NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Fishing Tips and Techniques
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-17, 11:54 AM   #1
kliff
Stocker

Default Net Techniques

Hey there! I'm fairly new to fly fishing and just received a fly fishing net for Christmas. I used it for the first time yesterday but am having a hard time figuring out how to hold, and use it, without it getting in the way while casting. I use a Patagonia sling pack and am wondering if anyone has any tips to help me figure out how to best hold the net?
kliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-17, 11:59 AM   #2
Zeeee
Native

Stuff it between your wader belt if you are wading easier water or invest in a magnetic release and put it somewhere so if you drop your net, it doesn't float downstream.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1FyK5GSKHL.jpg

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about. A sling pack is too bulky for my likings. I use a chest pack and attach it to the clip behind and I can hang my net on there. I also have a fishpond mid length nomad that when I wade in places like Cherokee, I will stuff it between my wader belt.
Zeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-17, 12:07 PM   #3
iso1600
Native

I have the Patagonia Atom Stealth, and it's got a little D ring clip thing on the top of the bag, where the strap attaches to it. I clip my net there with one of those cheap ($9) magnet/leashes from amazon, and it works fine.
Old 02-16-17, 02:56 PM   #4
TurningStonesFlyFishing
Stocker

there is something called a gear keeper and they are awesome. it has a retractor that keeps the net out of your fishing zone until you need it. I highly recommend.
Old 02-16-17, 07:10 PM   #5
Mog
Hall of Fame Member

Gearkeeper... magnets are fine but Gearkeeper is great.
Old 03-10-17, 11:35 AM   #6
kjkornegay
Native

+1 gear keeper. When I had a short-handled net and a vest I used the gear keeper and loved it. Most vests have a D-ring in-between the shoulders and I hung it from there. 2 years ago I switched to a sling, and then about 18 months ago I received the fishpond mid-length net and these aren't as good of a match for the gear keeper .. now I keep it in the top-back of my waders, where the hoop of the net is behind my head. They also make backpacks I believe that have an incorporate sheath for net handles. Have fun!

"Some buffoon writes something and you guys are gonna jump like little monkeys in a cage for peanuts."
- Ned Yost

Follow @kjkornegay on Instagram
kjkornegay is offline   Reply With Quote