NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-16, 11:25 AM   #1
StayFly
Stocker

Default Island Ford advice

This is my first post; I'd consider myself a novice angler and intermediate flyfisherman. I got some new gear for Christmas and trying to get back into flyfishing after a few year hiatus. Looking forward to picking it back up!

I've been out to island ford a couple of times over the past few weeks due to its proximity to home. I haven't had any luck yet (been using y2ks, hare ear, and beadhead nymphs with strike indicator). Does anyone have advice for IF, and/or fishing the hooch DH in general for this time of year? Or am I better off changing locations?

Happy New Year to all and Thanks in advance! I'll continue to search through the Hooch message board for information.
StayFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-16, 11:54 AM   #2
2fly
Ex-BOD, Hall Of Fame Member, Ex-Angler

IF fishes tough in the winter time since most fish are holdovers and not recently stocked so naturals are the way to go. Egg patterns have never worked well at IF and hares ears are the most dominant pattern. Size 16 and 18 sizes tend to work better in the winter with 12 and 14 being the spring/summer size. Hares ears soft hackles will produce in 16's. Also a good time to throw zebra midges in 18 and 20's. You have to get your flies to the bottom as the fish are pretty much hugging it right now with the river temps in the 50's. In faster water, tight line techniques are a more effective way to get your flies down fast and no hinge effect. Deep slow water is good for an indicator or dry/dropper. IF is great water to perfect your techniques as it has all water types.
2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-16, 12:04 PM   #3
splatek16

I am pretty new to flyfishing as well and haven't tried IF, yet. But, if you want to catch some fish and get your chops back on fly-ing try white water, they just stocked it a few weeks ago or smith creek. Smith is pretty easy, low water, simple wading, tons of fish. just my 2 cents.
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-16, 02:36 PM   #4
WPrich
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fly View Post
Size 16 and 18 sizes tend to work better in the winter with 12 and 14 being the spring/summer size. Hares ears soft hackles will produce in 16's. Also a good time to throw zebra midges in 18 and 20's. You have to get your flies to the bottom as the fish are pretty much hugging it right now with the river temps in the 50's.
Thanks for the info about nymph size Mr. Pat, I was still fishing the larger 12's and 14's when I saw you out there the other day. I caught a few but may have caught more if I had down sized my nymphs a bit.
WPrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-16, 08:31 PM   #5
djangofly
Native

Just out of curiosity, when/how do they stock IF? I haven't fished it since the DH began downstream because of the sheer abundance of fish elsewhere closer to home.
djangofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-16, 08:37 PM   #6
2fly
Ex-BOD, Hall Of Fame Member, Ex-Angler

They have 2 stocking locations at IF. One at the boat ramp and one on the other side of the island.
2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-17, 09:44 AM   #7
djangofly
Native

Thanks 2Fly, that makes sense - I forgot there was a boat ramp there...
djangofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-17, 05:05 PM   #8
bozosnightmare
Native

I slipped out for about 90 minutes this afternoon with my new rig to try some tight lining. I expected a day of basically just casting/drifting practice since it was my 1st real tight line attempt when I actually got a good tug. He took a size 16 rainbow dubbed scud with a pink hot spot that was the bottom fly. Also had a size 16 hares ear on top. I wasn't trying to cover a ton of water and had the whole river to myself so I could fish anywhere I wanted. This one came out of a slower hole that was about 3' deep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (17.4 KB, 58 views)
bozosnightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-17, 05:46 PM   #9
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozosnightmare View Post
I slipped out for about 90 minutes this afternoon with my new rig to try some tight lining. I expected a day of basically just casting/drifting practice since it was my 1st real tight line attempt when I actually got a good tug. He took a size 16 rainbow dubbed scud with a pink hot spot that was the bottom fly. Also had a size 16 hares ear on top. I wasn't trying to cover a ton of water and had the whole river to myself so I could fish anywhere I wanted. This one came out of a slower hole that was about 3' deep.
Nice work!
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-17, 06:08 PM   #10
WPrich
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozosnightmare View Post
Nice one, makes me jealous I have to spend my new years in a cubicle at work
WPrich is offline   Reply With Quote