. Haven't been there in a bit. It was really crowded. There were like 10-12 names in the book before I signed it. I figured it would be a terrible day. I talked to a few guys when I showed up and when I was leaving and every report was for 1-2, 3 fish was the max. Well, not for me. Been working my euro nymphing technique a little, and on a place like Smith, which is basically designed for it, I ended up bringing about 15 to hand; hooked a couple more, but they threw the hook. It was cold, really cold. I only stayed for about 90 minutes; once my hands were so cold I couldn't tie a fly on, it was time to check out (and by check out I mean throw about 20-30 more casts with what's on the line and then leave).

What's even cooler, to me, is that I caught every fish on a fly I tied. In fact, I am not even sure I carry flies that I didn't tie anymore, maybe a few stone flies or pheasant tails. I was crushing them hard earlier in my day on a #12 and #14 Frenchie nymph I tied. I tied about 10 yesterday, planning on the hooch visit, but decided to use them at Smith. They worked. I did catch 2 on a black based zebra midge I tied, but they weren't hitting anything else. No junk food, nothing.

On the way out I saw a younger fisherman who said he had just caught one fish all day. I gave him one of my frenchies and wished him good luck. #payingitforward

I also broke in my new felt sole boots; cheapo boots from gander mountain, but they were virtually free because of some gift cards and family discounts.

I also stopped by Unicoi Outfitters and picked up a few tying supplies; great little place and turns out it is really close to Habersham winery, so I grabbed the GF a few bottles of red (#NYE). All-in-all a pretty darn good day.

Happy new year to you all; hopefully I will be able to meet and fish with a couple of you before too long.

Last edited by splatek16; 01-12-17 at 05:10 PM.
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 03:16 PM   #2
Zeeee
Native

Congrats! I remember my first beer, I mean fly tie lol just messing around. It is quite a good feeling to catch fish on your own tie for the first time. Smith's generally gets a little crowded on the weekends or Friday's but glad to hear you are getting the hang of Euro-nymphing and were able to have yourself a day! (or a few hours) Makes me a little jealous sitting here at work in my cubicle...
Zeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 03:18 PM   #3
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

Great Report! Looks like you had them all figured out, they were refusing junk flies since yesterday when I was there, seems like they adapted pretty well.

Good call on the wine too, nothing like wine to make up for fishing all day, Happy New Years!
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 03:46 PM   #4
2fly
Ex-BOD, Hall Of Fame Member, Ex-Angler

great job sticking with the tight line nymphing and congrats on catching fish on your flies. Catching fish always makes the cold a little easier to tolerate.
2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 04:44 PM   #5
WPrich
Native

Way to go man, a double digit day with flies you tied seems like a great day. I stopped by Unicoi last month and it is a cool little shop with some nice knowledgeable guys like Jake and Jackson and they have some great prices and selection as well.
WPrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 04:56 PM   #6
splatek16

Thanks y'all.

Learning curve is coming along, still very steep, but coming...

Unicoi is cool; however, how can a place like that be out of black thread!? I got some other colorful supplies, but really could use some black thread. Hello, amazon...lol
Old 12-30-16, 07:10 PM   #7
jmontee
Native

I'd bet there are a lot of black zebra midges on vices right now!!
jmontee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 09:53 PM   #8
Joe_Atlanta
Native

Congrats, nothing builds confidence in a technique like really getting on them. Way to go!
Old 12-31-16, 09:59 AM   #9
splatek16

Joe, thanks man. I agree about confidence and practice. I am by no means getting as many fish as I think I can on the technique, but learning. Detecting strikes on the euro rig is both fun and challenging. As the morning moved on I feel like I got a little better, but ... missed a few, I am sure of it.

Also, thanks for all the positivity on the board! I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Atlanta View Post
Congrats, nothing builds confidence in a technique like really getting on them. Way to go!
Old 12-31-16, 11:58 AM   #10
2fly
Ex-BOD, Hall Of Fame Member, Ex-Angler

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
Joe, thanks man. I agree about confidence and practice. I am by no means getting as many fish as I think I can on the technique, but learning. Detecting strikes on the euro rig is both fun and challenging. As the morning moved on I feel like I got a little better, but ... missed a few, I am sure of it.

Also, thanks for all the positivity on the board! I love it!
Considering you are using a 8' 4 wt, I'd say you did outstanding at nymphing. If you ever try out a true tight line nymphing rod you'll be surprised at how much better you can detect, control drift, and protect lighter tippets. Good job dude.
2fly is offline   Reply With Quote